CA Smog Success pass on first time. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

45acp

SILVER Star
Threads
I am happy to report that my 85 cruiser passed smog this years smog the first time around. I finally had time to take it to the tech, its been overdue for a few months. The first shop said they could not do it because "their evap machine was in needed calibration" and that maybe the "insert your favorite ethnic group here" would do it. So I went to the other ethnic shop and the gentleman took it in without any gripe or complaint.

The cruiser passed with the numbers below. Had a hard time passing the evap test but the tech tried it a couple of times and it passed. He thought it was an issue with the neck.

So, for those fighting the California smog demons, it can be done. Get your Toyota emissions manual, research this board ( there is a wealth of information and great people willing to help you), chase vacuum leaks. I had a very persistent vacuum leak that I found with the help of a homemade smoke machine. It was leaking from the carburetor to air filter gasket ring.

fj60 smog 2020.jpg

Congratulations! Id like to know about your home-made smoke machine.

The EVAP test was always iffy for me. There was a tiny vapor leak somewhere- but I couldn't find it. The EVAP test can be fudged to pass if the tech is on your side. I think it's important to pick a smog shop and always use it for as long as you own the cruiser. That way the tech gets to know you, remembers the car (and maybe any issues if you jog his memory) and eventually trusts you. They're always looking over their shoulders for CARB spies, so loyalty counts when smogging one of these things.
My cruiser never failed in 32 years, but I was always nervous about the test.

Don't use Baby Oil in a smoke machine -- Use USP Mineral Oil

The EVAP test was always iffy for me. There was a tiny vapor leak somewhere- but I couldn't find it. The EVAP test can be fudged to pass if the tech is on your side. I think it's important to pick a smog shop and always use it for as long as you own the cruiser. That way the tech gets to know you, remembers the car (and maybe any issues if you jog his memory) and eventually trusts you. They're always looking over their shoulders for CARB spies, so loyalty counts when smogging one of these things.
My cruiser never failed in 32 years, but I was always nervous about the test.

So true... you should see the raving Yelp review I gave my smog shop. Trying to make them my best friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom