Can an 80 save me from a minivan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

I am the owner of 2 Bj60s, and as we are going to have our third child in a few months we need a vehicle with 3 rows of seats. I dread selling my 60's as they are just such a reliable, capable vehicle.... My wife is leaning towards a minivan as she will be driving whatever vehicle we purchase. With two kids in car seats until they are 8 years old (ontario law) we need a vehicle that can haul all 3 comfortably.

So can I get a way with 3 kids in an 80? Do all 80s have the third row seats? I have never even been in an 80 before so I am new these beasts... seems like quite a luxurious vehicle compared to the 60 with 400K on it I drive now....

I have located a very nice 97 80 with only 77Km on it for $9500CDN, it seems like a good price to me... Not sure if it has lockers etc.... I would love to get another diesel but I don't think we can swing for a JDM model......What is the fuel mileage estimate on the highway for a gas 80? I will have a little car to drive to work, the 80 would be for my wife with short trips to town and the odd long trip up north to the bush........

Thanks and I have read the FAQ by the way, glad to hear the 80s are as solid a vehicle as the 60s.............

Input?

Thanks
Eric

So are they all automatics? I would prefer a stick.... and do they all have 3rd row seats?

Thanks
Eric

Not all 80's have 3rd row but most do. In the states that would be a very fair price ($8800 USD) for a 97 with 47k miles.

As a former mini-van driver, I must confess that for seating, carrying capacity, comfort, and gas mileage, it's hard to beat a mini-van. They're fugly, and carry the "soccer mom" stigma, but there you have it.

Maybe look at a Sienna? You'll spend less than on a LC.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear...:eek:

I have 3 kids and just sold our mini van to buy a 97 LC. Little cramped on space at times, but the mountain top views with the family beat the minivan any time.

I would say it depends on what you wife wants to drive.
Minivans are much easier to load kids into.
If the kids are old enough to load themselve then 1 point towards an 80.
Also how many miles is she driving daily?
Being in Canada I would certainly be looking at diesel 80's and would not even consider a gasser. But your probably screwed and will get a mini

As a former mini-van driver, I must confess that for seating, carrying capacity, comfort, and gas mileage, it's hard to beat a mini-van. They're fugly, and carry the "soccer mom" stigma, but there you have it.

Maybe look at a Sienna? You'll spend less than on a LC.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear...:eek:

x2. Unless you have to sell both your 60s, I'd seriously consider a minivan for the wife. Just look at the pros/cons of a minivan:

Pros:
- Easier entry/exit for wife and kids and carseats
- Safer (if good crash test rating + vehicle stability control)
- Better emergency handling
- Lower center of gravity (less likely to rollover)
- More space
- Better fuel economy
- AWD available
- Rear A/C available

Cons:
- Not cool
- Not offroad worthy

I'd actually say no. You'll be disappointed in what 3 car seats looks like in the rear seat and the third row is a PITA to get into flipping the 2nd row forward. And then there is the mileage. Expect 12-14mpg and be happy if you get more than that.

We will have a newborn, a 1.5 year old and an 8 year old. So loading two of the three could be an issue. But the truck has those ugly factory running boards so that should help.... The 8 year old could go in the back I suppose and the babies in the middle seat... Having not seen one inside I am only guessing this would work... Is there lots of access to the rear seat? anbody have a pic handy of the middle and rear seats?

My wife takes care of the kids and really doesn' t have to drive far except maybe groceries etc...

What is the avg. mpg of an 80 automatic?

wish i could afford a diesel JDM, as far as I know no CDM models were factory diesels, unlike the wonderful 60s.....I would have to spend twice as much as a gasser to get a JDM..

I have a BJ60 and a JDM diesel 80 , there is significantly less MPG from the 80 than the 60 (and thats the DIESEL 80). Great truck but definitely not near as frugal as the 60. In my 80 there is no third row and from what I've seen it wasn't near as common in the JDM as in the US market. Toyota Canada did not sell the LC80 , instead only sold the Lexus 450 in it's place (same vehicle). From what I understand the only LC80's in Canada were brought in from the states.There were no diesel LC80's sold in Canada , the sixties were the last of the breed. Not having a third row, I can only imagine the procedure of getting them into the back, probably not what you would call handy. I think they would (should) be called "in a pinch" seats. Hope this helps, Tony

Get the minivan and don't sweat it. We've had 3, and for a family hauler, nothing comes close. The minivan is 50% larger inside than an 80, will easily get double the fuel mileage. We've had 2 Siennas, and they are at least as reliable as a Cruiser. I really can't think of a bad thing to say about these vehicles.

Maybe the real question should be is; what does your wife want? From experience, let me tell you that loading 3 small kids in an 80 is no fun. Loading them in a minivan is much easier. Ever check out the room behind the 3rd seat of an 80? There isn't any. Now look behind the 3rd seat of a Sienna. There is a cavern of room there for groceries, strollers,soccer balls, what ever you are toting.

You could get 2 car seats and an 8 year old in the 2nd row with no problems.

How is the weather were you are and do you live in the city or more rural. If potential driving conditions during the winter are severe, then that may be what you need for the 80. Otherwise, the minivan may work for you.

The 100 series may have more room in the 2nd row and is much more plush.

gas mileage will be better in the minivan.

I own a '04 Toyota Sienna mini van, and a '92 Toyota LC 80.

The minivan gets 25-27 MPG, easy to get in and out of for the kids (I have an 8y/o and a 3y/o), surround sound DVD, and a realistic third row seat that will fit adults comfortably. All of the seats recline, which really helps when you get into the booster backed seats.

Here is some good info on Booster type seats;

http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/refcap/bigkid/gsafety/65758.html

513SpsfisnL._AA262_.jpg

Yes i picked pink because I have two girls.

The booster seats allow the seat back to recline which is very helpful when your kids fall asleep. In the 80 your kids won't be able to recline, and their heads will fall forward, and bounce up and down as the car travels. This is bad for their necks. When we were kids, we could lay on the seat without a belt. Those days are gone, and for good reason. Kids are strapped in for long periods of time now, so comfort as well as safety are very important.

Using a booster seat without the back is very dangerous. The purpose of the back on a booster seat is to keep the belt off of the child's neck in an accident. My wife works in anesthesia at a children's hospital here in TN. She has seen many trauma victims, I mean dead children, that were not restrained properly. If the seat belt is across the neck in an accident, often the arteries in the neck are torn, which in most cases is DEATH.

Now I'm not saying that driving an 80 will cause your children to die, that info above is about using the back with the booster that has the slot for a seatbelt, V.S. taking the back off and just using the seat bottom. A lot of people do that to get the child a more comfortable reclined position.

So... if you require an 80 for the 4x4 ability/clearance, then selecting the proper seat is important and propping up their heads when they fall asleep is as well.

I wasn't a minivan person either, until owning one. My wife wanted the minivan, and I wanted a Sequoia (I didn't know about the LC 80's then). Once we had one, I realized how nice they are to drive on long trips, easy opening doors in parking lots, even with two full size SUV's parked next to you (MV doors slide back). Car seats fir so well in the vans too, and access to the back seat is a breeze without having to lift or move seats, or climb over seats.

Airbags in the Minivan cover the whole passenger compartment. Side front frontal airbags, side curtain airbags are all available in the '04 and up Siennas. I've got 85,000 miles on the Sienna, and we bought it new in '03. No problems at all.

I would sell the rigs you have now and get the Sienna. And if you have the chance to get an LC 80 too, I would get one.

I use my 97 as the family hauler and during the school year I fill all the seats bringing the neighborhood kids home from school. Using an 80 like a mini van can be done, but probably not as practical. Here are the down sides I have found. The middle seat in the second row only has a lap belt and the air bag does not have a kill switch. Another downside is MPG of an 80. However, sprightly kids love to climb into the back and usually fight over who gets the third row ( I have fixed the hinges on the third row to allow them to recline to get people in easier). Unless your lifestyle requires it, like having a family hauler will double as a camping in remote places, the minivan could suit your needs better.

Get both!
Buy the 80, it sounds like a good deal at less than 10 grand.
Get a mini van(s) to tide you over, kids grow up fast and they will all be making you a grandpa before you wear out that 80.

I have 3 kids (4,2,.4) and have them in a '97 80. The pros and cons have pretty much been covered. Rear air would have been good the past few weeks with 100+ temps around here. With 2 in the third row and 1 in the second, we actually gained a passenger spot when we put the 3rd row seats back in. We lost all of the storage in the rear though. We have no problems as a daily driver, fits all of our groceries, large boxes diapers, water, etc.... Camping and vacations might require some external storage. Loading kids in the 3rd row is a little inconvenient (compared to a minivan) but not a huge problem. All depends of the wife.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom