Can't get the Trans back in. Pilot bearing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

how are you supporting the tranny?

how are you supporting the tranny? I put a saw horse and some ratchet straps around it as well as supporting from below --helped me finesse it in.

x 2 on the pilot bearing--fortunately I had read a post on it and checked mine ---there is no way I would of got the tranny in

I took some emery cloth to the shaft until the new bearing slid on easily

if you are still stuck and trying to figure out a way to get that pilot bearing out without disassembling averything, try this: get out the grease gun and shove as much grease as you can into the recessed area behind the pilot bearing. Then find a punch that fits into the pilot bearing with virtually no gap (can someone help me with the diameter?) tap on the end of the punch and you will get a hydraulic effect on the grease to push out the bearing. Viola, once it is out you can test fit the whole thing and try again. hope that helps!

if you are still stuck and trying to figure out a way to get that pilot bearing out without disassembling averything, try this: get out the grease gun and shove as much grease as you can into the recessed area behind the pilot bearing. Then find a punch that fits into the pilot bearing with virtually no gap (can someone help me with the diameter?) tap on the end of the punch and you will get a hydraulic effect on the grease to push out the bearing. Viola, once it is out you can test fit the whole thing and try again. hope that helps!

"without disassembling everything"? :lol:

How could you possibly get to the pilot bearing, through the clutch disc and pressure plate and not end up getting grease on the clutch?

:smokin:

Spend the five minutes and drop the pressure plate and clutch disc.

:lol:

Here's one suggestion:

Ensure the clutch tool is a snug fit into the pilot bearing.

Measure the tip of the cluth tool with a micrometer.

Measure the tip of the tranny shaft with a micrometer.

My (uneducated) guess is that this is not the problem. It is hard to get the pilot beraing and shaft to line up. The idea on hoisting the tranny from the top (requries removal of the hump) with a winch or sawhorse hoist is a good one. It allows you to jockey the tranny around for alignment. I used a cheap ($20) boat ratchet winch from Harbor freight, bolted onto an old bumper I had. This sat on two 5 gal plastic buckets on the floor pan.

Good Luck

ratchet straps

I hung mine on a chain with a come along as a safety anchor but the two el-cheapo ratchet straps did great

The pilot bearing thing is for real like i said no way mine would slide in without some work with the emery cloth

if you're there already why not dive in and get it right---not the first time right?

if you have any noticeable dings on the shaft you could try cleaning them up first and see if she slides in easy

but I think I'd just go for a redo

Thank you for all the replies!!!!!!

Boy do I wish I thought of testing the pilot bearing before installing it! My buddy and I thought of the micrometer idea. I am going to see if I can find one cheap somewhere since the alignment tool EASILY slides in. Next I am going to try to clean up the shaft a little as it could take a little cleaning/polishing anyhow. After that I am going to spend some more time just trying to finess it in there. I am using a come-along up top strapped to a 6x6 going from the roll bar to the windshield. It gets the tranny to the approx area but definitly still alot of work trying to align it correctly from underneath (via man power). If this does not all work this weekend, Im going to pull it all out and get a new bearing (with the assumption I may slightly damage it on removal).

The truck has been sitting for over two years now because of this issue (and moving, more demanding job, baby, high maintenance house etc) but I am finally getting back into this project head first and WILL get it figured out.

Many thanks to all of you!

Here's one suggestion:

Ensure the clutch tool is a snug fit into the pilot bearing.

Measure the tip of the cluth tool with a micrometer.

Measure the tip of the tranny shaft with a micrometer.

My (uneducated) guess is that this is not the problem. It is hard to get the pilot beraing and shaft to line up. The idea on hoisting the tranny from the top (requries removal of the hump) with a winch or sawhorse hoist is a good one. It allows you to jockey the tranny around for alignment. I used a cheap ($20) boat ratchet winch from Harbor freight, bolted onto an old bumper I had. This sat on two 5 gal plastic buckets on the floor pan.

Good Luck

I hung mine on a chain with a come along as a safety anchor but the two el-cheapo ratchet straps did great

The pilot bearing thing is for real like i said no way mine would slide in without some work with the emery cloth

if you're there already why not dive in and get it right---not the first time right?

if you have any noticeable dings on the shaft you could try cleaning them up first and see if she slides in easy

but I think I'd just go for a redo
HF 3/4 ton chain hoist ($30 on sale), and a scrap 4X4 fence post over the roll cage.
Hoist.jpg

I spent a lot of time adjusting the chains to get everything right. The hoist chain is centered at the installed position so it kind of pulls the whole assembly into place.
Trial_run.jpg

WOOHOO! I got it in today! I re-checked everything was alighned, had my wife step on the clutch pedal and it sliped right in! I must have been within .3 mm the thirty or so times I have tried in the past.

I am just happy it is in and I can move on and get it back on the road!!:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Glad to hear it! It can be tricky.
Way to go!
:beer:

WOOHOO! I got it in today! I re-checked everything was alighned, had my wife step on the clutch pedal and it sliped right in! I must have been within .3 mm the thirty or so times I have tried in the past.

I am just happy it is in and I can move on and get it back on the road!!:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

the 'step on the clutch' trick is what finally worked for me too. Mine was done at a trans shop that a friend owns and he and his mechanic decided when we were done that landcruisers were to be added to the 'do not F with' list!!!

Good luck with the rest of the reinstallation. I took advantage of having stuff disassembled and did some preventative maintenance... POR-15.
March '09 001.jpg
March '09 025.jpg

Hmmmm. Got the two top bolts in just fine. Bottom two just dont want to go in there. Start fine but about half way throught the bellhousing they feel like they are binding up. All four bolts are the same and I made sure the threads were clean. Loosening the top two a little and moving the trans around doesnt seem to help at all. Think maybe the bellhouseing threads are dirty or something?

Try chasing the holes with a 12mm x 1 tap. Somebody might have tried a 1/2 inch SAE fine thread bolt in the holes. A 1/2 inch SAE bolt will thread into a stripped 12 mm hole and tighten up solid as an easy fix for stripped holes.

Those plastic alignment tools are POS. They only get them close so you need to step on the clutch to get it in. The other trick is to make sure that the face of the tranny is parallel to the face of the bellhousing as you try to wiggle it in.
I should have mentioned that earlier.

Just had the same problem with my tranny. Got as far as the last inch and wouldn't go any further. The clutch trick worked just fine.

My four bolts went in just fine, but they are a fine thread and I can see any little bit of dirt on the thread would cause them to jamb.

Thanks for the tips guys.

bolts

if you are just a little off they dont want to go in, try getting the top ones as loose as you can and check the alignment of the holes

you could run a long starter bolt through the opposite side from the front and that may help with alignment

if that doesnt work try putting in one top then the opposite bottom first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom