Can’t get thermostat back in housing without leaking. Edit: got tstat in, bit running at <180f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My guess is there’s a bunch of rtv blocking you from seating the oring.
B7E70FE3-8C1D-4929-B17D-250E61A971A4.jpeg
653D6597-A412-4B2A-BD07-AF1FA7170B7F.jpeg

Nothing but he is probably out of it for "personal" reasons ;) as a result of frustration acquired by working on his 80.
I used to keep it in a squeeze tube in my vehicles however it did seem to leak when the vehicle got hot. That is why I switched to the dielectric grease. But you are right it does work.

i was not going there to be klear ...........:D

remember this is TECH 🤔

if you want to have a product in your " TOOL ' Box , this will indeed rock your world like nothing else i have ever applied and used ....

top shelf cracker jack OEM smack .

no jokes here to be krystal klear

1657214927841.png

1657214995804.png

1657215030371.png

So it turned out the old seal was stuck in the housing so I took it out and the new tstat fit in fine. This is the second time I've missed something like this and turned a half-hour job into a half-day ordeal. Oh well, that's how it is when you're inexperienced I guess.

After starting it up, the temps got right up to 220f, so I shut it off and after letting it cool, added some more coolant (murt've bled itself a little).

Now it's running at 177.8f, when it was 190-205f before. Is this normal?

Yep.

Same sentiment for this thread...

Which Thermostat (Toyota part number) did you install?

Just took it on a longer drive and temps seem to be about the same after the new tstat fully opened. Ranging from 190-205 in this 93 degree weather. Oh well, hopefully the engines happier with the fresh coolant.

Just took it on a longer drive and temps seem to be about the same after the new tstat fully opened. Ranging from 190-205 in this 93 degree weather. Oh well, hopefully the engines happier with the fresh coolant.
With ac running?

Reasonable i think.

Yes, reasonable at 195-205F. I was driving around last week during the heat of the day (115F), A/C running full blast - obviously - and when I pulled into the garage and opened the hood, started to hear 'The Gurgle'. Most of you guys will know this as the radiator outflowing through the overflow bottle after you shut down a hot engine. It's disconcerting...

I hopped back in, started it up to get the coolant circulating again and grabbed my OBD2 reader and saw 208F, dropping to 199F within 2 minutes of idle speed just sitting in the garage. Gurgling stopped, overflow tank got sucked back in (*almost overflowing...), and I turned the engine off while watching OBD2 temps. After a few minutes with no coolant flowing, 202F,... 205F,... 208F,... settling at 208 - no gurgle.

When you shut the engine down, there's no coolant doing it's thing anymore except getting hot in the engine, expanding out to the radiator as pressure, and that pressure has to go somewhere. Out past the Radiator Cap and into the overflow bottle is the planned route. Just sitting and idling for a few minutes before shutdown on those REALLY hot days prevents 'The Gurgle', and is my new plan of action.

For the scientists; new TYC1918, WP, Hoses, Toyota T-stat, and belts within the last 4k miles. Runs great,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom