Can someone with BP51 Confirm my theory? Squeak gone, now thump. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2021 200 with BP51 Suspension on it. Soon after install I had a pretty annoying squeak coming from the back. I read BP51s were shipped with a bad set of washers. I contacted ARB and they sent me new washers no charge. I put them on and the squeak is gone. Shouldn't have been there in the first place but I was stoked they fixed it for me. Now it seems like there is a faint thud coming from the back. The two middle washers they sent me have collars on them. My theory is the collars might be a little too tall so when they are sandwiched there is a void between them (see diagram below). The void allows the shock to move up and down in the mounting hole due to washer collars. I have the nut on the top of the shock cranked down tight. No noise on asphalt, but faint thus on bumps when I hit the bumps and dirt. Anyone else come across this, or is my theory way off? I took a look tonight really quick. I can feel a little void behind washer B, but I can't move the shock. Just wondered if anyone had this issue before I spend the time to take it all apart again.

BP51.jpg

ARB tried but didn't quite deliver. Stock setup has one washer with the lip and one without, as seen in this picture. Two would make the space too large, and do exactly what you are describing.

Ignore the king shock on the top. Bottom is OEM.

IMG_2505.JPG

ARB tried but didn't quite deliver. Stock setup has one washer with the lip and one without, as seen in this picture. Two would make the space too large, and do exactly what you are describing.

Ignore the king shock on the top. Bottom is OEM.

View attachment 2906630
Cool, I knew something was up. I’ll have to pull the stock suspension out of the boxes in the shed. Thanks!

Cool, I knew something was up. I’ll have to pull the stock suspension out of the boxes in the shed. Thanks!
Any time. The good news is you don't even need to pull the shocks.. just remove the top nut and bushing/washer then install the correct stuff.

@bloc is correct. I had same issue but I didn’t try getting new washers from ARB. I just swapped back to my OEM washers. Problem gone.

Any time. The good news is you don't even need to pull the shocks.. just remove the top nut and bushing/washer then install the correct stuff.
ok cool, so you just left the collared washer on the bottom side? did you use OEM bushing and washer on top? or just the oem washer? I guess that probably doesnt matter unless the OME bushing is a different shape than the OEM. Hoping to get this done tonight.

ok cool, so you just left the collared washer on the bottom side? did you use OEM bushing and washer on top? or just the oem washer? I guess that probably doesnt matter unless the OME bushing is a different shape than the OEM. Hoping to get this done tonight.
The one thing that might jam you up is if the OME upper pin is a different diameter than factory. This was the issue using the OEM hardware on my king shock.

But yes I'd just remove the upper nut, washer, bushing, and collared washer, then compare diameters. If the OE flat(ish) washer will fit tightly over the pin, install that stuff, and you should be done.

I only remembered your issue because it has been posted previously in this section. Not sure how you'd go about digging for it.. but it has been done. I can't remember whether they used OEM flat washer or not..

Oh man. great timing for this thread.

I have a BP51 setup w/5000 miles and it's driving me crazy. Squeaks like hell from the rear and also has some odd rubbing/movement noise when turning at 5-10mph and when coming to a stop. The rubbing noise comes from 3 of the 4 corners. I haven't had an opportunity to dig into it yet with the freezing temps but it sounds similar.

I removed the upper collared washer last night. Seems to be much better. I'm waiting for that squeak to come back - hoping it won't.

Interestingly in my box of factory parts the Toyota dealer removed to install my lift were unused OME bushings and washers just like the ones that came with the lift. I also have the set Toyota Dealer installed with the BP51 Kit, and the new set ARB sent me to fix the squeak (all three sets have two collared washers per side). The bushings are all labeled OME, all the washers look identical. So now I'm not certain if Toyota factory installed two collared washers or just one. Although @bloc posted the pic above of what came factory on his, so lets hope we all had the same.

Maybe the Toyota dealer than installed my lift lost the factory washers and bushings, but had some OME kicking around so they put those in my box - that would explain why those in my factory parts box were brand new never used washers and bushings labelled OME. I can't imagine Toyota is installing OME at the factory.

Adjusted my auto headlight linkage while I was under there so we'll see if i get flashed with less frequency now.

@varun bhargava, contact ARB USA about your squeaking issue. They sent me new washers and bushings at no charge - just don't use the second collared washer or you'll have a new problem.

Last edited:
@bloc, thanks for replying to this thread and confirming my thoughts. It was a faint noise, but I am easily annoyed. The 200 rides so quiet and tight now, love it!
Glad you got it sorted!

I have had the front squeak since installation (2-years!), and a rear clunk. I finally emailed tech at ARB a couple weeks back and received replacement washers today.

Since Mudrak installed it, and I have an upcoming appt there, I'll wait for Gary to check it out.

I have had the front squeak since installation (2-years!), and a rear clunk. I finally emailed tech at ARB a couple weeks back and received replacement washers today.

Since Mudrak installed it, and I have an upcoming appt there, I'll wait for Gary to check it out.

So ARB sent me the replacement washers but all had collars on them. Maybe they have since realized the error, if not I'd make sure Mudrak only installs the lower collared washer and a regular washer above. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom