Pop when turning. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1997 LC

I just had all my bushing replaced underneath the 80. About 2 weeks later It developed a pop sound when turning. When the truck is on ground not moving, and you turn the wheels you will hear a single pop. When on a lift it will not recreate the sound. I have rechecked all the bushings and they are tight. I am hoping someone can point in the right direction. My next step was the check my birfs. Those were rebuilt 15k miles ago. Looking for ideas on what this could be. I checked the frame and do not see any movement or cracking around the steering box.

Mark

Does the sound occur when you steer back towards straight also?
Does it occur (repeatedly) on hard acceleration in a tight turn, like merging with traffic out of a parking lot or side street?

Has there been any other work/service performed before the popping began?

Lay under it while someone turns the wheels back/forth, ideally replicating the popping sound and then put your hands on different parts of the steering system and where components bolt to frame, etc. You should be able to feel the pop and trace it down to it's origins.

Cracks can show up on the frame around the steering box and also where the bracing crosses from one side of the frame to the other, etc. Inspecting for cracks while the wheels are being turned (tires on the ground) can also help find cracks that may be really hard to see when static but that will open up a little under stress and be easier to see.

Does the sound occur when you steer back towards straight also?
Does it occur (repeatedly) on hard acceleration in a tight turn, like merging with traffic out of a parking lot or side street?

Has there been any other work/service performed before the popping began?
No, its a single pop.

Its not an acceleration or tight turn that will generate the pop.

I did the knuckles at 205k now 222k
Bushing replaced at 222k
steering pump replaced at 220k

IH8MUD will post similar threads to your below the bottom of the post. E.g.:
1708373406617.png

This can jump start a thread search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom