Buying/Selling - what year, how much, etc. - ask for opinions here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Posted this in the wrong place... Should I buy?

ZSaRrPvi4zsib2EDU0vCccLd3WMKCRSbi4w2yg60xbCgnG1OEUCKFmjc71Um1SWogiFvE1IzvkWE819E9uZV7Hng73gZl3zvUHEIdOURabkSE7Tou98oLGwVq_ZiJ2JOojxNGUaxhzr2w0eC0VrqqldMgxgf4a8hUpAIJ6PlCTmlYlPjYRxKGbPpz6xYDlhXAYXBq3Z_YTNPOXQxs3kWEF8uihuUduBdnT8EXzSCDrsmS2LvnIvhNl-XhjnmdndO6XXaCK1CSUqdLfPu2lxhJFXwXkqOsSRbPV1O-qpv7nZpxy31vE-cLDXdjc8dmbPiwdW_Fw93stYYhqwTZ9VdeqADvAK8-3CC6uqCcuE4-bYQmEJtmXSVN_gFBod-JjfoOFSgMkHAo1dJgb1XEFg-VSlblQuSoORTXYm7Ppx-qYt71RLOtyWlsW_RO-wJIk-zgQ39u56tjKGAL6NOnp868uKGfS_8pHEiKNhPuspnQ5in6SfP7QZ-BJLKgEF3_IIsc9-Cz8RcBWpBNgi0yBL8gOoXto1fybGLcnftdcDf8z2zCYx_9U8DwqLUiSoOX8YetYybQBtuCs_ihA7iKWYDWsz2H4FBoq5w56Wxi5ZhyAkrOy5I=w1224-h918-no

@Trunkmonkey

This is a helpful thread- but it's often buried. Why not make this permanent sticky with the photo,video, FAQ, new members - it would save countless individual thread posts since noobs don't know to post up here.

Unless they made me an admin on accident, I don't think I can help you out dude!

Unless they made me an admin on accident, I don't think I can help you out dude!
Oops- assumed as the Mod for the 100 forum- you were the Man-sorry

Maybe you could forward the suggestion to the "admin" in charge of the suggestion box. Cheers.

Well the 03 I went to buy today was in pretty rough shape. Needed timing belt, water pump, wheel bearings (audible roar), and the brakes squealed although front and rear have been replaced in past 2 years. Frame looked pretty good but had some mild rust from living in Asheville for a few years. Interior in the front was pretty beat. Front bumper had been replaced as well as left front fender from an accident prior to the seller's ownership. Seller seems like an honest dude; he has owned it for 8 years. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement; I was ready to buy, but it was just rough. I initially offered 10k, which I think the seller was going to take, but then I decided to pass altogether. Am I crazy for passing at 10k? It looks much better in the ad than it does in person.

Toyota Landcruiser, excellent, loaded

I can't believe how difficult it is to find a good truck. I should never have sold my 2000!

Last edited:
I can't believe how difficult it is to find a good truck. I should never have sold my 2000!

I can :)
I looked for about a year before landing my LX470.
I found that nice ones are quickly gobbled up. Lot of folks looking for them.

I don't remember it being this difficult to find a decent truck a couple of years ago. My theory is that because production volume for the 200 is so low due to the price, and those trucks still hovering at 30k for even 8 year old examples, lots of people (myself included) who thought they would be picking up 200s at this point, are finding themselves recycling to lower mileage 100s. As crazy as it seems to spend 15k for a 12 or 13 year old 100, it seems even crazier to spend 30k on a 100k mile, 8 year old 200. When I bought my 2000 in 08, I paid 15k and it only had 100k miles. And it was a mint, 1 owner truck. An equivalent in age and mileage 200 would cost at least twice that now.

100 Series Sweet Spot?

So I have read allot here and given the age of these trucks now you can pick them up anywhere from below $5K to around $25K with varying features. With such a large range of years, features and millage is there a sweet spot?

Now you will probably say that this sweet spot depends on what you’re going to use it for – for me the miles will be kept low as it will be a third car used for camping trips and maybe more. Will look to add on over time OME lift, front/rear bumpers.

Now money is not so much a factor – but value is – so I am not going to spend $20K on a truck when I can get just as much relative utility/value from a $10K truck

I see the following grouping of vehicles by age:

Group Y1) ’06-’07 (2UZ-FE Engine)
Group Y2) ’03-’05 (5 Speed /235BHP)
Group Y3) ’00-’02 (VSC/A-TRAC/EBD)
Group Y4) ’98 -99 (rear lockers)

I see the following grouping of vehicles by millage:

Group M1) <100K (pay premium but long life ahead)
Group M2) 100K – 140K (still plenty of life left but doesn’t carry the premium of Group M1)
Group M3) 140K – 190K (getting up there – not bad if you’re keeping the miles low)
Group M4) 190K – 230K (200K+ is scary but still a very usable truck)
Group M5) 230K – 300K (not end of life but you are up there)

So Y1/M1 will cost you say $25K and Y4/M5 will cost around $5K

Also my thoughts on if you’re going to spend $6-7K in add on’s don’t build them on a $5K truck but at the same time you will have a rig for $11K is the mid-point the sweet spot 2003-5 with 140K miles?

Too much analysis? :)

I think your analysis is spot on. I think an 03-05 in the 150k range is the way to go. The problem is finding a good one.

Group M1) <100K (pay premium but long life ahead)
Group M2) 100K – 140K (still plenty of life left but doesn’t carry the premium of Group M1)
Group M3) 140K – 190K (getting up there – not bad if you’re keeping the miles low)
Group M4) 190K – 230K (200K+ is scary but still a very usable truck)
Group M5) 230K – 300K (not end of life but you are up there)

So Y1/M1 will cost you say $25K and Y4/M5 will cost around $5K

Also my thoughts on if you’re going to spend $6-7K in add on’s don’t build them on a $5K truck but at the same time you will have a rig for $11K is the mid-point the sweet spot 2003-5 with 140K miles?

Too much analysis:)?

Nope. This is similar to what we thought when we bought our LC last year. M1 price is getting close to early 200 series. Our thought was if it is a few grand more, we should get 200 series. Not that I like how it look personally, but this is wife's dd, and arguably 200 series is safer.

We ended up with M4 vehicle. We looked at the best value we can get for our money between M2-M5, and at that time, this LC was it. We are happy that we ended up with LC that cost lower than our budget because we still have money left over to cover any problems as they arise.

Ours currently has 214K. Drives great. We love it. We will average 10K/yr. While I am very sure it will hit 300K easily with regular maintenance, I will admit that in the next few year we will look at prices for M1 or early 200 series. If we have a good opportunity to upgrade, we will pull the trigger - still have cash left over from buying the LC last yr.

@Trunkmonkey

This is a helpful thread- but it's often buried. Why not make this permanent sticky with the photo,video, FAQ, new members - it would save countless individual thread posts since noobs don't know to post up here.

It was a stickie for awhile but the interweb happened.

- peeps complained classifieds were in tech
- peeps complained that they couldn't tell who was replying to who and if someone was responding to their post (despite the "@" tagging)
- peeps complained there were too many stickies and they had to scroll a long way to get to the first thread

At one point every "what is this worth?" thread got deleted and the poster told to check values in the classifieds or post up there. But then the for sale section got diluted with questions instead of vehicles for sale. This question or complaint comes up a few times a year, have yet to find a good solution that invites new members to feel welcome and have a place to get their purchasing questions answered, yet doesn't dilute good tech info.

Fair enough TM- thanks for explaining.

Fwiw, Sticky would solve most of it. If it's a space / line item issue in sticky-the photo & video could be combined in one header and split into two sub forums.

Anyway, I'm sure we can occasionally bump it to the top as it rolls off the page. :grinpimp:

Hey guys- I was hoping to get some thoughts. I may be needing to sell my LX in the next few weeks and was hoping to get opinions on asking price.
Heres the rundown:
2000 LX470 with approx 170k miles.
Its been my daily driver the past year and I have put about 20k miles on it. In that time I have replaced all tires, brake pads, and rotors. Otherwise just done your typical maintenance.
Previous owner stated he replaced the TB/WP at 130k miles, though he had no documentation so dont know if thats worth mentioning.
Exterior looks good with only a few minor blemishes. Interior has no rips or major issues, but the leather is worn and has some cracks.
Wheels are 20" wheels put on by PO. They are tasteful and look like newer lx model wheels. Not sure if this is a good or bad addition.
Has an aftermarket head unit with nav, bluetooth, rear view camera. Its not an expensive unit, but works well. No major rust issues underneath.

I will obviously post pics when Im ready to sell, but just wanted a ballpark idea of pricing. I was hoping for 9ish. Also- I live in the DC area if location makes a big difference.

service history? pics of underside? spend all its time in NE? 7k. the wheels will prob hurt you. Hard to tell without pics

Have what I would call spotty service history. I have records from what I did. I am the 4th owner. Good records from lexus from 2 of the 3 other owners. Missing records for about 35k miles of its life. Spent all its life in DC/NOVA area.

Wait a month and you'll pull more $$- closer to cold weather the better. With under 200k miles I think $9995 will sell it quickly. As long as the underside isn't too rotten and mechanicals are in good order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom