CA Smog Check Recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

Recently moved from Oklahoma to California for the foreseeable future (not by choice so please don’t say “wHy DoNt YoU mOvE?”) and in a few months I will be doing some smog testing on my FZJ80. It’s a ‘95 - cat has been replaced, so that may be something that an a**hole will throw me into a “no win” for, as well as a few other things that may draw attention. I will be doing a precheck in order to flush out those issues and avoid being labeled a gross polluter. Anyone have a preferred smog test/check station around LA (I live near San Bernardino) that does a good job? Distance isn’t much of an issue, so anywhere is okay. Looking for a good quality place that won’t try to bend me over, as I know that is a huge source of income for smog checks. I’ve heard too many horror stories of late trying to research places. Looking for anyone around here who has been in the same boat of looking for a quality place. Also curious as to whether I should consider a STAR certified shop. Thanks in advance!

Fick

Last edited:
Having a non-OEM or an aftermarket cat not approved by CA may be an issue because this is something that the techs are supposed to check. You might need to go to a DMV referee to get the title and license transfer approved because I believe that the CA law can’t prevent you from importing a truck with a non-approved cat as long as you had it replaced out of state while you were a resident of that state.
Worst case you might need an approved cat.
If your CEL is not on and you don’t have any stored codes, you should be fine Or at least close to passing without major issues. You might buy a new gas cap as old ones sometimes fail the pressure test.

Having a non-OEM or an aftermarket cat not approved by CA may be an issue because this is something that the techs are supposed to check. You might need to go to a DMV referee to get the title and license transfer approved because I believe that the CA law can’t prevent you from importing a truck with a non-approved cat as long as you had it replaced out of state while you were a resident of that state.
Worst case you might need an approved cat.
If your CEL is not on and you don’t have any stored codes, you should be fine Or at least close to passing without major issues. You might buy a new gas cap as old ones sometimes fail the pressure test.
Thanks for the response!

i know the cat and probably gas cap will likely give me issues. I have a intermittent fuel trim malfunction code that crops up every 1000 miles or so, but my O2 values seem in spec, and I reset it every time after I confirm the code. I mainly just wanted to get a baseline pre-check to see what issues I may run into. Would you say that’s a good idea to baseline it first, or try and get it titled in state before going down that rabbit hole? My OK reg is good until next February so I’m not in a hurry to renew registration in CA.

Due to a change in smog regulations, a gas cap on a 1995 should not be a cause for smog check failure. The cat may be an issue but only if the exhaust particle limits are not in spec. I am sending you a PM to discuss further and provide a recommendation.

Please verify for current legal requirements but in the past you were required to re-register your vehicle in California within a short period of time (<30 days) after moving into the state. Your drivers license even shorter time frame. The expiration dates from another state has no bearing. There is a good chance you could be fined or have more hoops to jump though to complete the process if you exceed the time periods.

I've lived in CA my entire life and have always had older 4x4s. I believe the only time I failed was when they verified the replacement cat was not CA legal on a truck I had just purchased.

I've probably used 20+ smog places through the years, never felt like they tried to bend me over or pull any fast ones. Just go to your local place and ask them to check the cat for you. They'll probably just do it for free. Many places will only charge you if you "pass" as well.

Lastly, the 80s being all wheel drive... they can't actually run it on the dyno so the tests are just at no load... which makes it much easier to pass.

Thanks for the response!

i know the cat and probably gas cap will likely give me issues. I have a intermittent fuel trim malfunction code that crops up every 1000 miles or so, but my O2 values seem in spec, and I reset it every time after I confirm the code. I mainly just wanted to get a baseline pre-check to see what issues I may run into. Would you say that’s a good idea to baseline it first, or try and get it titled in state before going down that rabbit hole? My OK reg is good until next February so I’m not in a hurry to renew registration in CA.

I believe the cat would be acceptable because previous registration shows you owned it in another state. You can ask a smog referee.

If your CAT is CA legal it should have a CARB Number stamped on it or on an ID plate. If not it's probably not approved.

There used to be places that would do a pre inspection, no official test, to tell you what is wrong and if you pass or not. They did not report to DMV on that to give you a chance to repair without being labeled gross polluter. It's been 15 years since I lived in CA though so not sure they do that anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom