California Title and Registration of Diesels (32 Viewers)

It’s all about what the paperwork looks like... bummer though. Did you ever get a title?
No, they gave us the plates and stickers first and then Sacramento stopped it. I then got a South Dakota title. I swear if we would have gotten the SD title first, it wouldn't have been an issue. :-( I have hope that after a couple years our attempt will fall off the record and we can try again.

Wow so you can have a CA address on an SD registration... That is interesting, but also gives me hope that a cop wouldn't question it if I got pulled over. Thanks for the info, I'll try this when I import a truck.
Mine is for sale if you are interested!
We did the registration thru the treasurer in Clay county Clay County, South Dakota - Treasurer
This is the affadavit for not living in SD but wanting to register your car there http://www.claycountysd.org/userfiles/files/Treasurer's forms/Non-resident affidavit.pdf

I am under the impression it’s 7-10 years for rejected vins to clear off CA DMV system..

No, they gave us the plates and stickers first and then Sacramento stopped it. I then got a South Dakota title. I swear if we would have gotten the SD title first, it wouldn't have been an issue. :-( I have hope that after a couple years our attempt will fall off the record and we can try again.
Oh so you tried to import direct to CA? Only clarifying for future readers.

After what I went through to get my JDM van registered in CA I thought I'd never consider going through it again...but another opportunity arose and I just might try it again. This time on a micro car. It's a scary thought!
Hello,
I am currently considering purchasing a '91 TownAce Turbo Diesel 5 speed from an importer up in Portland, OR. I live in Santa Cruz, CA. Am I totally nuts? What was your process for getting your's registered?

If they register it in Oregon first, would I still need to go through the CARB lab testing bureaucracy and red tape?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Will

Hello,
I am currently considering purchasing a '91 TownAce Turbo Diesel 5 speed from an importer up in Portland, OR. I live in Santa Cruz, CA. Am I totally nuts? What was your process for getting your's registered?

If they register it in Oregon first, would I still need to go through the CARB lab testing bureaucracy and red tape?

Cheers,

Will
Can you register it? Short answer: no. Long answer: maybe?

The only legit way to register it in CA would be to take it to that CARB certified place in Santa Ana which is really shady and probably a racket for the state. They "bring it into compliance" somehow... Nobody really knows how it works, and it costs probably as much as the van itself.

But I've seen some JDM vans in San Francisco area with CA plates, so it's possible.

Your best bet is probably to register it in South Dakota. And if a cop asks you about it... just be extra nice to them and hope your van doesn't get turned into a cube.

Can you register it? Short answer: no. Long answer: maybe?

The only legit way to register it in CA would be to take it to that CARB certified place in Santa Ana which is really shady and probably a racket for the state. They "bring it into compliance" somehow... Nobody really knows how it works, and it costs probably as much as the van itself.

But I've seen some JDM vans in San Francisco area with CA plates, so it's possible.

Your best bet is probably to register it in South Dakota. And if a cop asks you about it... just be extra nice to them and hope your van doesn't get turned into a cube.
Yikes, thanks for the summary... Seems like rolling the dice either way.

Hello,

Cheers,

Will

I just snatched up a HiAce and I'm gonna attempt to get it plated.

The process will be identical to a Land Cruiser. The only issue I see is name recognition. As I've said before it's all about the paperwork. Check the right boxes and it's simply up to someone at the DMV with manager credentials to enter a password to approve the non standard VIN and you're home free. I can see a DMV employee not recognizing the car, therefore wanting to give it more scrutiny. Have a back up plan before attempting a CA reg.

Yikes, thanks for the summary... Seems like rolling the dice either way.
Yeah, it seems luck is the most helpful thing in getting a car registered. If you haven't already, read through this thread. There's a lot of good information.

Good tips that I've gathered are that you should have it registered it another state before trying to bring it into CA, gather as much info as you can before you go to the DMV, including talking to third-party VIN verifiers, AAA if you have it, and others. Go to a small town DMV. And also, if things go south while you're actually inside of the DMV, don't be afraid to say "Thanks, have a nice day" and walk out before they block your van from being registered at all.

I make it sound a lot scarier than it actually is. It's certainly possible to get a vehicle registered, and COVID stuff at the DMVs probably has a net positive in the chances of you registering some weird van with the steering wheel on the right side...

Best of luck anyways, I hope to bring an HJ60 into this s***ty state before long...

I just snatched up a HiAce and I'm gonna attempt to get it plated.

The process will be identical to a Land Cruiser. The only issue I see is name recognition. As I've said before it's all about the paperwork. Check the right boxes and it's simply up to someone at the DMV with manager credentials to enter a password to approve the non standard VIN and you're home free. I can see a DMV employee not recognizing the car, therefore wanting to give it more scrutiny. Have a back up plan before attempting a CA reg.
I just got a quote for the ONE shop in Santa Ana, CA that magically makes these things California Compliant. The quote for the TownAce Turbo Diesel I'm looking at came in at $6,500. Looks like I'll be buying a company car under my LLC in Montana...

Hey Will,
There's some good info in this thread. I read the whole thing many times over before I pulled the trigger on my foreign diesel. Last time I looked at CARB's website it said they were not registering any foreign diesel's at that time. I think the Santa Ana route may only be working for gassers now. Out of state plates come with their own risks as technically you are only allowed to have the vehicle in state for twenty days before requiring Cali registration. I wouldn't recommend the out of state route if you'll be using it as a daily driver. However, if it's for seldom use and it's kept out of sight, your chances of having an issue go down significantly. I know a couple people have gotten lucky with the DMV but it's a big dice roll as there is really no recipe to follow for successful registration. Many of those that do walk out of the DMV with plates get them pulled back by the state 6 months later once the reg makes it to Sac. I wanted a 70 series cruiser bad enough that nothing was going to stop me. When I committed to my purchase, I accepted the fact that I may have to sell it eventually or pay major dollars for a Cali legal engine swap. If you're comfortable with the risks, they sure are fun to drive. A Montana LLC adds a layer of protection for when your CA driver license doesn't match your plates.

I just got a quote for the ONE shop in Santa Ana, CA that magically makes these things California Compliant. The quote for the TownAce Turbo Diesel I'm looking at came in at $6,500. Looks like I'll be buying a company car under my LLC in Montana...
I botched the registration of my HZJ73 years ago and went down the same rabbit hole. Got really deep. There are two companies in Ca that CARB has credentialed, one in Northern Ca, the other in LA. It's an opaque, frustrating and corrupt system, and this is coming from a closet tree hugger who believe in the concept of emissions testing!

I would be ready for the Montana LLC, but I'd try for CA reg first. Your docs need to be straight, and boxes checked in a way that makes it look like any other out of state diesel coming in. That is the key! However you get those boxes checked is your deal. You need to work with a VIN verifier, do not put it in front of a DMV employee or CHP officer. Paperwork is the only way. If it doesn't work, take it to Montana.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 31)

Top Bottom