Builds CAMPTEQ's 80 Series Pop top Prototype (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is probably useful information for this thread:

I use the Ikea "MINNESUND" mattress. Size "full." It's designed for a slatted base. The cover is removable and washable. I cut the foam to width, folding the excess cover in equal parts under each side. Length-wise it's a few inches short, but not noticeable.

Fitted with two sheets, the shell closes onto it, and may even compress it a bit -- so, I would say that 3 7/8" is the maximum mattress thickness compatible with a Campteq.

MINNESUND Foam mattress - Twin - IKEA

minnesund-foam-mattress-white__0421860_PE578076_S4.JPG

Im slat bed and a ~3" EXPED with full beding and an insulated top

T -

Enough room for a sleeping bag, blanket and pillows and still close?

Thanks,

J

No, not enough room with a 3 7/8" mattress -- a choice we made to err on the side of plushness.

We keep two clean sheets fitted (Euro style, per the boss) so that's it's always ready to deploy. The other bedding and pillows are packed during and between travel.

No, not enough room with a 3 7/8" mattress -- a choice we made to err on the side of plushness.

We keep two clean sheets fitted (Euro style, per the boss) so that's it's always ready to deploy. The other bedding and pillows are packed during and between travel.
Many Exped owners would argue your plushness comment.

Many Exped owners would argue your plushness comment.

Didn't intend to create a false dichotomy. I have no doubt that there are plenty of comfy options in the 2-3" thickness range that allow one to keep bedding up top. We chose to max out mattress thickness.

I've had catastrophic failures with Exped products while bicycle touring -- failures that left me sleeping on hard ground for a few nights. I'm still holding a grudge and won't give them any more of my money.

We use a 3" foam mattress with two Thermarest Neo air inflatables in a Thermarest sleeve to make them one big air mattress. Having air on foam allows you to adjust the Plush with air pressure! Works awesome!

Last edited:
The bed platform is left up to you. Eric gave me a slatted bed platform and that is what Phil is currently using. Since I cut my roof I knew I wanted a platform that I could raise up out of the way and stand inside. I made a platform out of plywood into two sections. The main platform is 60in length and the rear platform is 20in length. Both sections have gas struts so I can raise them both out of the way with my bedding remaining in place. The main platform hinges from the front and the smaller platform hinges from the rear. With the smaller platform open I can crawl upstairs and then shut the smaller platform behind me.

How thick of plywood did you use? Baltic birch?

How thick of plywood did you use? Baltic birch?

I’m using 3” foam in total. 2” firm plus 1” plush on top. I have 1/2” ply wrapped in fiberglass split in 3 sections and upholstered. I can store a double width north face bag, sheets, house pillows and 2- 800 fill goose down bags up top while closed, along with bear spray, large knife, and headlamp. I have skipped the insulation for the added room. The bare aluminum is easy to wipe any condensation from in the morning and there is no place for moisture to absorb. I’m currently building a composite raising bed system to shed some weight and added convenience.

D68BD707-CC8C-4CBE-B3C1-48AB89FB582A.jpeg

CE20DD86-77B0-41C4-BEAC-96CBBF9C765B.jpeg

So there seems to be some contradictions with regard to available space and I'm trying to sort this out.. Seems Eric has 3" of foam, sleeping bags and pillows along with sheets and another bag on top.. that's about what I have in the alu-cab but I have 4" foam and 1" insulation on floor and ceiling

I was thinking 4" of mattress, sheet, blanket and pillows could fit along with 1" Insulation on ceiling.... now I'm not sure ~

Thoughts anyone?

My mattress is also 3” thick foam and I can fit all of my bedding. 4” mattress will be to thick to fit everything plus roof insulation.

I have removed mine and can verify its half inch, I have not removed the quilted top layer/insulation so cant say how thick that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom