Buzzing speakers.....dead Stereo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Usually around the house, sometimes in a tree or a
Last year my wife suprised me for my birthday and had the old Toyota deck replaced with a Apline and new speakers in the doors. I love it. About a month ago I'm driving down the road and it just goes dead. Ok. Finally get it back to the shop and they replace the fuse and all is good until last week, same thing just quite. Now after each time it went dead I have had a buzzing in the speakers that changes with the speed of the engines rpm's. So the more r's its turning the higher the pitch of the buzzing. So I tok it back in today and they put the deck on the bench and tested. Deck tests fine on the bench and works great. Soon as they put it in the truck it quits. so they left it out of the dash and left me to figure out whats going on which is fine since I didn't get a bill. Anyone have any thoughts on were to start? I have the Antenna out and I took out the sub in the back, those are the only audio related items I have touched myself. Thanks in advance

Noise that goes up and down with RPM's is often a grounding issue, and can also be a weak antenna connection. You'll hear it a lot with crappy CB's as well.. do you have any antenna installed? Or have you tried turning on the stereo w/o antenna just to rule that out?

As for cutting out altogether, that can happen when installing aftermarket speakers, if your speaker wires touch the metal of the door it will short the whole thing out. Have you messed with the speakers at all? two wild guesses, hth..

buzzing

Last year my wife suprised me for my birthday and had the old Toyota deck replaced with a Apline and new speakers in the doors. I love it. About a month ago I'm driving down the road and it just goes dead. Ok. Finally get it back to the shop and they replace the fuse and all is good until last week, same thing just quite. Now after each time it went dead I have had a buzzing in the speakers that changes with the speed of the engines rpm's. So the more r's its turning the higher the pitch of the buzzing. So I tok it back in today and they put the deck on the bench and tested. Deck tests fine on the bench and works great. Soon as they put it in the truck it quits. so they left it out of the dash and left me to figure out whats going on which is fine since I didn't get a bill. Anyone have any thoughts on were to start? I have the Antenna out and I took out the sub in the back, those are the only audio related items I have touched myself. Thanks in advance

i had the same problem the last 2 weeks, just re did my sounds system with new speakers. the problem that i found was 2 things......by the way since doing this i havent had a problem. 1...when they installed my deck it turns out they didnt hook it up to the stock amp so i dont know how it was running....thats what the 2nd installer said plus when hooking up the harness to the deck they kinda tugged on the wires a bit to get them into place etc...so it might of stretched kinked etc..

2....my dash speakers, my factory sub and rear compartment speakers were shot and when i replaced them i ran the new dash speakers off the deck then ran the four doors off an amp and diconnected the rest...i personally think the stock wiring cant handle the pwer IMHO.....and if u take it to a shop make sure they run new wiring if there running it off the factory amp or new deck. and run no more than the dash and maybe another set of speakers but everthing else should be run properly of a aftermarket amp.

and most importantly, do what u can urself...i'm not mechanically inclined but i am electronically, i installed everything but the deck...and if i had to to it again i'd give the deck a go

good luck, let me how it goes

I have been chasing the same problem for a year now. So has LandSpeeder, he just posted about it a wk ago. I have also narrowed it down to the right rear qp, or the antenna. Mine only happens when starting it up when its been raining.

1)Loose wires in the qp
2)Antenna shorting out

I don't always have the static, only when I listen to ball games on AM.

Most likely it's a ground issue. I grounded my stereo on the dash frame. I'll try to use the factory ground point and see if that makes a difference.

I have been chasing the same problem for a year now. So has LandSpeeder, he just posted about it a wk ago. I have also narrowed it down to the right rear qp, or the antenna. Mine only happens when starting it up when its been raining.

1)Loose wires in the qp
2)Antenna shorting out

Both times I've had it ahppen is when its been raining. This morning now I have no buzzing. Deck is still laying unplugged on the front seat. my plan has been to install a after market fixed antenna. So Maybe I should install a new antenna wire. I guess I could pop open the back too and make sure that looks ok. If anybody else has any thoughts please chime in.

Ok I think I found the trouble. When I disconnected the sub and speaker in the back I just left it fall into the fender well. Turns out the window leaks b/c the well had a puddle of water in the bottom and the connectors were laying in it. This make sense as the porblem only seemed to happen after heavy rain storms. So the connector is tied up out of the water, the window has been fixed. Hopefully the problem is gone and I won't be riding is silence or buzzing anymore. Thanks to those for pointing me in a few directions. :cheers:

How did you fix the window? My drivers side sliding window leaks and ends up with a puddle in the jack holster. Any tips would be great.
I wonder how much it would cost to get the solid rear glass installed like a JDM...

Always the rear quarter where the sub was....
first make sure you lift the connectors up and out of the way.
Also to fix the leaking.... buy a new gasket since yours has shrunk like everyone elses, or open up your quarter and caulk up the holes (there's a write up somewhere). Caulking didn't work for me so I pulled the plugs to my quarters to just let the water run out.... comes in and goes out.
The stereo, dome lights, and clock are all on the same 10Amp fuse, it happened to me last week in route to the Cruiser Crawl and it was raining... let it dry and viola!

Bump

Anyone solve this problem yet? Maybe I missed it.

I still cannot figure how when I go the carwash it never makes the fuse blow. Only when is rains.:confused:

Updates???

Water never enters my wagon in the car wash.... at least when it used to fit in the car washes....
I've thought about this before and I can only come up with the fact that in rain, water soaks your wagon for a long time.

After a rain, my windows get fogged from the inside while parked. This never happened in a car wash. i say parked because when driving, I'll run the AC to dry the air inside to de-fog the windows.

why is the antenna in the right rear qp? isn't it in the front fender? or is stupid me missing something?

i just had this same problem after my 80 sat in the ran last night... going to dig around right now to see if can fix it or not. i don't like silence while driving!

1)Loose wires in the qp
2)Antenna shorting out

Last edited:
Ok, n/m. I see that there's the box on the right rear quarter-panel. I checked that side and mine was dry.

My left rear quarter-panel on the hand had some moisture. Pulled it apart and there was water in the bottle jack tray. Dried that up and checked all the wires there and everything seemed fine. And the radio started working again... weird. Didn't really do anything.

Does anyone know what wires are in that area (left rear quarter-panel)? Wondering why those wires would effect my stereo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom