Cable Locker Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After my laborious labor day working on my rear locker that has never worked. I found some parts from the Titanic in the spring actuator area, dusty, rusty and seized with no hope of recovery. I am wondering if anyone has used the Downy cable conversion and what do you think of it? http://www.downeyoff-road.com/ChassisComponents/index.htm

thanks

BRKLYN1 said:
After my laborious labor day working on my rear locker that has never worked. I found some parts from the Titanic in the spring actuator area, dusty, rusty and seized with no hope of recovery. I am wondering if anyone has used the Downy cable conversion and what do you think of it? http://www.downeyoff-road.com/ChassisComponents/index.htm

thanks

I would really like some input on this as well. FWIW you can clean, grease and get these lockers to work but, parts are either non existent or very expensive. actually had a bearing go bad on me and had to look all day for a close match at a bearing specialty shop.....

the price isnt even listed on thier site... hmmmm

It is now around $175ish for that cable...on perpetual backorder.

According to others, it doens't seal well, and you'll have to do some mods to get it to not corrode/rust apart.

I think landtoy80 has one that he modded to make work correctly.

NW-sickboy said:
I would really like some input on this as well. FWIW you can clean, grease and get these lockers to work but, parts are either non existent or very expensive. actually had a bearing go bad on me and had to look all day for a close match at a bearing specialty shop.....

the price isnt even listed on thier site... hmmmm

my bearings are ok and I freed up the actuator bar. but the part that the worm gear spins that pulls the actuator was caked with rust. I cant get it free :crybaby:

BRKLYN1 said:
my bearings are ok and I freed up the actuator bar. but the part that the worm gear spins that pulls the actuator was caked with rust. I cant get it free :crybaby:

be carefull as i have heard of the worm gear cracking..... of course its not an orderable part from toyota......

your pretty much a badd ass.... its a 50 buck fix if i already had compressed air.. wich i want anyways.... thanks for the link and great write.. will look futher into that route.....

cheers

FYI, a small canister of CO2 can provide plenty of pressure with no air system...could be a neat setup :)

For the air compressor, I purchased a 6.98$ air compressor at Canadian Tire and it works just fine. I paid 16$ for the cylinder (9$ + 7$ S&H) and 17$ for the solenoid valve (10$ + 7$) plus compressor (7$) and hoses and fittings (10$). That is why i wrote that cost me about 50$. Everything was purchased on Ebay. What does Badd Ass means? I am french and do not know all those little things? If you insulted me, i want to know.

Claude S said:
What does Badd Ass means? I am french and do not know all those little things? If you insulted me, i want to know.

Claude--

"Bad Ass" or derivations thereof usually connotate that you are intense, that you are a cool dude, that indeed your solving of the problem is ingenius.

You'll get/understand pretty quickly when someone is insulting you here on MUD--it usually occurs in the Chat section and less so in the tech areas where we are dealing with information that is useful for others.

:cheers:

Onur,
Way to apply your degree. :idea:

On a side note Claude's idea would also lend itself to developing a cable operated with a few more $$ invested. Air is certainly the most inexpensive if you have it.

does any one have a spare non working locker for parts to measure I think I can make a cable locker sooner and hopefully better than this Downy unubtanium device. but even a broken or seized locker would be helpfull for measurments. If I sucseed I will make one for the doner.

Does anyone have an actuator for the rear locker in good condition that they would like to sell me? I shattered the housing on mine.

I also have a new in the box downey cable conversion kit that I'll sell once I get my locker working again. I would definitely do the mods on it that landtoy80 did if I were to install it.

BRKLYN1 said:
does any one have a spare non working locker for parts to measure I think I can make a cable locker sooner and hopefully better than this Downy unubtanium device. but even a broken or seized locker would be helpfull for measurments. If I sucseed I will make one for the doner.

The downey cable has the handle extended in the unlocked position, and to lock it, you have to push it in. Toyota design is opposite. I never saw one work until I saw the dvd by the cruiser documentar guy. Peter Straub showed how his cable lock levers worked inside his cab. To do that, you might want to get with Control Cable Inc. for cable design. Toyota design has levers and brackets on the pumpkin that reverse the pull effort. When you pull on the lever, it pushes the rod attached to the shift shaft. You need a spring load on it to keep tension pushing until it locks. Good luck.
cable_locker_02.jpg
cable_locker.jpg

Last edited:
beno said:
Claude--

"Bad Ass" or derivations thereof usually connotate that you are intense, that you are a cool dude, that indeed your solving of the problem is ingenius.

You'll get/understand pretty quickly when someone is insulting you here on MUD--it usually occurs in the Chat section and less so in the tech areas where we are dealing with information that is useful for others.

:cheers:

thanks for the translation..

BTW i am pissed you didnt make it to the badlands for the MUD gathering.... would have been fun to wheel and chill with the BENO

NW-sickboy said:
BTW i am pissed you didnt make it to the badlands for the MUD gathering.... would have been fun to wheel and chill with the BENO

Sorry I couldn't make it--it was a "perfect storm" for me here on my end.

But I will be there for Toys For Tots in December....we can hang then!

Cheers.
-o-
Oberlin, OH

Cable Locking

Back to my roots here on mechanical lockers... Audi again. In 1980 with the introduction of the original quattro, it's mechanical lockers (center and rear) were cable activated by a couple levers next to the ebrake between the seats. Shortly thereafter, audi went to vacuum actuation of lockers thru 1994. In my 1984 turbo quattro coupe with the 'later style' vacuum cable lockers, there was a bouden cable from the center diff to the rear axle, where the vacuum actuator was located. I since removed that cable (NLA) and installed a direct vacuum actuator mounted to the trans.

I like the 'idea'of cable lockers, if it's desgned correctly. A couple issues come into play with dog clutches (in my 20 years of playing with them). First is, to do a cable install, you need to make sure you have a good detent for full (dis)engagment, or you can really mess up the dog gears (BTrepairedT). For cable application, ebrake cables are some of the best and cheapest you will find.

IIRC the diff lock lights on the 80 work the same as the audis, it doesn't matter what switch position is, until the diff is physically unlocked, the light stays on. That's good. My concern with cables (and air pressure too for that matter) is the need for detent and or re-hit to keep the dog on/off the gear. The main advantages to vacuum switch activation or worm gear electric.

I have also tried using door lock type solenoids to activate locking diffs and have the same problem, it's not a once and done. You need something to keep it plunged.

Something to think about as you try to improve the factory choice.

HTH

Scott Justusson
QSHIPQ Performance Tuning
Chicago

IIRC, didn't the LJ70's have cable lockers as standard from the factory?

Could that assy. be transplanted into an 80 (of course with modifications)?

I am thinking that I will have a two cable or looped cable that will pull the locker in and pull the locker out. the spring will be backup to the lever having a lock on it. but I still need to borrow a locker for measurements as I dont have a garage to keep my 80 in while I work on this. I will likly CNC most of the parts in my mill, making it posible to become a product?

beno said:
IIRC, didn't the LJ70's have cable lockers as standard from the factory?

Could that assy. be transplanted into an 80 (of course with modifications)?

Yes, if you can find that assembly...its $$$$ too. more thanthe cost of the lockers easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom