Camping Equipment for Our Trucks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We started camping much later on with our kids. Many years ago, we did take our daughter on a flight when she was 2 months old. I was a nervous wreck. What if she starts screaming, what if she gets hungry, what if she has a blow out in the diaper, etc. In the end it was fine but I would never recommend it. Camping with kids are much easier as long as the weather is comfortable.
Nothing I have ever faced in my life is scarier than flying with a baby from NY to Miami (I have had a boring life). That was petrifying. In the olden days, doctors used to recommend having a glass rod you would dip into "spirits", and the child would suck it and "calm down", used to help with "teething problems, sleeping problems, any problem!". Now days, bring Benadryl, need more benadryl than cowbell. Mommy and Daddy little saver.

More of a story about living on the road vs gear, but still fun.

My wife is set on getting an 8 person tent....even though there are 3 of us (and 2 golden retrievers). I thought about getting an instant tent, but saw the Amazon Basics tents. Gets good reviews and it is huge. Probably will get used 3-4 times a year max. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
My wife is set on getting an 8 person tent....even though there are 3 of us (and 2 golden retrievers). I thought about getting an instant tent, but saw the Amazon Basics tents. Gets good reviews and it is huge. Probably will get used 3-4 times a year max. Any recommendations?

Sounds perfect for your use. It's a big tent (15x9), 4 poles, rainfly. With that size you can setup kitchen, sleeping, bathroom spaces, which in bad weather is a bliss.... When you get it, you may want to spread out the rain fly and spray some water repellent on it as added insurance. Set it up and spray bug spray around the base, let it dry and you are good to go for a year..

Don't be discouraged when some of the kids come out and say "but it's from china, it's from china, its from china....". Hell with them, everything is from China.

Sounds perfect for your use. It's a big tent (15x9), 4 poles, rainfly. With that size you can setup kitchen, sleeping, bathroom spaces, which in bad weather is a bliss.... When you get it, you may want to spread out the rain fly and spray some water repellent on it as added insurance. Set it up and spray bug spray around the base, let it dry and you are good to go for a year..

Don't be discouraged when some of the kids come out and say "but it's from china, it's from china, its from china....". Hell with them, everything is from China.

I am not worried about the China stuff.

What type of bug spray do you spray on it....Raid?

We went to Field and Stream and Dicks....they have thee act same stuff and prices...same company. Didn't see anything there that appealed to us in tents or sleeping bags. Went to Taget and they had some Coleman bags that my daughter and wife really liked so got those. Now I just need to find one for me. My old bag is ready to be donated to the dogs permanently.

I'm going to guess Izzy will say something with the max amount of Permathrin in it.

You have already had all the children you want and you have decent health insurance, correct? :)

I found this if so: Amazon.com : Permethrin SFR 36.8% permethrin Quart 6666105 : Home And Garden Products : Patio, Lawn & Garden

You can mix it down to .5% for a really good cost. You need like a tablespoon per gallon. Or you could just buy it in a can and not have to wear hazmat gear.

DoD gave me Skin-so-Soft many years ago.... in pink bottles. That crap worked!

This is what I used since DDT is no longer available unless I go overseas: Amazon.com: 3M SRCG-12 Ultrathon Insect Repellent for Clothing and Gear, 8 oz.: Patio, Lawn & Garden

Permethrin... And kids are over rated anyways, doing you a favor.

Seriously, you don't have to bug spay it. I didn't know that was a thing until someone else here mentioned it. So I have been camping in the woods without it for 35 years.

For my mattress, trying this next weekend. Because why not.

Amazon.com : TETON Sports ComfortLite XXL Self Inflating Camp Pad; Sleeping Mat or Pad; Perfect for Camping with Rapid Inflation Valve : Self Inflating Sleeping Pads : Sports & Outdoors

This is the one that went bad after 3 years, pretty expensive, so ordered one too! I do like the Full size too.
Amazon.com : Intex Classic Downy Airbed, Full : Camping Air Mattresses : Sports & Outdoors

I am not worried about the China stuff.

We went to Field and Stream and Dicks....they have thee act same stuff and prices...same company. Didn't see anything there that appealed to us in tents or sleeping bags. Went to Taget and they had some Coleman bags that my daughter and wife really liked so got those. Now I just need to find one for me. My old bag is ready to be donated to the dogs permanently.

Bags are a personal thing, meaning you can buy what others have and hated. With that in mind, I prefer the fleece "liners" for summer, I can't sleep when too hot and the liners work great as long as it is 55 or higher in my non-scientific testing. I have one Coleman and one from Gander (their own brand). Good bang for buck. When the temp goes down to 40s I am in my 25 year old Slumberjack, it was worth every dime.
Amazon.com : Coleman Stratus Fleece Sleeping Bag : Sports & Outdoors

Bags are a personal thing, meaning you can buy what others have and hated. With that in mind, I prefer the fleece "liners" for summer, I can't sleep when too hot and the liners work great as long as it is 55 or higher in my non-scientific testing. I have one Coleman and one from Gander (their own brand). Good bang for buck. When the temp goes down to 40s I am in my 25 year old Slumberjack, it was worth every dime.
I just sleep naked

Nice! I've been looking for a cheap summer setup.

Check out the REI Garage. It's all clearance stuff they are trying to get rid of. I picked up four 20 degree extra long sleeping bags for $50 each. We LOVE them when it is cool outside.

finally opened up the tent yesterday that @sleepycruiser enabled me to buy ;). Washed the rainfly once so far, will wash again - exactly as sleepycruiser described before - sticky and waxy - the waxlike covering is flaking off pretty well. Nice size for 2 people, super easy to setup. Pooch seemed ok with it.

View attachment 1460168
We used all three of these at a Cub camp this weekend. Several people asked where we got them and I had to tell the long story. We bailed early before the rain started, but they worked really well. Also, I've used that Cadac Safari Chef 2 a dozen or more times now and I have to say I really like it if anyone is looking for a new cooking system.

Thanks to @Beau Diddly for meeting me in Asheville yesterday - during a full day of rain - to pick up one of his tents. No pics as of yet, but will post up once the rain stops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom