Can my stock spare tire carrier hold a 33? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just made the move from little old stock tires on my '70 FJ40 to 33" Kenda Klevers, and as soon as I put one on the spare carrier I questioned my sanity. First off, thanks to @zerotreedelta for the spacer- the tire is in the right place on both axes. It's just so damn heavy and there's a ton of play in the carrier (spacer is solid).

My question is: if the stock carrier is tightened up and the slop is removed, do you think it would be strong enough to hold this big tire (w/spacer adding leverage)? Or is it a doomed mission from the start?

Big tire:
View attachment 3371063

Here's the spacer in place:
View attachment 3371067

One point of weakness- this rubber grommet isn't touching. Will this add much stability if replaced?
View attachment 3371065

Both hinges have play in them. Can they be refurbed/new gaskets?

View attachment 3371064

I know it's hard to say, but that's a lot of work to put into the stock carrier (also needs a new stud to the spacer) and if it's a fool's errand to begin please tell me.

Once you rebuild the hinges remove that wheel spacer and figure another way to have the tire up against the plate. That's how that left the factory. Toyota never had a gap on the back. Tire tight against the carrier helps prevent movement.That cushion at the top was still available a few years ago and probably still is. Believe actually being sold as a hood bumper on a later Toyota. I know I bought a few. I would use double stick tape and put a strip of steel on the barn door where the bumper rests at the top. This spreads the pressure across a larger area and allows adjusting the bumper tighter. Before doing all that you want the pad at the bottom to be up against the bottom of the barn door. If you need to add spacer between the latch and the plate to tighten it. May need to replace the latch if the loop is worn where it contacts the catch. Besides the pad on the bottom the tube style latch has a much wider surface on the catch to reduce wear.

I just made the move from little old stock tires on my '70 FJ40 to 33" Kenda Klevers, and as soon as I put one on the spare carrier I questioned my sanity. First off, thanks to @zerotreedelta for the spacer- the tire is in the right place on both axes. It's just so damn heavy and there's a ton of play in the carrier (spacer is solid).

My question is: if the stock carrier is tightened up and the slop is removed, do you think it would be strong enough to hold this big tire (w/spacer adding leverage)? Or is it a doomed mission from the start?

Big tire:
View attachment 3371063

Here's the spacer in place:
View attachment 3371067

One point of weakness- this rubber grommet isn't touching. Will this add much stability if replaced?
View attachment 3371065

Both hinges have play in them. Can they be refurbed/new gaskets?

View attachment 3371064

I know it's hard to say, but that's a lot of work to put into the stock carrier (also needs a new stud to the spacer) and if it's a fool's errand to begin please tell me.
I'm here in Grand Junction, and preparing to buy a new set of Kendas too. Looks like you went with the MTs instead of the RTs. So interested in what you do with the spare, AND what you think of the MTs. Thanks!

I'm here in Grand Junction, and preparing to buy a new set of Kendas too. Looks like you went with the MTs instead of the RTs. So interested in what you do with the spare, AND what you think of the MTs. Thanks!
Honestly, I didn't specify which Klevers to my mechanic- I ordered them over the phone and this is what he got! I love the looks of these on the 40, pleasant surprise to get the MT's. I think the 33x9.50 is killer. I never really liked the looks of the RT sidewalls- too busy for my tastes. As for performance, they're such an upgrade over the dryrotted KO2's. I haven't done much driving yet, no wheeling, but my unscientific take is they're great. A few more pics:

IMG_3255.jpg
IMG_3258.jpg
IMG_3245.jpg
IMG_3247.jpg

Honestly, I didn't specify which Klevers to my mechanic- I ordered them over the phone and this is what he got! I love the looks of these on the 40, pleasant surprise to get the MT's. I think the 33x9.50 is killer. I never really liked the looks of the RT sidewalls- too busy for my tastes. As for performance, they're such an upgrade over the dryrotted KO2's. I haven't done much driving yet, no wheeling, but my unscientific take is they're great. A few more pics:

View attachment 3372633View attachment 3372634View attachment 3372635View attachment 3372636
I dig them! Not a fan of the RT sidewall either, but figure I could live with it. Maybe I don't need to. My 75 actually lived its life in CB until January. It had been at a family vacation home there since 1980. You might have seen it around.

I dig them! Not a fan of the RT sidewall either, but figure I could live with it. Maybe I don't need to. My 75 actually lived its life in CB until January. It had been at a family vacation home there since 1980. You might have seen it around.
was it the white one with the snowplow?

Anybody know if they're different on earlier 40's? @Cruiser Corps doesn't stock anything for earlier. I might just buy some and see, but it's a $50 dice roll.
They are different!!

For my 1974 I bought from a small vendor of this forum some brass bushings made for the <1976 carrier.
Fixed the play in my hinges and my carrier stopped making noise since then, great quality.

Edit: the seller but not sure if still have them Brass Bushings tire carrier - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/brass-bushings-tire-carrier.808508/#post-9230583

Last edited:
They are different!!

For my 1974 I bought from a small vendor of this forum some brass bushings made for the <1976 carrier.
Fixed the play in my hinges and my carrier stopped making noise since then, great quality.

Edit: the seller but not sure if still have them Brass Bushings tire carrier - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/brass-bushings-tire-carrier.808508/#post-9230583
Wow what a find! Reading through the thread (post #43) it seems vague if this is the fix for an 11/69 like mine. Do you know if these would work?

That cushion at the top was still available a few years ago and probably still is. Believe actually being sold as a hood bumper on a later Toyota. I know I bought a few.

Here is a part number for the hood cushion I purchased 53382-90K01. Bought them from Partsouq.

I searched Amayama and they shows all the pads which were sold by themselves as NLA. But they show this part number as a sub. It is the pad and the bolt. I bought at least three which I am in able to locate right now but they will work as a replacement for a NLA part. This is a bumper used to keep tension on the hood so it doesn't rattle when closed. Think showed as 70 series part. Believe I seen this posted on mud and not trying to take credit for finding it.

Here’s my new Kenda Klever 33x9.50-15 on the bathroom scale, looks like close to 73#, to illustrate what the spare tire carrier is dealing with.

IMG_5720.jpeg

IMG_5719.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom