Call out for ideas: TLC FJ40 Hardtop Storage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings all: Putting out a request for ideas storing my hardtop for the summer. My garage only has 8' ceilings and I want to get the top up, as close to the ceiling as possible.

Below is a pic of the area I want to use. I have room width and length between the cold air return and air duct.

Any novel approaches out there? Thanks in advance!!!

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3070.JPG

I have a 9'4" ceiling. With 8 foot ceilings I would just hang the lid up there and hang the sides and rear doors on the wall somewhere. It is more labor intensive to put together and take apart, but the advantage is you won't bang your head on it, and you can keep corrosion in check on a regular basis. When assembling remember anti-seize is your friend.
36DE9E28-A5F0-4CC7-BD95-67094E866909_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
I like hoist systems, but your space is limited for sure. How 'bout cutting out some of the ceiling drywall, putting some wood or unistrut braces on top of and across the ceiling joists, and putting a cheapo electric lift (essentially a small winch) on those? If you used 2x6" on edge for the top braces, it would give you some extra clearance for the lift motor and pulley(s), possibly allowing you to pull the hard top almost all the way to the ceiling.

I have a 9'4" ceiling. With 8 foot ceilings I would just hang the lid up there and hang the sides and rear doors on the wall somewhere. It is more labor intensive to put together and take apart, but the advantage is you won't bang your head on it, and you can keep corrosion in check on a regular basis. When assembling remember anti-seize is your friend. View attachment 3016445

This is the only open wall space I had remaining. Using it for the doors.

IMG_3068.JPG

I like hoist systems, but your space is limited for sure. How 'bout cutting out some of the ceiling drywall, putting some wood or unistrut braces on top of and across the ceiling joists, and putting a cheapo electric lift (essentially a small winch) on those? If you used 2x6" on edge for the top braces, it would give you some extra clearance for the lift motor and pulley(s), possibly allowing you to pull the hard top almost all the way to the ceiling.

I'm looking at a couple different options REF Hoist system(s). Thinking about taking it apart as well @TEakins ^^^.

But, leaving it together sure makes for an easy install come fall.

I also have 8' ceilings in my garage so this is what I do for my 76. Bought this lift from Amazon to hoist the top off in my 9' tall carport Then made a simple dolly so it all can be rolled into a corner for summer. All doors store inside and I never have that wonderful pleasure of hitting my head on the hanging top. 🙂

unnamed (1).jpg

Fotor_155757134576013 (1).jpg

20200613_105354.jpg

20200613_105328.jpg

66" x 35.5" Outside measurements. It's just 2x6s with casters underneath. Top fits snug inside but isn't pinched. I added that padded 2x2 you see in the 3rd picture so the weight of the top does not crush the rain gutter and instead is on the door header.

Where there is a mini frig, there's buddies... :beer::beer:;)

Is it a requirement that you keep it in one piece? Do you have any buddies to help lift if off or do you need some sort of hoist?

Edit: I just saw your comment on that you might take it apart.

No, it's not a requirement but, it sure makes it easier to put on and take off....

I also have 8' ceilings in my garage so this is what I do for my 76. Bought this lift from Amazon to hoist the top off in my 9' tall carport Then made a simple dolly so it all can be rolled into a corner for summer. All doors store inside and I never have that wonderful pleasure of hitting my head on the hanging top. 🙂

View attachment 3016463

View attachment 3016465

View attachment 3016466

View attachment 3016467

Looks like a Racor lift which is out of stock at Amazon and Walmart online. I bought a lift that looks just like from someone. He never installed it and neither have I. How does it operated? Can't remember if mine has a long handle to operate it or use a ratchet. It still stored away in the box.

Here is what I did. Granted I have access to the attic and that is where I put the harbor freight winch. Some unistrut, eye bolts, Rubbermaid hooks and other hardware and voila. If you get the center of gravity right taking the top off and putting it back on is a 1 person job. Took it off Saturday.
View attachment 3016721

Do you remember the rated weight on you HB winch? Can't remember Why I bought it but have one rated at 4four hundred pounds which would think be large enough for the job.

Looks like a Racor lift which is out of stock at Amazon and Walmart online. I bought a lift that looks just like from someone. He never installed it and neither have I. How does it operated? Can't remember if mine has a long handle to operate it or use a ratchet. It still stored away in the box.

Do you remember the rated weight on you HB winch? Can't remember Why I bought it but have one rated at 4four hundred pounds which would think be large enough for the job.
Mine was the one rated for 400lb-ish. I will/should have bought the bigger one. Reason being once I add the Con-Ferr roof rack to the hardtop I could put the 4 doors in that and have all the goodies in the garage and not in the guest bedroom closet😂

I bought an electric hoist on Amazon for about $150 that’s rated to 880 lbs. Mounted it to 8 feet of unistrut on a trolley so I can pick things up and then push them fore/aft as needed. Super useful for building the 40 and will make plucking the hardtop off much easier.

Looks like a Racor lift which is out of stock at Amazon and Walmart online. I bought a lift that looks just like from someone. He never installed it and neither have I. How does it operated? Can't remember if mine has a long handle to operate it or use a ratchet.

A long handle with a bell crank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom