Can an 80 save me from a minivan? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd get the MiniVan.
We have a minivan and a 91 LC.
The cruiser is nice and I guess tougher looking then minivan, but I'd pick the minivan simply for the kids. I have 3 boys and they can easily fit and get in the Truck, but the ride and comfort isn't as nice as the van's. The gas mileage sucks on the truck. Don't get me wrong I would never get rid of my truck. I'd get rid of the van before the truck, but for family purposes and with the price of gas nowadays I'd definitely go minivan. Who gives a s*** what other people think of me when I'm driving it.

so that's +1 for minivan.
Don't buy something just because YOU want it.
Think of your wife and kids and what would be best for them.
Also think of the gas. you'll spend about twice as much on gas for the truck then a minivan.
Just my .02

Get a 100.

This is the main reason I sold my modded XJ and bought the 80...we're expecting our 3rd child in 2 weeks and I'll be damned if I was going to have a minivan again ;) I wanted something I could take on the trails too.

We've already put the child seat in the 80 to see how easy it would be, and it's actually no problem. The child/baby seat is behind my driver's seat with the passenger side middle seat folded up and tied off. The two kids we already have sit in the third row all the time...no problems. So, I would say it's just as convenient as a mini-van. You just have to find the right seating combo to make it work.

The FJ-80...off road minivan ;)

Minivan for your situation.

-Your 8 year old won't be happy wedged between the car seats in the middle row.
-With car seats buckled next to the doors the 8 yr old either has to climb over the center or in through the hatch or window to get to the 3rd row.
-Canada = snow. Take the comment above and add slush to the shoes.

We waited until our last child could buckle herself, then we went for the 80. At that point they can manage the seat flipping, the boosters are in the back seat with the older kids in the middle row, and we do use the sliders for access in the summer months.

If you still have the 60's you have access to the great outdoors, so a minivan is a nice ride for your wife. Get over the stigma, they really are comfortable, many have PLENTY of power, and they drive nice.

I love my 80, but with gas prices being what they are, I have been considering getting a minivan also. It's pretty ridiculous.

The minivan is more practical for a family of 5, better gas mileage, more cargo room, more creature comforts.

In the 80, if you sit all 3 kids in the middle row, they will fight. Also, there's hardly any cargo room in the back of the 80 when you leave the 3rd row seat in. If you are haulin 3 kids, you will need cargo room! Gas mileage is a killer compared to the minivan.

The main advantage of the 80 will be driving in harsh conditions like snow and the SUV factor (compared to the minivan stigma).

Option 1: get both the 80 and the minivan. :)

Option 2: if you can't get both because of budget, how about something like a minivan (but not). For example, the new toyota highlander can be optioned like a minivan with captains chairs for the kids (like a minivan) and seating for 7. Optionally, you could go with one of the GM lambda platform SUV's (Saturn Outlook, GMC Acadia, Buick something) that are also very minivan like with captains chairs the middle row and seating for 7.

Option 3: bite the bullet and get the minivan.

I think the best option might be option 2 if you can only get one vehicle and want to strike a balance between all the various forces.

My cousin's family (2 kids+ lots of kidpool stuff) has a Sienna. It is as perfect for families as the 80 is for offroading.
Once you sit in there and look at all the features and room, it doesn't make any sense to get a suv. For them; it makes all the baby seats, bags and tons of junk they must carry a breeze.

another cool thing is the Sienna has power sliding doors on both sides. it's a giant, walk-in box on wheels.

It also has superior crash protection and vsc.

splitbuseric, I see you have a Westfalia Camper. If you decide on a minivan, why not get a VW Synchro!

hehe, you have a wealth of information here. I have both an 80 and a Sienna. for a family hauler there is no comparison to a mini van. Get the mini.

It strikes me that everyone here with a minivan is advising you to get a minivan. That says something right there. Those without, are so concerned about their image that they are recommending against it, with no actual experience to back it up. I love the cruisers as adventure/camping/4wheeling vehicles, but as practical transport for your family, the minivan wins.

You have a family, and their needs come first, regardless of how much you want an 80. Since you have a family, your image is no longer on the list of important things. Get over it. You really will be MUCH happier with a minivan for everyday family duties. With that said, sell one of your two 60s and replace with an 80. You won't regret that either.

My wife prefers the 80 over the mini van. We have three kids, oldest is nine and he loves to crawl in and out of the back on his own (steps up on the rear hitch/ball). I know that wifey prefers the 80 b/c we had a 2007 Sienna on vacation two weeks ago and, at the end of the week, she said "I miss my Cruiser". We travel to our cabin several times per month, and the safety and security in knowing that if we hit an animal, or if the weather is bad, we will still be able to make it to our destination, makes our choice in the 80 worthwhile.

My wife and I both DESPISE mini-vans (although our rental Sienna was a rocket ship, as I pulled out in traffic for the first time and lit up the front tires, stayed on it, and chirped them in 2nd). You could always purchase the 80, try it out, and sell it later for a van (or as others have said, sell a 60 and buy the van).
GOOD LUCK!

Been there. Done that. Had a Honda Odyssey. Sold it after a year. Would never replace the 80 with it.

Now I would consider a 6 speed Mazdaspeed 5 if they ever built one!

Have both. Buy a sienna, and keep the 60.

I love the 80, but the 06 sienna is a much much better family hauler in almost every way than the 80. The only place the 80 wins is in really really bad winter weather, those cases I just stay off the roads with the kids.

Lots of great feedback here... I was hoping that the 80 would be driven little and we would have a cheaper car for runs into town and for me to go to work... However, I dont' desire an 80 steeply I must admit, more to replace my aging 60s with something more family friendly and still have a cruiser. One my 60s is no longer road worthy and the other isn't exactly a show winner either....I really enjoy the old bouncy, tough feel of the 60 anyway....And I would really miss the torquey diesel.... I need a bargain hdj81...........Don't we all......

I can see the minivan being easier and more practical....and obviously more fuel efficient.... We were planning on having a family hauler and frugal golf or jetta....I didn't want to end up with a minivan and a jetta, no cruiser at all.... maybe I will just keep driving the 60, it is dead ass reliable anyway....

Eric -
I am speaking from the experiences of my friends as I do not have any kids. I do have an 80 though and I cannot imagine buckling in three kids and car seats...it is just not made for that. I am not saying that it can not be done...because where there is a will there is a way. My friends who have kids (everywhere from 1 - 4) have a variety of vehicles from mini-vans to Suburbans to straight up station wagons (estates). I think the best set-up I saw was one of my friends who just (a few days ago) got a BMW M5 Touring here in Hong Kong (station wagon) he has three kids (all strapped into the rear) and 507bhp under the hood. It works.
What I would suggest is that your wife test drives a variety of vehicles with the kids, it is a pain but the best way to do, if it turns out a mini-van is the best bet then so be it. If it is a Cruiser, so be it. Bottom-line your wife and kids come before any "style" considerations so I would leave it to her and the children.

I bought an 1992 FJ80 for my daughter, and after my wife drove it; she fell in love so much that she is willing to sell her minivan in exchange for for the an FJ80 Definitely there is plenty room for two car seats.:)

One thing I haven't heard mentioned is the extra up front cost of the van. 20k vs, 10k.

10k will buy a lot of fuel. An 8 year old is big enough to crawl through the back hatch even in the winter, and you can take one side of the third row out so you still have cargo room.

We just bought a sedan for running around, and as good as the gas mileage is, and as comfy as it is, we won't be taking it to California for new years. We'll be taking the 80.

Minivans are nifty, comfy, and efficient, but the 80 has a lot more to offer.....

Disclaimer: I do not own a minivan, my self image is very healthy, and if I lived in a place with no snow and a lot of freeways and parking lots, I'd buy one.

I have a '95 80. It is a great truck for my purposes. The twins, in car seats, and mom fit just fine in the second row.

With that said, my mother wanted to get a vehicle that would make it easy for her to take the kids. She bought a loaded Sienna AWD. It flat rocks! It has loads of power, extreme comfort and can hauld a ton of stuff. The DVD is great to keep the kids occupied on long trips.

Three kids in car seats? I'd get a minivan. (Prior to driving the Sienna I swore all minivans were the antichrists.)

:cheers:

I love my 80 ... so do my three boys!

We put the booster and the car seat in the third seats and even the 10 yr old wants to sit back there. The two younger like the adventure I guess.

Every kid I take anywhere ... neighbor kids ... church kids ... you name it ... they all want to sit in the third row.

I want to take the third row out ... wife and kids say ... no way. So much for my dreams of an ARB fridge back there! ;)

So ... I wear the pants ... she tells my which ones! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom