California Title and Registration of Diesels (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It sounds like you went through the process in 2014. The DMV/CARB have since closed the out-of-state loophole and they won't care if you title/reg in another state for 6 months, a year, or a decade prior to bringing your rig into CA. They consider any non-USDM vehicle a Direct Import, regardless of prior registration history. I managed to skate by this by the skin of my teeth in 2017, and it took 18 months.

I would strongly encourage anyone who wants to bring a JDM diesel truck into CA to just talk to someone knowledgeable at CARB (they exist, just takes some time to find them) to confirm the process. Based on a pretty intense back and forth with them (again, took 18 months) the process they follow now involves a mandatory visit to CEE in Santa Ana and a bunch of money, no exceptions.
That is good to know and have updated my post to reflect that it is outdated thanks to California's overbearing laws. But will leave the info up there as a piece of history to show how it was done back then. I am forever grateful that I imported my HJ61 when I did - when I was in my early 20's cruising around in that unique vehicle, when it was an easy and relatively carefree process to register and not have to worry about your reg being revoked if you managed to. I can even remember back to 2012 when direct imports coming right into California from Japan were slipping through and getting registered, importer minitruckdealer rings a bell. We had Hiluxes, HiAces, Nissan patrols, Blizzards...all that 80's diesel cool stuff getting brought in and registered no prob. That was the true golden era for JDM diesels in California - old enough to conform to the 25-year exemption and still easy to register legally with California plates. Then they got busted. And things seemed to slowly go to hell after that.

I started hearing the horror stories of new owners trying to get their JDM diesel registered and being rejected and having to resell it right away outside of California. People getting their JDM diesels registered in California but then getting a letter in the mail about 4 months later from the DMV/CARB saying they'd have to make it emissions compliant. It made owning my HJ61 nerve-wracking...like I'd receive the dreaded letter revoking my registration any second. I couldn't afford that as a much younger person. Hell, I couldn't afford that now by any means. I ended up trying to sell it both on ih8mud and craigslsit but nobody really seemed to want it because of the drip rail rust it had. Nobody really seemed to want it despite the (what I considered) valuable California plates. I got fed up with it and consigned it to a sorta well-known pretty-sketchy importer who fixed it up to make it more desirable to sell. I feel he kinda gave me a low ball price considering what I've seen some of the other California registered ones go for since. But oh well, at least I had a damn unique vehicle for CA for a couple of years and didn't have my registration revoked like some.

Knowing that info you provided, it and helps to quench my hopes of ever someday bringing in another one to California. Maybe when I strike the lotto I'll get a Cali plated one. For now, if I want to, I'll just register one out of state in a place like Texas. I'd rather give my money to them instead of the corrupt California government with its dumb laws and air Gestapo anyways. Thank you!

THE INFORMATION IN THIS POST IS OUTDATED AND HAS BEEN LEFT ONLY TO SHOW HOW THE IMPORT LOOPHOLE WORKED IN THE OLD DAYS. CA NOW CONSIDERS ALL IMPORTED VEHICLES DIRECT IMPORTS REGARDLESS IF THEY WERE REGISTERED IN ANOTHER STATE FIRST OR NOT.

What is throwing me off with your registration is saying that you went to a VIN verification service. I'm super happy and glad you were able to pull it off! When I registered my HJ61 in 2014 I was forced to go to the CHP in Santa Ana and have an officer do the VIN verification without option. This should be the case for everyone trying to register a JDM. Verification from a third-party verifier service "VIN verifier" was and is not a legal option for Japanese, or any imported vehicle. This is because vehicles missing a Federal Cerification Label (Safety Label) are not supposed to legally be verified by third-party verification services and are supposed to be referred to the CHP by default. Additionally, vehicles with less than a 17-digit VIN are automatically supposed to be referred to the CHP for verification by default. JDM imports are lacking both a safety label and have a less-than 17-digit VIN. This information is per some fine print on the REG 31 - Verification of Vehicle form that every DMV in California will use and require. This fine print in the form used by VIN verifiers explains it:

View attachment 2779048

I was able to get a title before the HJ61 had even arrived in California by filling out REG 343 - Application for Title or Registration. I hada title and registration from Missouri which made registration in California possible. After I got a title they gave me a hanger in my back window to drive it around for about 2 months which was nice and fun. However, I could not register it (get plates for it) until it was on California soil as I had to get a VIN verification. If I remember correctly, what made them take note of the need for a VIN verification was the fact it was an out-of-state (nonresident) vehicle. All nonresident vehicles in California get a VIN verification and it's usually a breeze because they have 17-digit VINS and smog gear, EPA labels, and smog paperwork.

When it arrived in California (from Missouri) I went back to the DMV for the VIN verification. This involved me pulling into a station at the Fullerton DMV so an employee could do a VIN inspection. When he could not find the VIN or Safety Label ...he checked some marks on a REG 31 - Verification of Vehicle form that forced me to be referred to the CHP. The DMV VIN verifier was just doing his job. The VIN verification form is crucial in the nonresident vehicle registration and is what will trip everyone up who tries to register an imported vehicle in California. Regardless if it has been registered out-of-state or not first...the fact it is missing a 17 digit VIN will always refer you to the CHP who may or may not sign off on it depending on the officers familiarity with emissions law. Registering it out-of-state gives you a nonresident title, and more importantly, out of state registration/plates to transfer. Without those, you have a "direct import" which is IMMENSELY difficult and costly to register in California. As many here know and have found out the hard way.

Since I did this in 2014, California has set in place a mandate that requires you to show proof for direct imports to show "Evidence that the vehicle meets Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California emissions standards.". However, I did not have a direct import per se as it had been titled and registered in Missouri for about 6 months prior to my ownership. Additionally, nonresident pre-1997 diesels are smog exempt in California. This is what allows one to rightfully register their Japanese imported diesel in California. The fact it is both a nonresident vehicle AND smog exempt under definition of California law allows it to be registered in California.

In my case the officer at the CHP was a bit of a motorhead, we got along, and he signed off on the VIN verification. I pointed out to the officer that I did not need a smog certificate since it was a pre-97 (it was pre-98 then) diesel. Which as I pointed out is crucial in the registration process. He was actually familiar with the out-of-state vs. direct import thing and seemed to be down with it because he liked my car. The officer checked my import docs from Land Cruisers Direct/Steve Jackson (who was great), looked for matching VINs on the body, engine, and the under-the-hood label - and I was on my way back to the Fullerton DMV with a signed-off Verification of Vehicle form. I received my registration about a month later and happily owned that HJ61 for about 3 and a half years. Boy was I nervous as I opened that letter from the DMV though!

If I were to try this now in 2021 I would:
1) make sure my car was considered an out-of-state vehicle by having it titled AND registered out of state for about 6 months before bringing it into California. You could do this without ever leaving California by having it registered through a title service and registered to an address in that same state. Texas and South Dakota for example, seems to allow vehicle registration to PO boxes from what I can gather. There are also title services in South Dakota and Texas. So win-win for you.

2) Make sure that it was a pre-97 diesel so I wouldn't have to submit smog paperwork. Remind the DMV employees and CHP officers that smog is not required for such vehicles if you have to. I would inform the officer that it is not a direct import as it had been registered in another state if needed. If required I would use the precedent that many of the grey-market diesel (and gasoline) Mercedes have been registered in California for years. And in my observance, many of the 80's grey market Mercedes have short (14 digit) VINS much like our Japanese imports, a major yet only difference being those have safety labels attached to the door with a (seemingly assigned) VIN, EPA, and in some cases CARB smog paperwork which was handled by the then-popular and established grey market importers of the 80's who were bringing those into the USA and California in droves which helps the case of registering those immensely.

3) Know the difference between titling and registering, the difference between direct imports vs. nonresident vehicles, know your DMV forms and fine print, know your rights, and don't back down to the grumpies at the DMV. A good attitude, manners, respect, and courtesy will get you far when at the DMV and dealing with CHP officers especially.

It still seems possible in 2021 to register out-of-state diesel in California according to this information compiled off of DMV VIN verification forms and title transfer documents, as well as the information on the DMV website about direct imports. Basically, I would never try to transfer in a gasoline-powered import into California because those are not smog exempt unless they are 1975 or older. I would never try to transfer a diesel into California that was newer than 1997. I would never try to directly import a diesel or gasoline powered import into California and expect to register it with plates in California unless I was willing to shill out the $10,000+ dollars to the sketchy conformance lab that seems like a racket anyways.

I hope my experience with importing a '88 HJ61 into California and this writing helps someone save themselves money and registration headaches. And to hopefully help them set DMV and CHP employees straight if need be. Have fun and enjoy your vehicles.

Here is some info on what the State of California is mandating for direct imports:

View attachment 2779104

BTW: the software on this forum is great, blessings to it for saving drafts as I accidentally clicked out 3/4 the way through typing all this! :eek:

That's some big red lettering you used to prove your point! I have since left California and don't have to worry about this any more, but I have still kept that registration because it was so hard to get ;)

@arctic714 I'm not saying you're wrong, what I will emphasize to anyone who reads this is that leaving your fate in the hands of a DMV or CHP employee is risky. If you get a cool CHP officer, like you did, you can breeze through. If not, and you get all the books thrown at you (even the ones that don't apply to you), you're powerless. I would still advocate working with a VIN verifier and get as far as you can and get your paperwork squeaky clean, from my experience it's all about the pregame and have everything ready before setting foot in the DMV. Like @arctic714 is saying and that we agree on 100% is read the laws back to front, know them and be prepared before you start this adventure, figure out what the state wants to see and go from there. What the state wants to see is paperwork and checked boxes.

Hey guys, I don't want to start another thread so I'll post this here. There is an 85 FJ60 I'm looking at. It has a diesel swap and is titled and registered as a diesel in it's current state. Can I register this in CA as a diesel? Thanks.

Best chance is transfer title from another state. Swapped diesel seems even more sketchy than titling a factory diesel though imo

What diesel engine was swapped in? In California engine replacements and swaps are the purview of the Bureau of Automotive Repair. You have to go see them before you go to the DMV.

Diesel engines prior to model year 1998 are smog-exempt in California.

As I understand it, and using the BAR Smog Check Reference Guide, I think you're good if:

1. The diesel engine that was swapped in came from a 1985 or newer model year
  2. The donor vehicle from which the diesel engine came is in the same classification as an FJ60 (light duty truck, I believe)
There is also a minor point about not putting a Federal-spec engine into a CA-spec car, but coming from out of state that doesn't seem to be a likely factor for you.

I think what you'd need to do when you want to register the truck is that you have to see a BAR referee, who will make an inspection to cover the points above, and once satisfied he will affix a BAR label on the vehicle, and with that done you should be able to register the truck in CA as a diesel. The only thing that's not clear to me from the smog rules is whether or not the diesel engine needs to have any type of emissions certification. Based on how they interpret the import laws I would think so, but nothing in the guide jumps out at me on that topic.

As onerous as a lot of this stuff is some of it at least makes a little bit of sense. In the case of engine swaps the smog requirements are generally based on the engine rather than the body/frame of the vehicle. So you can't drop a de-smogged LS-1 into a 1974 FJ40 and get around the smog check.

Having said all of that, and having read through the reference guide, I'll bring it back to the topic of the thread in terms of importing. Based on what I've read regarding engine replacements versus engine swaps, I believe that you could import a 2F powered LandCruiser from the Middle East, drop a CA-spec rebuilt 2F into it with all of the appropriate smog equipment, and you'd be able to register the vehicle in CA. 🤔

I recently bought a 94 HDJ81 and was looking at this thread and got a little confused. So I've been looking into the laws surrounding the CARB laws. Currently I'm stationed in Okinawa Japan and the military covers a one-time shipping of a motor vehicle as long as it meets the NHTSA rules. What I saw in the California DMV page seems to be vague. So it mentions that if I was stationed in another state and registered a car, then I can register it in California. That's as long as I'm a California resident. Title 13 says something a little different, but it's for tax purposes I believe. My question is, since I'm military and if I were to ship my HDJ81 to another state that allows it, then I move back to California could this bypass certain laws surrounding direct import regulations because I'm military. For all of the strict laws surrounding, damn near, everything in California I know they do a pretty good job when it comes to military. I was wondering if anybody has some insight. I plan on reaching out the CARB and DMV to find this info, but since I have some time to plan, I'd like to get ahead of the headache rather than deal with it later.

I recently bought a 94 HDJ81 and was looking at this thread and got a little confused. So I've been looking into the laws surrounding the CARB laws. Currently I'm stationed in Okinawa Japan and the military covers a one-time shipping of a motor vehicle as long as it meets the NHTSA rules. What I saw in the California DMV page seems to be vague. So it mentions that if I was stationed in another state and registered a car, then I can register it in California. That's as long as I'm a California resident. Title 13 says something a little different, but it's for tax purposes I believe. My question is, since I'm military and if I were to ship my HDJ81 to another state that allows it, then I move back to California could this bypass certain laws surrounding direct import regulations because I'm military. For all of the strict laws surrounding, damn near, everything in California I know they do a pretty good job when it comes to military. I was wondering if anybody has some insight. I plan on reaching out the CARB and DMV to find this info, but since I have some time to plan, I'd like to get ahead of the headache rather than deal with it later.
If there's an exception to the rule because you're military, I'm not aware of it. I can only tell you the rule about having it registered in another state for a period of time (mine was registered in SD for 5 years) and trying to register it in CA didn't work. It was going to work because someone from the technical dept. (don't remember the exact name but "technical" was part of it) actually called me after it was rejected and said it shouldn't have been because it had been registered in SD first and to go back to the dmv and tell them what she said and resend it and to her attention. I did that and then got another rejection letter from the manager of that dept. in Sacramento with an "updated rule" that didn't allow the old rule to apply. Whatever.

If there's an exception to the rule because you're military, I'm not aware of it. I can only tell you the rule about having it registered in another state for a period of time (mine was registered in SD for 5 years) and trying to register it in CA didn't work. It was going to work because someone from the technical dept. (don't remember the exact name but "technical" was part of it) actually called me after it was rejected and said it shouldn't have been because it had been registered in SD first and to go back to the dmv and tell them what she said and resend it and to her attention. I did that and then got another rejection letter from the manager of that dept. in Sacramento with an "updated rule" that didn't allow the old rule to apply. Whatever.
It's under the exemptions portion that specifically talks about military stationed in other states. However, it doesn't specifically say old or new cars,it just says you can register it if you were stationed in another state. I doubt that they'll let me register it in california because of how strict they are now, but if I could register it in California it would save me a headache of trying to be stationed at another state just to get it registered to move back to California. We'll see when the time comes because I still have a few years before I head back to California.
Screenshot_20220705-132318.png

Howdy everyone, long time lurker, and I joined officially specifically for this thread.

After everything I’ve read, I think my situation might be slightly unique. I’m in CA, and I have an opportunity at a 1990 VX LIMITED 80 series land cruiser with the 1HDT, but the kicker is that it’s already titled, registered, and plated here in CA and has been for quite a while. It was brought over by a gentleman in the military to San Diego 10 or more years ago, then bought by the fella I am possibly going to buy it from. With a JDM diesel that’s already in the CA system and has been for some time, is there anything I should be expecting to deal with besides just a regular title transfer?

Howdy everyone, long time lurker, and I joined officially specifically for this thread.

After everything I’ve read, I think my situation might be slightly unique. I’m in CA, and I have an opportunity at a 1990 VX LIMITED 80 series land cruiser with the 1HDT, but the kicker is that it’s already titled, registered, and plated here in CA and has been for quite a while. It was brought over by a gentleman in the military to San Diego 10 or more years ago, then bought by the fella I am possibly going to buy it from. With a JDM diesel that’s already in the CA system and has been for some time, is there anything I should be expecting to deal with besides just a regular title transfer?
You "should" not have a problem. Nothing to flag this transaction other than a normal title xfer between owners.
What others are saying about having it registered in another state prior is the way to get it through. Depending on what DMV nazi you get stuck with though. I have titled that way without issue (from Oregon) and also sold the same truck with CA plates to a Bay Area resident and they transferred without issue as well.

Having it registered out of state first no longer works as part of the DMV process includes looking for the federal emissions sticker, which a non-US market vehicle won't have. Then it is full stop unless you can get a letter from the manufacturer or you pay $10-15k to the one company the state will accept an emissions assessment/test/modification from. It doesn't matter anymore if you are a new resident or are transferring it in from elsewhere.

If it is currently CA plated and registered then I think it is just a title transfer and you'd be fine. It all hinges on whether or not a DMV inspection is required.

Having it registered out of state first no longer works as part of the DMV process includes looking for the federal emissions sticker, which a non-US market vehicle won't have. Then it is full stop unless you can get a letter from the manufacturer or you pay $10-15k to the one company the state will accept an emissions assessment/test/modification from. It doesn't matter anymore if you are a new resident or are transferring it in from elsewhere.

If it is currently CA plated and registered then I think it is just a title transfer and you'd be fine. It all hinges on whether or not a DMV inspection is required.
Can you elaborate on when no longer means a bit? I registered 2020 from Oregon and xfered title in 2021

In 2017 the DMV changed it's procedures regarding the federal emissions sticker.

Before the change, if the sticker was missing they would make an exception for new residents transferring the vehicle in from another state.

After the change they will refuse to process the registration. The only official channels to get past that roadblock are to get a letter from Toyota certifying the vehicle complies with federal requirements in place at the time of manufacture or to have the vehicle modified and tested at the one shop in the bay area that the state recognizes.

As far as I know, no one in the landcruiser community has successfully used either of those channels.

Edit: there was a cruiser recently in the classifieds that went through the $10k+ process to have a DPF installed and tested in order to get CA plates on it. it's the first one I've seen that made it through that way.

Last edited:
I am so confused..

Our 81 HJ47 RHD diesel was easily registered back in 2020..
previous owner had it imported from Australia to California, but registered in South Dakota.
was a fast process, just had to go to a weigh station because it was a pickup/ute model

Today I tried registering my 88 HJ61 RHD diesel and hit a wall... previous owner imported from Japan while he was living in British Columbia, and then registered in Washington. This time I had to do VIN verification with CHP and then find out they want me to jump through the CARB hoops. The only thing different was that I had the import papers from the first one but I don't see how that changes anything.

I am so confused..

previous owner had it imported from Australia to California, but registered in South Dakota.
was a fast process, just had to go to a weigh station because it was a pickup/ute model

Today I tried registering my 88 HJ61 RHD diesel and hit a wall... previous owner imported from Japan while he was living in British Columbia, and then registered in Washington. This time I had to do VIN verification with CHP and then find out they want me to jump through the CARB hoops. The only thing different was that I had the import papers from the first one but I don't see how that changes anything.
You should be aware that the CA title and reg on the hj47 can also be revoked at anytime. That vehicle does not meet any exemptions and should have been required to go through CARB to get a CA title. Probably nothing will happen, but your ease of registration there was a mistake on account of the DMV.

Scroll down to the non-usa or "grey market" section. This info should still be current.

I am so confused..

Sounds like DMV goofed on their current procedures. You won a sort-of-lottery of CA state incompetence.

I wonder if you have a Federal emissions sticker on your hood. That is the trigger for the CA registration hassles to kick in. No sticker = a confusing hellscape of CARB requirements. Incorrect sticker = possibility that an incompetent DMV inspector gives it a pass. There is no correct sticker as that vehicle was never sold in the states.

Yeah, you are good to go most states. Which is sensible as it is universally emissions exempt. I think CA has weaponized the bureaucracy to drive older vehicles out of commission.

The only thing different was that I had the import papers from the first one but I don't see how that changes anything.
It doesn't. They goofed on your first rig and followed their current procedures on the second.

I know of only two cruiser owners to legitimately register their imports since 2017. One got an exception from CARB after losing most possessions to wildfire. The other paid over $10k to the company in Santa Ana that has the monopoly on import certifications.

^^^I feel for ya. California is such a joke. My 60 was having a heck of a time passing smog. I was fortunate to be able to move it to Wyoming. Their Gov. HATES our rigs

Hey all,

Was looking into buying a Toyota Master Ace Surf that I saw in my area for a ski bum camper van build. However skimming through this thread has made me incredibly disappointed being in CA. I was wondering if any one had any experiences registering their diesel car in South Dakota like they do for cars they take to Baja or Tijuana? Does CHP give you hard time if you get pulled over with South Dakota plates?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom