Can't shift into low? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought a '94 TC without lockers and while I was familiarizing myself with the new controls I found that with the gear shift in park or neutral I can only shift the [transfer case?] in two directions. What gives?

One direction for High the other way for Low ::)
P.S. welcome to the wonderfull world of Cruisers and a :flipoff2: for good measure.

Gwood,

Are you expecting an 'H' type pattern like a manual transmission? FYI, transfer case shifters the world over merely shift from High range to Low range - that's it. The Cruiser also adds a Neutral which most don't have. Be sure to read the manual or the sunvisor sticker on how to shift the transfer case (at full stop, only).

Doug

Should have bought another jeep !! Welcome to the real world of fulltime 4WD.

Dougie,

Most parttime 4WD vehicles have H-patterns, 2H, 4H, 4L some with neutral for running the PTO.

That is the problem with the Manual-Boys. They want to shift in all directions :slap:

Mike

My bad on the youthfull post. I just got my truck back from the mechanic and after 60 miles of driving the check engine light came on. Given I bought the truck on ebay two weeks ago and it has been at the mechanics since yesterday [$1800 in repairs and maintenace], I about flipped my lid with the thought of returning it to the mechanic for god knows what and how much it would cost me. At that point I would have found a problem with pamela anderson naked in my bed. Well maybe not that mad...I cooled down a few hours later and my god, there was the other shift.

PPC,

I've owned almost a dozen part time 4WD rigs and have never seen anything but in line shifting on the TC. 2H-4H-4L Though the last one I had was a '99 Montero and it had 4Hlock (locked center diff) - all in a straight line.

I've also driven a few vintage rigs as far back as the 60s and have not seen other than inline shifting. Wierd that I've never run across one yet - what makes have them? Thanks.

Doug

Doug,

As landtank has indicated, the toyota's, military era WWII jeeps, fords and chevy's that I have driven over the years.

[quote author=Gwood link=board=2;threadid=7263;start=msg60696#msg60696 date=1068336813]
My bad on the youthfull post. I just got my truck back from the mechanic and after 60 miles of driving the check engine light came on. Given I bought the truck on ebay two weeks ago and it has been at the mechanics since yesterday [$1800 in repairs and maintenace], I about flipped my lid with the thought of returning it to the mechanic for god knows what and how much it would cost me. At that point I would have found a problem with pamela anderson naked in my bed. Well maybe not that mad...I cooled down a few hours later and my god, there was the other shift.

[/quote]

what did they do for $1800?? chrome the hood??

:whoops:

Hey what did you pay for your LC? If you don't mine me nosing... :p What repairs did it need? And where are you located?
I bought mine on Ebay about 2 months ago as well...

Bought the ghost truck for 10.9K and had it shipped up here to Baltimore for another 500. As far as repairs there was some normal wear stuff [wiper blades, brake rotors, brake pads, rewiring fog lights] and other stuff [replaced front hub and axle seals, gasket seals, front wheel bearings, steering knuckle joints] that the mechanic said needed to be replaced for it to last on the road. He also replaced the alternator and idler pulley becuase the truck sounded like a 747 taking off the runway. After getting it back from mechanic the check engine light came on after 50 miles of driving. So back it goes. The kicker is the truck engine still runs with a very loud high pitch whining sound.

I don't think my mechanic has any clue how to resolve this sound so I bought a LC repair manual to try and fix it myself. One post said he had this problem and rectified it by replacing his old belts with OEM belts. Others say they just run loud. If anyone has any other ideas I would appreciate the help.

[In case this helps..the whine is consistent when the gas pedal is depressed...the only time it goes away is when I coast down hill, but returns if I step on the brake..I could be wrong but it sounds like its coming from the right side of the truck]

Gwood,
Notched belts can be very noisy and most people switch back to OEM and their belt noise goes away. Check the belts.

How many miles are on your '94?

Sorry to hear that your mechanic had to replace the birfield joints ( "steering knuckle joints" ) on a '94 as they should last the life of the truck if they are properly maintained.

-B-

Man, guess my memory of the PT systems has faded :'( . I'll defer to you guys on it.

The engine noise does sound like the belts, which are really loud unless you get the Toyota parts. So notorious is this engine for belt noise that Toyota sells them in matched sets only.

Beo - I think he's talking about the knuckle bearings (aka kingpin bearings), which you'd agree should be replaced with each axle seal job.

Doug

Doug,

He said $1,800 in maintenance items so I assumed the mechanic replaced the birfs. You're right though, it was probably all the bearings and the seals (approx $1,200) and the brake job (rotors and pads) added up to another $600.

-B-

It is kind of amazing. Not to take away from what anyone's doing, but I personally would hit the roof if I had a bill like that. I did that exact work for $600 (birf repack, new rotors/pads) and I'll bet his price did not include repacking the rear wheel bearings as mine did (some dealers aren't even aware the rear axle on an 80 is a full floater and the bearings are NOT lubed by diff oil). A few years ago, my accountant made the comment that my automobile costs are quite low and I recall being kind of surprised since I buy expensive tires, premium gas and winter tires/rims for my company cars. But the more I think about it, with people out there paying $300 for "tuneups" that include just new plugs I'd put in for $30 I guess it makes sense.

Ah well. I get a bruised knuckle now and again and they don't, so I suppose for some that's reason enough. To each their own, right?

Doug

[quote author=Gwood link=board=2;threadid=7263;start=msg60987#msg60987 date=1068429040]
The kicker is the truck engine still runs with a very loud high pitch whining sound.

I don't think my mechanic has any clue how to resolve this sound so I bought a LC repair manual to try and fix it myself. One post said he had this problem and rectified it by replacing his old belts with OEM belts. Others say they just run loud. If anyone has any other ideas I would appreciate the help.

[In case this helps..the whine is consistent when the gas pedal is depressed...the only time it goes away is when I coast down hill, but returns if I step on the brake..I could be wrong but it sounds like its coming from the right side of the truck]

just a thought... After I ripped the rear part of the exhaust off on the trail (the cannister/resinator at the right rear of the truck) now have a loud whine under load that sounds remarkably like a turbo!!!

Do you have a stock exhaust with no leaks?
Sounds like you're describing a mechanical whining sound though, so I doubt this is it. I had a horrible sound that turned out to be the idler pully you described. My Toyota mechanic replaced the bearing in it for like $20 :D :D :D I couldn't beat that!!!!

[/quote]

Welcome Gwood

if the belts are the notched kind or don't say "mitsubishi" on them then replace them with Toyota belts (which say mitsubishi on them) I made a similar mistake to you and let a mechanic loose on my 80 before I knew enough Among other issues, his aftermarket belts cost more than Toyota belts and they screamed, which he explained as a problem with my idler pulley that he wanted to replace. I put the right belts in and no more noise.

Also, you can pull the check engine code on a 94 yourself in 3 minutes with a paper clip (search previous posts for the method). Check in back here with that code(s) before letting the guy loose on it again.

Finally, if you plan on owning this truck for long invest in a factory service manual. There is an online number to order (check previous posts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom