Cape Lookout Cabin Trip - Labor Day Weekend - Sept 3-6 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

also please don’t forget to get your beach driving passes
Thank you. I had TOTALLY forgot. Just got mine paid.

As far as contributing, let me know what I can bring besides food/drink/wood

Yeah, let me know what I need to contribute to the food, and supplies needed.

Just hit the frame and underside with 3 cans of fluid film...... Anyone ever hold down a spray can nozzle for 3 full cans of spray? I can barely type this...

I forgot to mention. I am planning fish tacos for Saturday dinner. If others want that I can bring enough for the group so let me know so I can bring enough. If not that’s cool also.

That sounds fine to me!

I'll come up with a plan for the next few days. I'll sign up for dinner one night, just need to decide what to make. Suggestions on a theme? Could just do a different type of taco, but I could eat tacos every day of the week, lol.

Also, beach driving pass link is here:
Sorry for the late notification but I won’t be able to attend!!!!

Sorry for the late notification but I won’t be able to attend!!!!

Bummer, but no worries. Thanks for letting us know!

FOR EVERYONE ELSE!

@Pepper98 s ferry spots were 1200 on the 3rd and 1030 the 6th. If you want to change up your ferries, get that slot!

With the driving permit.
Do you have to print the confirmation permit email?
or will the email be fine to be issued the sticker?

I already paid for the pass and got both my email confirmations. In another section it said you had to have a paper copy of the permit but all they sent me was an email. I was thinking they would send me the permit as a file that I can print or something like that.

With the driving permit.
Do you have to print the confirmation permit email?
or will the email be fine to be issued the sticker?

I already paid for the pass and got both my email confirmations. In another section it said you had to have a paper copy of the permit but all they sent me was an email. I was thinking they would send me the permit as a file that I can print or something like that.
it's a pain. follow the link to the checkout page - look on the right side for "Print permit" and you have to print it - 2 pages and sign it and display in your window.

Yea, that permit process is stupid. Took me a while to find how to print the paper (it's back on the website not in the emails) that you have to waste paper on so they'll hand you the sticker you really need. :bang:

Fish Tacos sound great, so do tacos another night. I'm trying to think of what else would be good. I'm up for chipping in and helping cook if we come up with dinner plans.

At least they sell ice on the island so keeping a cooler cold (along with the fridge) shouldn't be too hard.

s***, I've gotta go print that out? Pita.
I had mine printed out and left it at home by the door. Got on the island and showed the ranger the email and she gave me a sticker.

I had mine printed out and left it at home by the door. Got on the island and showed the ranger the email and she gave me a sticker.
That's good to hear. I'm glad they are reasonable about it.

There was a post about a month ago from the Chief Ranger out there that was interesting. I think it was a response to someone that said they were told they couldn't sleep in a vehicle on Portsmouth.
Looks like they've stepped up law enforcement on Cape Lookout (and a little on Portsmouth) Since we all follow all the rules :cautious: it's just in case anyone is curious.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, they may fish in front of the cabins, but they may not camp & sleep in the Long Point Cabin Camp or in front of it. It has been signed for years & we lost some of the signs during Florence & Dorian, but it is also posted on the informational posters at the office & the bath house. We continue to have issues with this & the areas around the old cabins are not safe due to exposed piping, wiring, septics, etc.
Visitors can sleep in their vehicles if they are not in a closed area (i.e. bird closures, turtle closures, permanent soundside closures, the Back Road, or in camp, to include the ferry landing, or in front of the camp). If someone is dozing in their vehicle prior to their ferry departure & they are out of the way for us to load/unload equipment, & we have no reason to believe they slept in that spot all night, we probably won't contact them. We may observe them for a moment to determine if they are breathing, but probably wouldn't wake them up.
Rangers will be issued body cameras soon to help stop false claims on both sides.
This is the best & most pro-active staff that I have had in the last 5 years, so all visitors are going to see more law enforcement on the islands & the chances for interactions with those Rangers will also go up. Visitation is also higher this year & so are the number of violations that we are having to respond to.
Through July 18, the Visitor & Resource Protection Staff has issued:
1 arrest (DUI - alcohol related)
406 Verbal Warnings
39 Written Warnings
299 Fishing/Hunting license/limit checks
45 Violation Notices
14 for closure violations (camping, driving, fishing in closed areas
1 for hunting violation
2 for boating violations
6 for open containers
2 for fishing over the limit (all fishing without a valid license are given the opportunity to buy one on the spot online)
2 for operating a business without a valid permit
2 for pet violations (dog off leash or pet harassing wildlife)
8 for driving violations (riding on exterior portions of vehicles not designed for it, driving in dunes, allowing unlicensed person to drive, 2 persons on ATV)
7 for drug violations (possession of drugs, possession of paraphernalia)
1 for vandalism
So, as you can see, I think my staff is being extremely fair. These are the numbers that will drive my future decisions on where our focus needs to be & what enforcement actions need to be taken. 95% of the violation notices were written on South Core Banks. These numbers also do not take into account other actions such as visitor assists, search & rescue calls, medical calls, resource response calls for injured/stranded animals/birds, special events, training, etc.
You have my permission to share what you wish out of this email.
I think that the one fact that sticks out in my mind is the good record we on Portsmouth Island have with only 5 % of the violation notices. Let’s keep it that way and continue to work with the Park Service.

New informational posters were created this year & are posted on the exterior of the office building & on the exterior of both bathrooms at the bath house. These were created because visitors were observed still stopping at the cabin office to try to get ORV decals. New regulation signs have arrived & need to be installed at the ferry landing. The ones for Great Island were installed last month. These are large 6’ signs similar to the ones found at the Cape Hatteras beach ramps.
The signs in front of the cabins on the Oceanside beach are No Camping logo signs & several remained & several more were installed within the last several weeks. Sleeping in the cab of a vehicle or the bed of a vehicle meets the definition of camping. In order to call that fishing, you must be awake & actively manning any fishing equipment outside the vehicle.
Due to the heavier visitation on South Core & Shackleford Banks, I have directed most of the staff to those locations while they were being trained. There will be more of a law enforcement presence on North Core Banks starting in Aug.
After consulting with Marine Patrol & NC Wildlife, I will be sending out new instructions on how all 3 agencies will be inspecting fish & limits for those that are staying on the islands for multiple days & how multiple day fishing tournaments will be handled. I hope to have those ready to go by mid-Aug. & will send them out to the clubs & post on our website.
Thanks for the dialog & if you have any other questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to me.
Jill Jaworski
Chief Ranger
Cape Lookout National Seashore
131 Charles St.
Harkers Island, NC 28531
(252)838-8900

What are the rules for "open container" out there? Holy cow.

Last november the volunteer at the station straight up told us there were no rangers on the whole island, lol. Maybe we will need to be more careful as it's a holiday weekend this time around.

EDIT: This is to say I know that normal alcohol+driving rules apply out there, but what is the "open container" thing? Can't have a beer while fishing or is that open container while driving?

Cape Hatteras has blank passes. You fill in the info.

76684850-6D11-4506-B48B-8EB864173DD0.jpeg

I would be careful out there. These REO (Revenue Enforcement Officers) have a lot of tickets to write to make up for covid. I am sure their goals are off the charts and will be for sometime.

I hope you all get some good fishing in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom