Buying advice 2005 LC100 (picture heavy) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am looking at buying a 2005 Land Cruiser 100 that is just below 150 000 miles. All service done at Toyota. Since I am unable to inspect the vehicle on site the dealer agreed to film a few clips. The dealer filmed a 5-minute-long clip of the frame, body and engine bay to show the amount of rust. To avoid boring you to death I took a few stills from the clips and hope for your assessment.

The fuel tank skid plate is said to be the worst part when it comes to rust.

Dealer said he was planning on keeping this car for his own private use but managed to buy a Tundra instead. He has owned several LC 100 and he seems to know what he is talking about.

If anyone would like to watch the clips in total here are the links.

Part 1, frame (5 min, 3 s): https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlgtjEyBl-XLkpNqxd75xgN2H4SsIw?e=2nGn6q

Part 2, body (3 min, 48 s): https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlgtjEyBl-XLkpNp8bbzbMN0M4BKvg?e=5VEXqw

Part 3, engine (48 s): https://1drv.ms/v/s!AlgtjEyBl-XLkpNo4vtQpTE6JxsxFA?e=KPVFde

The dealer is not speaking English but what he says is basically that most of it looks good 😊

AHC part.png

Engine bay.png

Exhaust.png

Front right S 2.png

Front right S.png

The videos aren’t working for me. How much is it going for? Either way, based on your description and pictures I’d pass.

from those pictures, the rust doenst look too bad. Just make sure you get on top o fit with fluid film once you take ownership

Asking price is approx. $19 500.

Why pass??? Compared to other LC100 I have seen on this forum I think it looks quite good. The fuel tank protector looks bad and maybe the exhaust but that can be replaced (although not cheap). The entire undercarriage got an extra, thick layer of protection when it was new. Unfortunately, we use a lot of salt on the roads in my country during winter.

The Land Cruiser 100-series is very unusual in my country, only a handful are up for sale every year. The LX470 was never sold here so that is not an option.

Is it worth getting professional help to remove the rust or should I just apply fluid film at least once a year?

Fuel tank.png

Left rear tire.png

Rear diff.png

Top tail gate left.png

Top tail gate right.png

Rust is subjective here. Take it or leave it. If you feel comfortable buy it. What advice are you looking for?

Don’t buy a vehicle without looking at it and driving it first.

Don’t trust car dealerships.

Don’t buy a rusty Land Cruiser.

Buying a Land Cruiser isn’t like losing your virginity or marrying someone. You have search and wait for the right one.

Edit: where are you exactly? Sweden? If so, buy the ****er

Rust is subjective here. Take it or leave it. If you feel comfortable buy it. What advice are you looking for?

Don’t buy a vehicle without looking at it and driving it first.

Don’t trust car dealerships.

Don’t buy a rusty Land Cruiser.

Buying a Land Cruiser isn’t like losing your virginity or marrying someone. You have search and wait for the right one.

Edit: where are you exactly? Sweden? If so, buy the f***er
Yes, Sweden.

Unfortunately, there are no non-rusty Land Cruisers over here. Some of them are still selling for, in my opinion, ridiculous prices. Another dealer is asking $31 000 for a 1999 cruiser with close to 240 000 miles.

I am visiting the dealer on Monday for a test drive and inspection.

Yes, Sweden.

Unfortunately, there are no non-rusty Land Cruisers over here. Some of them are still selling for, in my opinion, ridiculous prices. Another dealer is asking $31 000 for a 1999 cruiser with close to 240 000 miles.

I am visiting the dealer on Monday for a test drive and inspection.
I agree with your opinion. Those prices are ridiculous. Where is this LC you’re going to look at? It doesn’t look that bad especially if you’re without much options.

I agree with your opinion. Those prices are ridiculous. Where is this LC you’re going to look at? It doesn’t look that bad especially if you’re without much options.
The dealer is just outside Stockholm so it is a 3.5 hour one-way ride for me to have a look at it in person.

Options are very scarce to say the least. I could go on looking but it could take years to find a new, similar object - YOLO ;) Finding a rust free object will never happen.

It has just been through the MOT test without problems. The service record is great with timing belt etc done at Toyota. The AHC is working great.

The dealer is just outside Stockholm so it is a 3.5 hour one-way ride for me to have a look at it in person.

Options are very scarce to say the least. I could go on looking but it could take years to find a new, similar object - YOLO ;) Finding a rust free object will never happen.

It has just been through the MOT test without problems. The service record is great with timing belt etc done at Toyota. The AHC is working great.
SNAG IT! I’m excited for you. Please report back after you determine what you’re going to do. I hope you get it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom