Cajun Trip to a Winter Wonderland (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys and Gals,

Long story short. This December I’m going to be heading to PA, NYC, and VA on a 2 week road trip to meet up with some family.

I was wondering if you had any advice about things to do up there?
December 15-18th is when I should be in the area.
Coal center PA 15423
Duncansville pa 20120
My days in PA will be in coal center for a graduation on Saturday then staying a couple days in Duncansville at relatives.

I’m taking the LX 570, so unfortunately not my 80, so wheeling myself isn’t on the agenda but wondering if y’all had any rides that time and maybe an open seat!
Or even a dinner one night just chatting with cruiser enthusiasts!

Being from Louisiana, I’ve never really been in the snow and have been wanting to for years and , finally heading up north!

I know there are two clubs in PA here, but this one seemed like it had more activity so that’s why I’m posting in this one. Though unsure if it’s different areas or what.

Any input would be appreciated guys!

Hey Guys and Gals,

Being from Louisiana, I’ve never really been in the snow and have been wanting to for years and , finally heading up north!

Any input would be appreciated guys!

that time of the year, you're not likely to see snow.

Hey Guys and Gals,

Long story short. This December I’m going to be heading to PA, NYC, and VA on a 2 week road trip to meet up with some family.

I was wondering if you had any advice about things to do up there?
December 15-18th is when I should be in the area.
Coal center PA 15423
Duncansville pa 20120
My days in PA will be in coal center for a graduation on Saturday then staying a couple days in Duncansville at relatives.

I’m taking the LX 570, so unfortunately not my 80, so wheeling myself isn’t on the agenda but wondering if y’all had any rides that time and maybe an open seat!
!

I'm not too familiar with the Coal Center area in PA. But Duncansville is near Raystown lake and Rothrock State Forest which is a great area for exploring by vehicle. There is a company here that makes awesome maps Plan Your Next Adventure With Lizard Maps for both of those areas. I can't commit to anything at this point but I'll say reach out end of Nov or early Dec and we can try to coordinate a day to meetup and I could show you around. If nothing else I'll mail you the maps to these areas that you can use while you are in town. Nothing in the area(on the maps anyway) that I wouldn't take my 200 over. (more overlanding than wheeling)
Scott

that time of the year, you're not likely to see snow.
Maybe. Lots of Lake effect snow near Pittsburgh. I suggest seeing the fallingwater house and the flight 93 memorial from 9/11.

We wheel every second saturday and there are usually open seats. Unfortunately we usually are in pine grove pa or Shamokin pa.

I will also suggest Luray Caverns in VA and Watkins Glenn in NY is wine country.

Ever try to ski or snowboard Pa and NY have resorts.

Ashville in NC is a cool city full of breweries if your taking 81.

We drive like a holes too.

Thanks guys! I’ll definitely look into all this. I’ll definitely look into the places Scott.
Not nessesarily wanting to take the 200 offroad. Usualy the 80 is reserved for that. But I guess it all depends upon the area.

If nothing else a meetup would be a blast!

Maybe will be doing a ski trip on the VA portion of the trip!

Any hobbies or things in particular that you like to do?
@gearwrench might be able to point you in the right direction while in Coal Center. As mentioned, if you are close, Falling Water and Ohiopyle are neat areas.

I’m relatively close to Duncansville and pass through that area often.
Altoona is close by and Horseshoe Curve... State College (Penn State) is probably a 30 minute drive from there. Always lots to do in a college town. Bald Eagle and Rothrock State forests are relatively close if you want to get out for some hiking or exploring on some dirt. It’s going to be hit or miss when it comes to snow although the southwestern part of the state has already seen a little bit.

Taking some time along Skyline drive on your way up through would be worth it. And a lot of neat places to stop and visit while traveling through VA and WVA.

If you can give me an idea of what you like to do, I might be able to refer some areas to check out or things to do.

Skyline Drive will be a really nice drive. It does take a bit of time to go the hole way.

I guess I’m up for anything. I heard there is something about old train restoration up there? Also the coal mining is pretty cool. Love doing tours for that sorta stuff.
Never been skiing so that’s maybe something to check out.

Some dirt roads may definitely be on order. Just depends what the weather is like for me. Those state parks, that’s open to camping year round?

Doing research last night. I’m having trouble finding camping spots. In PA I’ll be at their house, but like when I do NYC for a few days. I’m not having any luck, though google searching isn’t the best.

I guess I’m up for anything. I heard there is something about old train restoration up there? Also the coal mining is pretty cool. Love doing tours for that sorta stuff.
Never been skiing so that’s maybe something to check out.

Some dirt roads may definitely be on order. Just depends what the weather is like for me. Those state parks, that’s open to camping year round?

Doing research last night. I’m having trouble finding camping spots. In PA I’ll be at their house, but like when I do NYC for a few days. I’m not having any luck, though google searching isn’t the best.
Still looking for input on camping in PA in December?

Still looking for input on camping in PA in December?
I haven't offered any because I feel this is a bad idea. Get a Cabin or tow up a camper if you must. Unless you cold weather camp a bunch its not worth the investment in gear. I liked cold weather camping when I was in scouts. There was a bad ass factor to being in a tent at -2* F Coolers keep food from freezing when you don't add ice, but its alot of work the nights are long and alot is learned with experience. Now -2 is unheard of for mid december but you could see teens and low 20's

Who is camping? wife, kids?

I would find a walk in freezer to stand in with what you plan to wear for 30 min and decide how much you want this.

Sorry for the delay, I thought it was set to send me emails if a reply was done...

So yeah, I think I've got most of the gear already, while the 0-10's aren't common, I've had a few 15 degree nights where I was rather comfortable. Have a 0 degree bag so I was about the only warm one those mornings. We've been doing it around here a few years now that I'm into the offroad stuff, and did it in the cub scouts growing up plenty.

It'll just be me, no wife and kids yet unfortunately.

The plan isn't exactly to spend all day camping, more a means to travel without doing hotels for a majority of it like I've done in the past when my father and I used to take trips. Back injury meant tents were not a option anymore like when I was a kid. so he'd get a hotel anywhere we went. (25 now btw).

So far the plan is still to be at the families in PA, Still have family in VA that I'll be at so it's still covered there. May even pop into Canada for a day in Montreal and pass through Niagara Falls on my way back, but that's purely up to the weather. (haven't used my passport after a trip fell through a few years back)

NY is the only place I'm not sure of staying situations.
I know in the south the state parks are all awesome, so that's been my idea to wake up, break camp, then make it into the city to explore a bit, then return to sleep. but not having any luck finding anything, much less open ones....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom