Can I save this 40 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You could always get the title in your name and start the endeavor. Then, if you get it for next to nothing, you already have something that has potentially a few thousand dollars in value. Next, you may find it worth your time as a hobby to learn new things (my first car was a nearly rusted out 1968 Mustang that I brought back to life as a high school kid - and I learned a ton). You may also end up loving to tinker with it a spend some money slowly, over time, to restore or as a labor of love. This doesn't have to be a short game of building the next show truck or off road beast. Or, you may start the process; learn some new skills, and realize it's not a journey you can continue. At that point you can easily find someone else who loves the project more and sell it to them. It's about the journey sometimes, and not the destination.

I'm definitely not too worried about the looks of it, at least for now. My goal would just be to get it running so I could drive it around town when the weather is nice, and then as time goes on maybe spend more time making it look nice. I guess my biggest concern is that it seems like there's so much to do I just don't even know where I would start
Getting it running and safety is where to start IMHO. Then drive for a while while you make a list of your goals for it.

Passion, if you have that for these unique vehicles then you have what it takes. They are ALL work. Welcome to the madness/sickness👍

I would start out by seeing how far gone that body is. Sandblasting/truth serum shows all, but mechanicals first👍

If you could get the signed off title first :
You'll learn to like or hate rust repair, welding and body work.
You'll buy more tools than you expect.
You'll spend more time & money.
Your wife or girlfriend may leave.
Get a tetanus shot.
You may finish.
Weigh the positives against that.

Weigh the positives, against the positives? 😆

The other dimension is what sort of access you have for a shop/tools. If you can do the welding, that makes for a much different project than farming all that out...etc.

I'd be pretty tempted to:
* make sure the engine is free, and get it running as it sits...would give some idea on clutch/trans as well
* then...pluck the body off just to make it easier to sort out the rest of the mechanical side - it's not that hard to pull the body, and it sure beats rolling around on the ground fighting rusty brake lines, shocks, etc. Getting the frame blasted is fairly cheap too (~$400 or so) which would make a really nice foundation going forward.

Basically sort out the drivetrain/chassis, and dunk the body back on and have fun driving it...then sort out the bodywork after. Pulling it off would give you a good idea on what's hiding as well.

Offer a fair amount of money to the owner. Get a clear title. I purchased two 40s in college for cheap. Parted one that was swiss cheese and had mud in the oil pan. The other 40 was in similar shape as the one your looking at. Should have kept it.
The 40 becomes your toy rig...unlimited possibilities for the future and it already has a tow bar to get to trails and travel with you in the future. Your 80 becomes a reliable daily driver/tow rig.
Not sure what your plans are with your 80. It was not the best idea to spring over my FJ62 and commute hours away from college...always put a smile on my face taking corners with no sway bars, though

Take the plunge. Misery loves company. And we all love 40’s.

I’d go for it if the motor isn’t seized. I’d be surprised if you haven’t already been pm’d about talking to the owner if you don’t do anything with it. Make no mistake there are guys in this forum that would like to have that rig.

Buy the '40. Clear out space in the garage. Push your sleeves up, and get to work.

The phrase, "It's the journey, not the destination." applies here.

Enjoy!

@onemanarmy speaks truth. Second in line if he passes (on the deal). Haha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom