carb cooling fan trouble shoot (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you everyone for this thread. Just found mine fuse, 82 FJ40, to the right of the pedal assembly and it was blown.

My 40 has a header on it and the PO just left the wire going to the temp sensor hanging. Can I just ground it so the fan runs every time until the timer turns it off?

Years later and your post helped got my fan running for the the first time in 10years that I have owned my FJ40. Thanks
( The fuse is to the right of the pedal assembly above the gas pedal area with yellow tape.)

I believe mine just blew, will check next time I am up North. I can’t remember if the 5A fuse is if the shorter variety or full size like the fuses on the panel? Anyone want to chime in? @Coolerman ??! Thanks

It's been a couple of years since I messed with it, but pretty sure it is a full-sized glass fuse.

Thanks👍

1978 FJ40 here. My carb fan will turn on when directly connected to the battery, but not on a hot day. Then I ran across the carb fan fuse threads. I looked at a couple of photos online, browsed all the threads I could find on Mud, and thought I knew where this spot was, but I must be mistaken. Behind the heater hose, they say, to the right of the gas peddle they say... One photo looked to next to the large grommet through the firewall. Well, that would be to the left of the clutch peddle. I was up under my dash late last night looking for this fuse. I looked behind the main fuse panel and saw a lump in the wiring harness and was sure that was the fuse. It was not. I wrapped all those wires back up. I consulted my wiring diagram and again I couldn't find it. It would help if I saw a photo back up slightly.

Is it tucked up in the left corner behind the fuse panel? That's is the one place I didn't shove my hand, but I kinda think that is where it's at. I am not sure how I could wrap it back up with electrical tape tho, it seems very tight up there.

Here's a picture of mine, 1978 CA Spec, fuse next to the cooling relay module to the right of the heater......just happen to be working on it right this minute. My fuse is good but when I wiggle the connector into the module fan comes on. So I'm thinking a new (used) module is in my future.

20200604_171115_resized Fuse.jpg

Last edited:
That helped a lot. It took 2 seconds to find. Thank you.

Last edited:
E49A9418-7A07-4470-B935-E2C433FA63FA.jpeg
The carb cooling fan on my '80 FJ40 (which I think should be the same wiring as yours) had a blown fuse. The fuse is located under the dash on the drivers side. It was wrapped in tape with some other wires and not readily apparent. Try a liltle more searching and maybe you will find it. Good luck!
Hi Otis. Would it be this one circled in red? My ‘82 fan is not working either and want to make sure before I get into it as it is not easy to get to it. The AC controller is in the way for me too.

605DC681-DAA3-4D14-95CC-74EA49ACBAD6.jpeg

That's it same as my 81...just check the fuse mine has 15A installed which matches 81 wiring diagram.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom