Can't decide between 2014/2015 era LX 570 and GX 460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GX is much easier to park and drive in city.

If you don’t tow, then LX tow capacity goes out the windows.

LX is heavier duty for sure. But it is not like GX is made of spaghetti. GX is made in Japan in Toyota best factory I think. It is not a Ford Or Chevy.

But the big question…do you do your own maintenance? Are you good at doing your own stuff on your cars?

Because if you are handy, then LX is fine.

If you are not, then get the GX. AHC in LX can be a maintenance nightmare even for dealerships, which most of them refuse to touch until it breaks and then they charge you $20-35,000 to replace!! (True stories)

LX is in an entirely different category of ruggedness and durability.
Comparing the two is like comparing a 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 ton.
All the components of the LX are much heavy and beefier.
The GX is relieable but can’t touch the LX in pure HD ruggedness. It’s hidden under the skin but it’s there.

View attachment 3574033
While that pic is impressive, the GX is also over 1000 lbs lighter than LX! So….

Rather, I'd like to hear from folks who have owned both at one time or another and can compare and contrast them. I know preferences are subjective but maybe someone can mention a pro or a con that I hadn't considered to help me decide. Thanks!
I'm not a 200 owner but I do have a 100 series and my wife has a 2017 GX460. While the GX is a great vehicle, I'd personally never want one as my daily driver. How you intend to use it should be a big part but also which one do YOU prefer to drive. As far as physical size goes, my 100 is pretty similar to my wife's GX but the GX feels much more cramped. Maybe due to visibility, I'm not sure. Much more cargo space in the LC100 as well. Then comes the barn door vs tail gate argument. I absolutely love the tail gate while I have a hard time tolerating the barn door. That being said, my wife loves the GX and if she had to replace it, would most likely just go get a newer one. Myself, when the 100 is done, I'll just go get the newest LC/LX I can justify paying for at the time. I tend to go for 10 year old, 100k mile vehicles so that helps offset any extra gas I'm buying versus buying something new and "economical".

While that pic is impressive, the GX is also over 1000 lbs lighter than LX! So….
Are you saying the beefier components are why the Land Cruiser is heavier or that the Prado doesn’t need beefy components because it’s lighter?

Last edited:
Land

Are you saying the beefier components are why the Land Cruiser is heavier or that the Prado doesn’t need beefy components because it’s lighter?
LC is a bigger car with bigger frame, bigger engine, etc. So, the components supporting that heavier weight needs to be stronger.

The same if you look at a Toyota Camry steering parts is probably bigger/stronger than the same parts on a Corolla. But that does not mean that Corolla is a weak POS.

In other words, everything is relative.

LC is a bigger car with bigger frame, bigger engine, etc. So, the components supporting that heavier weight needs to be stronger.

The same if you look at a Toyota Camry steering parts is probably bigger/stronger than the same parts on a Corolla. But that does not mean that Corolla is a weak POS.

In other words, everything is relative.
Right I got you, but the LC is heavier mainly due to it being built with heavier more rugged components and frame. These components are there to make LC far more durable than Prado, not to just deal with the extra weight they themselves created.
I’m not saying that Prado is a POS or unreliable. I’m just saying it’s nowhere near as durable as LC.

GX is much easier to park and drive in city.

If you don’t tow, then LX tow capacity goes out the windows.

LX is heavier duty for sure. But it is not like GX is made of spaghetti. GX is made in Japan in Toyota best factory I think. It is not a Ford Or Chevy.

But the big question…do you do your own maintenance? Are you good at doing your own stuff on your cars?

Because if you are handy, then LX is fine.

If you are not, then get the GX. AHC in LX can be a maintenance nightmare even for dealerships, which most of them refuse to touch until it breaks and then they charge you $20-35,000 to replace!! (True stories)

As others have already said though, the 4.6L is just not that nice to drive in comparison. I also do not find it true that the LX is harder to park. It turns just as tight so it can swing in to pretty much any spot just as easily. Its a few inches wider, that's about it. Its not like you are turning a 145" wheelbase F150 into a spot with a 48' turning circle.

I dont think weight difference is 1000 lbs either. I think its more like 800. But I will cat scale mine at some point.

I wont argue on AHC though. Although KDSS can also be a pain and I know people with GX's had troubles getting dealers to work on them.

Whoa, I almost got pulled into another AHC sux discussion in a thread about GX vs LX.

TLDR -> AHC doesn't sux. Opinion provided by 5 year plus AHC owner.

I still think this isn't a fair comparison, even Toyota thinks the LX is better than the GX, that's why the retail price is more for the LX.

As others have already said though, the 4.6L is just not that nice to drive in comparison. I also do not find it true that the LX is harder to park. It turns just as tight so it can swing in to pretty much any spot just as easily. Its a few inches wider, that's about it. Its not like you are turning a 145" wheelbase F150 into a spot with a 48' turning circle.

I dont think weight difference is 1000 lbs either. I think its more like 800. But I will cat scale mine at some point.

I wont argue on AHC though. Although KDSS can also be a pain and I know people with GX's had troubles getting dealers to work on them.
Oh no…GX is very slender! It is about as easy to park as a Corolla! I can park my GX blindfolded! My LC…harder…and my F150…harder than LC.

LX570 has weight of about 6100-6200 lbs? GX is about 5200.

GX main issue is with the rear airbag and electronic shocks. KDSS is trouble free unless you lift.

Oh no…GX is very slender! It is about as easy to park as a Corolla! I can park my GX blindfolded! My LC…harder…and my F150…harder than LC.

LX570 has weight of about 6100-6200 lbs? GX is about 5200.

GX main issue is with the rear airbag and electronic shocks. KDSS is trouble free unless you lift.
I guess. I owned a GX for four years and haven’t really found a difference. I also owned a super crew 6 1/2 foot bed F150 for nine years and so I guess maybe the difference between a GX and an LX is pretty meaningless to me. it’s in the “white noise” 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom