Builds CAMPTEQ's 80 Series Pop top Prototype (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@ab1985 Thank you for the pics.. If you get a chance sometime, can you take a few pics of the finished edge when standing inside.. I'm Trying to get that perspective. If you are still in Nashville, I'd like to take a look sometime and drive up from BHM if that would be ok?

Thank you so much for the pics again..

John

Just noticed the pic you're asking about is not showing up. Let me try this again. Nm. Will update from a pc later tonight.

Screenshot_20190131-191652~2.png

Last edited:
Just noticed the pic you're asking about is not showing up. Let me try this again. Nm. Will update from a pc later tonight.

View attachment 1894023

Thanks for sorting that out.. Looks like an upholstery shop could trim out the gap from the roof cut.. Are you happy with the 3/4 cut? Looks really nice

Thanks again

John

I'm sure they could. That gap honestly doesn't bother me. You don't see it unless you're standing up with the top open. If anything I could see having a shop do a cleaner job with the trim from the roof cut down, but to each their own.

I'm super happy with the 3/4 cut vs no cut. I have zero regrets. No opinion on full cut.

I agree about the gap between the roof and the campteq not being an issue aesthetically wise. The important part is making the headliner to the roof cut look good. The only reason I didn’t cut 3/4 was because I didn’t want to deal with the extra fabric needed to cover in the middle of the headliner behind the sunroof as you see in ab1985’s pictures. In hindsight I might have been better off with a 3/4 cut vs the full cut that I did. The full cut is to the windshield side of the sunroof opening. Once you secure the fabric from the headliner there is no good way to reinstall the front dome light. The front edge of the sunroof opening is to far forward of the dome light if that make sense.
@ab1985 did you remove your sunroof glass?

The full cut is to the windshield side of the sunroof opening. Once you secure the fabric from the headliner there is no good way to reinstall the front dome light. The front edge of the sunroof opening is to far forward of the dome light if that make sense.

If one had the time and skills, one could fabricate an overhead console, like this one by Outback but much shorter, with a dome light facing rearward.

RC200.jpg

I’m thinking of building an overhead shelf that a light could be attached to.

There are tons of dome light options. Just hit your local junkyard and find something compact. Then stick an LED bulb in it. Or do LED strip lights!

I'm thinking having high density foam covered in an acceptable color and that would trim out that area.

Good note on removing sunroof glass so I'll add that to the list.

I'm excited about making this more of a camper than what it is now. I wonder how much less room we have side to side VS. a troopy.. I'd love to have some cabinets built and a seating area opposite .

Cheers

John

Last edited:
There are tons of dome light options. Just hit your local junkyard and find something compact. Then stick an LED bulb in it. Or do LED strip lights!
I’ve got led strip lights installed. The issue is covering the hole in the headliner where the dome light/sunroof control, hence the idea of a visor shelf to cover it up.

Oh man. This discussion has got me thinking of a roof cut and interior build. out. I even just got a line on barn doors.

T- if you guys have access to bring any More in, please let me know.

I’ve got led strip lights installed. The issue is covering the hole in the headliner where the dome light/sunroof control, hence the idea of a visor shelf to cover it up.
There are a few vans and suvs that came with little storage shelves up there in the visor area. Heck you might even be able to butcher a door pocket or two from an 80 to make something up there. Time to go back to the junkyard!

Oh man. This discussion has got me thinking of a roof cut and interior build. out. I even just got a line on barn doors.

With all the back seats out there really are some awesome possibilities. I'm going backwards to a 4 seater configuration + room for a dog, but I may keep/build out my 2 person setup and use that for longer solo trips.

After much research and thought, I feel that the 3/4 cut is the one for me. I like the idea of having the driver/passenger area headliner looking factory and keeping the noise down with the headliner/sunroof slide in place.
I will be using the sunroof slide opening for access (with a second 20" hatch above it) to the sleeping area and have a 60" sleeping platform that lifts up parallel to the roof of the camp-top when its opened. That way I can leave all our bedding in place during travel and still be able to get below via the sunroof slide (sunroof mech and glass removed) to my custom cabinets\bench-seat\fridge and camp toilet while camping.
I will have a custom step that covers the center console for easy access through the sunroof opening, that way there will be no wear and tear on my center console from being stepped on.
Anyway this is all just speculation until I actually do the cut and top mount!

Gonna be a fun summer!!

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see what you come up with. I've heard a lot people speculate about using the sunroof for ingress/egress over the years. Frankly, I don't see that being a great option. Climbing in and out of the bed from the back is easy. Doing it through the sunroof will be a PITA for a couple of reasons. The area you are stepping in and out of is cluttered even with a custom step. Worse, though, is the area you are climbing into is the shortest height of the tent really only slightly higher than the roof. You will have to snake your way in and out.

It's a novel idea, but I don't see it working. Would love to see someone prove me wrong, though. :)

Your points are valid! I will have to give it a shot though, worst case I will have to cut some new plywood and reconfigure.
I will do lots of testing before mounting permanently!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom