Camping / road trip prep. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About to embark on our first family camping/ road trip. Growing up I never really got to opportunity to do this and I am really excited to make some memories with my family.

We are going to be towing a 4300lbs jayco jay flight x213 behind our 2001 lx. I figure loaded with water and everything it will be close to 5500lbs. I tow often at work with an F550 and trailers up to 14000lbs so I'm not concerned with me but the LX. The guy we are renting it off of has a weight distribution hitch and sway control set up we will be using and the previous owner wired up a brake controller (checked that out and it works). I've done a lot of maintenance on the truck to date. It has 405, 000kms on it now and all that I'm about to list has been done in the last 10,000kms.

-radiator and heater T's
-alternator
-Battery
-brake booster motor and fluid
-rotors and pads
-wheel bearings
-front, rear, and transfer case fluid
-transmission fluid
-spark plugs and coils
-AHC fluid
-oil (just changed)

My question is what's everyones experiences been like towing? We will be going about 2500kms in total over 12 days, going over 2 mountain passes. From what I've found on here I should be fine, just take it easy more or less.

Also if anyone has any tips for a first time camping (really a glamping) trip please feel free to let me know! My 2 boys are 5 and 2 years old and are really excited!

Thanks!

Does it have a trans oil cooler in front of radiator in addition to a section in radiator?
A trans oil temp gauge is handy to know how easy to take it climbing hills. Scangauge can be set up to show ATF Temp, not sure if it works for all years.

Does it have a trans oil cooler in front of radiator in addition to a section in radiator?
A trans oil temp gauge is handy to know how easy to take it climbing hills. Scangauge can be set up to show ATF Temp, not sure if it works for all years.
Thanks yeah that's a good idea. I do have a transcooler. I'm going to order this. Amazon product ASIN B07JFRFJG6. It should show all kinds of info on my phone. I like the scanguage but I think this will do the same with less wiring. Thanks for the reply!

Anticipate doing 60-65mph on the flat parts, either drafting a semi or in free air. Anything more, and the 4spd will hunt in and out of OD way too often. That seems to be the sweet spot for tranny temps, progress, and a happy transmission.

Which WS/AD hitch setup? I have the Husky version with the solid spring bars. It is a PITA to get the bars on, even with the AHC of the LX. I don't recommend using L to help in attaching the hitch either; do it in N. You'll want the AHC in it's natural driving setting when hitching, as I found out during multiple attempts.

With the WS/AD hitch properly set up, your rear springs should be OK and not necessarily need additional air bags for support.

Anticipate ~7mpg.

Camping/glamping is all about attitude. You can have butlers and caviar, but if you don't enjoy it, nothing will make a difference. For me, it's about stretching the comfort zone to be exciting but not a PITA.

Anticipate doing 60-65mph on the flat parts, either drafting a semi or in free air. Anything more, and the 4spd will hunt in and out of OD way too often. That seems to be the sweet spot for tranny temps, progress, and a happy transmission.

Which WS/AD hitch setup? I have the Husky version with the solid spring bars. It is a PITA to get the bars on, even with the AHC of the LX. I don't recommend using L to help in attaching the hitch either; do it in N. You'll want the AHC in it's natural driving setting when hitching, as I found out during multiple attempts.

With the WS/AD hitch properly set up, your rear springs should be OK and not necessarily need additional air bags for support.

Anticipate ~7mpg.

Camping/glamping is all about attitude. You can have butlers and caviar, but if you don't enjoy it, nothing will make a difference. For me, it's about stretching the comfort zone to be exciting but not a PITA.
I was thinking I would leave it out of OD all together. All the towing threads said they had so I assumed that's the thing to do with these but I'll probably try for myself to see. I'm not concerned with speed to much so long as we get there in one piece, truck included lol. I'm not sure on the WD/AD set up as I'm renting this off a site called "outdoorsy". Thought I'd try this first before purchasing one and finding out the wife is just not that into it. Hopefully they guy I'm renting it off of will do a good run-through. Good point about the AHC! I will leave it in N. I love road trips and driving in general so I'll be fine. The wife on the other hand not so much ahaha. Have you done many mountain passes towing? Any speed you'd say is a sweet spot for that?

I live in FL. Our most famous "mountain" is Mount Dora. Google it and see how useful my feedback would be :beer:

I was thinking I would leave it out of OD all together. All the towing threads said they had so I assumed that's the thing to do with these but I'll probably try for myself to see. I'm not concerned with speed to much so long as we get there in one piece, truck included lol. I'm not sure on the WD/AD set up as I'm renting this off a site called "outdoorsy". Thought I'd try this first before purchasing one and finding out the wife is just not that into it. Hopefully they guy I'm renting it off of will do a good run-through. Good point about the AHC! I will leave it in N. I love road trips and driving in general so I'll be fine. The wife on the other hand not so much ahaha. Have you done many mountain passes towing? Any speed you'd say is a sweet spot for that?

there is no way you're going to pull that over a mountain pass with OD on.

my 2000 can barely pull ITSELF up a mountain pass with OD on.

When I lived in Denver, the gas pedal just introduced more noise and lower mpg. It was so pointless I never passed 2K rpm when accelerating.

Just go slow. My 100, loaded up for a week and NOT towing a trailer, involved getting passed by semi's through the San Juans in CO... these things are slow. They do nothing quickly. Turn, Stop, Start... expect single digit mpg and don't push it. Otherwise, have fun :)

Please post your experience when you get back. We almost bought a travel trailer this spring but just wasn't sure of we would enjoy driving under 55 mph when towing :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom