Can't decide between 2014/2015 era LX 570 and GX 460 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hope I can post this here and cross-post in the 460 forums...

Dammit, I am so torn between a 2014 LX 570 and a 2015 GX 460. I have driven both and also driven other LC/LX and 460s so I am aware of the essential differences between the two vehicles.

Not trying to ask if this or that is a good deal, so I'm putting aside price, miles, maintenance records, PPI results, etc. all of which I am taking into account.

Rather, I'd like to hear from folks who have owned both at one time or another and can compare and contrast them. I know preferences are subjective but maybe someone can mention a pro or a con that I hadn't considered to help me decide. Thanks!

LX is in an entirely different category of ruggedness and durability.
Comparing the two is like comparing a 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 ton.
All the components of the LX are much heavy and beefier.
The GX is relieable but can’t touch the LX in pure HD ruggedness. It’s hidden under the skin but it’s there.

IMG_0440.jpeg

you comparing 2 different cars no questions that LX is way superior on all the levels.
one example to be quick: 5.7 (380HP) motor vs 4.6 (300HP) you can say ya not a big deal , but no it is a big deal .
5.7 (380HP) that goes to LX and LC is not the same motor that goes to Sequoia or Tundra even the spec is the same.
so LX is a prime grass fed grass finish meet top of the line.

LX is in an entirely different category of ruggedness and durability.
Comparing the two is like comparing a 1/2 ton truck to a 3/4 ton.
All the components of the LX are much heavy and beefier.
The GX is relieable but can’t touch the LX in pure HD ruggedness. It’s hidden under the skin but it’s there.

View attachment 3574033
I love it one pictures that tells all !

I just sold my 2011 GX460 and bought a 2018 LX570 about a month ago. Pretty much everything about the LX is better. The only “negative” being that it’s a little wider.

If you tow at all then LX is hands down the better option.

I hope I can post this here and cross-post in the 460 forums...

Dammit, I am so torn between a 2014 LX 570 and a 2015 GX 460. I have driven both and also driven other LC/LX and 460s so I am aware of the essential differences between the two vehicles.

Not trying to ask if this or that is a good deal, so I'm putting aside price, miles, maintenance records, PPI results, etc. all of which I am taking into account.

Rather, I'd like to hear from folks who have owned both at one time or another and can compare and contrast them. I know preferences are subjective but maybe someone can mention a pro or a con that I hadn't considered to help me decide. Thanks!

What's your primary use cases for the vehicle? Any discriminating use cases like city driving, towing, etc?

In a nutshell, they are both great rigs with a lot of overlap in utility and use. One is incrementally smaller and lighter. Or it can be interpreted the other is incrementally larger and heavier duty.

Reliability is probably not the discriminator. Ask yourself if you can you use the extra room, payload, capacity, power, durability, robustness? Or is your use cases such that the extra is just extra to carry around. Some people like to have big sticks and use them for big things. Some like the carry big sticks just to say they have the baddest one. Some people look at big sticks as a burden where a normal stick is more optimal and efficient.

1709602657861.png

In terms of use case, this vehicle will be my daily driver - mostly city driving but I also have to do a decent amount of highway driving both for work and to the beach about 2 hours away. I’m in my mid 50’s and my wife and I are almost empty nesters. We are beach people, and so I used to tow a lot (boat) but we sold the boat so maybe not much at least for now. I am coming from a Yukon Denali and like having space in a vehicle but it’s not like I’m carrying a bunch of kids around town anymore either. Budget wise, it seems to be coming down to a GX with less miles or an LX with more miles, if that makes sense.

Lx tailgate vs gx barn door
Both get atrocious mileage
Miles are mostly irrelevant on the Lx, not sure about gx
Lx 3rd row seats can come out, gx third row folds up(not flat).

It’s a 200 forum, speaking for myself, I’m confused by the question. It’s like asking if a Camry is comparable to a ls430. They’re about the same size and made by the same company, both seat 5. But they aren’t the same at all.

Buy the one you like, you have to live with it.

We cross-shopped the GX and LC200 back in 2021 and ended up with the 200 because it is more spacious, and felt more relaxing to drive. This was in the wide-open spaces of Northern NV. We have since relocated to Australia, however the 200 is parked with family in Durham NC. Driving the 200 in the Triangle area, it does sometimes feel too big and out of place. In Australia we ended up with a Prado (essentially the same as a GX) because it is smaller and for us felt more suited to city driving. The extra width of the 200 is most noticeable when parallel parking or in parking lots/garages with narrow spaces.

If you're coming from a Yukon, and are comfortable with that size, the LX will be more similar. If you are wanting to downsize specifically, the GX will be (somewhat) more compact. Counterintuitively, the 200 actually has a tighter turning circle IIRC than the GX. They're both going to be very reliable, and unless you're beating the vehicle offroad, the "over-builtness" of the 200 is of no usable benefit.

The thing with the LX is that its turning radius is actually slightly better than the GX. So while its 2" wider or so, it still maneuvers really well. For 2015, the published wall to wall turning circle for the GX was 41.4' while the LX was 38.7'.

If you were driving a a Yukon then I think the LX would be just fine. Its shorter, its narrower, and it turns a bit tighter.

As others have said, I dont think there will be an appreciable difference in MPG's. The 4.6L was not great in the GX and, TBH, it felt underpowered to me in a 5200 lbs truck. My other vehicle while I had my GX was a 2014 F150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost that has a ton of low end torque. That truck was ~6500 lbs and absolutely smoked the GX power wise even hauling around an extra 1200 lbs and 35" tires. The 5.7L seems to have a lot more grunt down low and feels closer(although not the same) as my F150. Since your Yukon Denali probably has the 6.2L, I think you will be a bit irritated at the power of the GX, but even the LX will probably feel a bit weaker.

The other thing I couldnt stand about the GX was the throttle and transmission tuning. They were terrible. You had to flog the thing to get it to downshift and move anywhere. It had some power and torque but actually finding it was the problem. At first I ran a pedalcommander and then later went got a YotaWerks tune, and those only made it acceptable, it still was not great. The LX(at least my 2018), right out of the box, drives very well. The shifts happen when they should and never feels like you have to battle with it.

Last edited:
Other consideration, when did the exhaust manifolds stop cracking on the gx’s?

2010 when it became the GX460 and started using the 1UR-FE.

That said, valley cover plate leaks, secondary air injection system failures and some of the other issues associated with the 3UR-FE are also a problem with the GX460/1UR-FE.

If I didn’t tow a >7k camper I’d likely own a GX instead of my LX. They feel “sportier” and more agile and the cost difference is massive.

I always put it into a cost perspective. A LX is a GX+ a new enduro MTB+a 2nd 3 gun set up+a new fly rod and waders.

I had a GX loaner for 3-4 months 6-7 years ago when the dealer messed up a service…. I really liked it. And let’s be honest. Some components are smaller because the age is smaller, less power, and weighs less.

If I didn’t off road I wouldn’t own either.

If I didn’t tow a >7k camper I’d likely own a GX instead of my LX. They feel “sportier” and more agile and the cost difference is massive.

I always put it into a cost perspective. A LX is a GX+ a new enduro MTB+a 2nd 3 gun set up+a new fly rod and waders.

I had a GX loaner for 3-4 months 6-7 years ago when the dealer messed up a service…. I really liked it. And let’s be honest. Some components are smaller because the age is smaller, less power, and weighs less.

If I didn’t off road I wouldn’t own either.

Exactly. I'd still be driving my F150. It was better in almost every way for everything besides fitting down tight trails and break over angle.

The LX/LC 200 series is the only platform I can find that can both tow well and offroad well. Everything else is a compromise one way or the other.

The GX towed ok but it did not have the grunt to do what I wanted. My F150 towed well but was too big on the trails. If I just needed to tow I'd have my truck. If I just needed to offroad, I'd probably buy a JLUR. If I didnt need to do either I would probably but a second Chevy Bolt and a harbor freight trailer for dump runs.:rofl:

Last edited:
I would have always thought the GX was a better fit for me, as I don't really need the extra space and GX is more "right sized" for me. I bought the LX because I had a camper to tow, but I have since sold the camper. A couple years ago I spent a long weekend in the mountains with a loaner GX (which was much newer and nicer than my LX) and came to the conclusion the LX is still the right car for me, and I'll just deal with hauling around the extra girth and weight. Though the motors are related, the GX felt downright anemic in comparison. The low end torque of the 5.7 really makes a big difference in how the two vehicles drive (i.e. just gas and go, vs. wringing up high revs to keep up speed). The GX really drives more like a 6cyl 4runner. Also, despite being "lighter duty" the GX is NOT light. In fact, the previous gen GX470 actually has a better power to weight ratio despite being significantly down on power because the current gen GX is so much heavier.

With your use case, I'd probably get a subaru or something :eek:

I would have always thought the GX was a better fit for me, as I don't really need the extra space and GX is more "right sized" for me. I bought the LX because I had a camper to tow, but I have since sold the camper. A couple years ago I spent a long weekend in the mountains with a loaner GX (which was much newer and nicer than my LX) and came to the conclusion the LX is still the right car for me, and I'll just deal with hauling around the extra girth and weight. Though the motors are related, the GX felt downright anemic in comparison. The low end torque of the 5.7 really makes a big difference in how the two vehicles drive (i.e. just gas and go, vs. wringing up high revs to keep up speed). The GX really drives more like a 6cyl 4runner. Also, despite being "lighter duty" the GX is NOT light. In fact, the previous gen GX470 actually has a better power to weight ratio despite being significantly down on power because the current gen GX is so much heavier.

With your use case, I'd probably get a subaru or something :eek:
Its a very large difference. Where my GX would have to drop to 4th to climb hills and spin 3000+ rpm(im in UT at elevation and lots of longer steep grades), the LX just chugs up the hills at 2000 rpm. I really was not expecting that going into it knowing the LX was 800 lbs heavier, but the difference is extremely noticeable.

I honestly found it annoying to drive my GX. I dont know if it was because it was a 2011 or what, but it just always felt like it took effort to drive. You couldnt just get in and hit the gas and go. Coming from an F150 Ecoboost that rarely ever needed to downshift, even with 35's, it made the GX tough to enjoy.

But I also agree that an LX or a GX is not the best vehicle if you dont intend to tow AND offroad. Especially the GX. Its a jack of all trades and master of none. The GX doesn't do anything super well. The LX is similar in that sense, but its better(significantly better in some ways) at all of those trades imho.

I had a 2014 GX460 that I sold and moved into a 2011 LX 570. Here are my thoughts: LX feels better in all driving dynamics. More power, more brakes, more stability. Gas mileage was nearly identical on the highway (17). GX felt a bit nimbler all around but also less insulated. Interior on the LX was head an shoulders above the GX. Every button and switch felt more solid, the leather was more supple and everything felt fancier. The seats cushion more in the LX.

I wouldn't buy another GX but I would buy another LX. I don't have any LC experience to speak of.

I had a 2014 GX460 that I sold and moved into a 2011 LX 570. Here are my thoughts: LX feels better in all driving dynamics. More power, more brakes, more stability. Gas mileage was nearly identical on the highway (17). GX felt a bit nimbler all around but also less insulated. Interior on the LX was head an shoulders above the GX. Every button and switch felt more solid, the leather was more supple and everything felt fancier. The seats cushion more in the LX.

I wouldn't buy another GX but I would buy another LX. I don't have any LC experience to speak of.

The Wife loves her GX, but it sure stays parked a lot....

5.7 > 4.6. Owned both.

GX is a great rig you can’t go wrong. It will cost less to own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom