Can a LC power steering rack work on a 99 LX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The steering rack on my lx is leaking slowly. Had to top up every now and then. Since I am planning to keep it for a couple of years, I decided to replace it.

I did some research and of course the oem ones are the best way to go, but the Lexus dealer asked $1000 for the part. I found someone on the forum just bought the one for LC from Comeback Toyota just for $532. So my question is can I get a rack for LC and put it on my 1999 LX470? Has anyone done this before?

I see the part number is 4425060050 for the LC steering rack. Can't find a part # for Lexus steering rack though.

Alternatives are A1 cardone remanufactured ones, they are $440 ($200 Core) from RockAuto. Are they any good?

Going to rockauto, checking the Land Cruiser rack part numbers against the Lexus LX470 rack part numbers, indicates they are the same. Personally, as much work that is involved, I wouldn’t risk it with aftermarket, I would get Toyota.

I've not checked you part numbers. But yes they are interchangeable form 98-02. 98-02 use a "D" bushing on PS with two tie down bolt and two bolts on DS one front the other on rear of race.

In 2003 they went to a different design that has one tie down both on each the DS & PS, this will not work for you.

You may want to try ATP at-205 re-seal in power steering reservoir first. I may stop the leak. Follow direction on bottle to the letter, no more no less.

Its the same

upload_2017-10-9_11-33-33.png
upload_2017-10-9_11-33-33.png

Note: I've seen many time where the return hose and or suction hose leak coming from reservoir. Leak follows down and back for the most part. This sometime makes it look like rack leaking. Clean off all oil, then watch very closely to pin point is best course of action.

Also do not use power steering fluid, can cause leaks. Use only ATF in power steering. I like M1 full synthetic MV ATF. I use same stuff in transmission of 98-02's.

Thanks guys!! And @2001LC That's a very good advice, find where exactly the problem is before spending so much money.
It's people with so much experience like you and many other who make the forum so great. I know I can never achieve your level or even close, but I'll try to contribute when I can.

Thanks guys!! And @2001LC That's a very good advice, find where exactly the problem is before spending so much money.
It's people with so much experience like you and many other who make the forum so great. I know I can never achieve your level or even close, but I'll try to contribute when I can.
Thank for for the kind words. But don't sell yourself short, you can do all things just as good as anyone else! I've lost count of the number times I've woke-up in the morning and said "Darn better pull it apart again and start over" mistakes are how we learn the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom