Buying a 2005 GX 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am buying a 2005 Lexus Gx 470 with 45k miles. The recent owner provided maintenance records and hasn’t been using the suv frequently. Do you think that this is bad to buy because of the infrequent use of the vehicle? Thank you.

i dont think the mileage is that low..... if a family has multiple vehicles and no long commutes i can see the miles staying low........and it for sure isnt worn out......if it was well maintained and the price is right i would buy it and be happy.

for example i have a 2016 SS camaro that only has 13K miles from new. i drive it on nice weekends and 2 or 3 track days per year but it still gets a yearly trans /diff gear oil change along with oil change and fresh brake fluid after every track day so i would say it was well taken care of regardless of miles.... the key is i also have 3 other tagged vehicles and two motorcycles so my yearly mileage gets split up just as the sellers might have..... btw what are they asking for it ?

Last edited:
i dont think the mileage is that low..... if a family has multiple vehicles and no long commutes i can see the miles staying low........and it for sure isnt worn out......if it was well maintained and the price is right i would buy it and be happy.

for example i have a 2016 SS camaro that only has 13K miles from new. i drive it on nice weekends and 2 or 3 track days per year but it still gets a yearly trans /diff gear oil change along with oil change and fresh brake fluid after every track day so i would say it was well taken care of regardless of miles.... the key is i also have 3 other tagged vehicles and two motorcycles so my yearly mileage gets split up just as the sellers might have..... btw what are they asking for it ?

18000 and looks clean

Why would low miles be bad?

I have shirts in my closet that I've owned for years but only worn a few times. There's nothing wrong with them. I have a 99' BMW M3 with 104k miles and an 06' GX with 188k. Both are fine.

Ultimately, get a prepurchase inspection and if the car has a clean bill of health and you like it, buy it. 45k miles is low. I cant see any down side to that.

If the previous owner drove across country weekly in 05' and racked up 45k miles in a year and the car has sat on the street not being used for 14 years, that would create problems, but an inspection will find them and give you the info you need to make a good decision.

I have shirts in my closet that I've owned for years but only worn a few times. There's nothing wrong with them. I have a 99' BMW M3 with 104k miles and an 06' GX with 188k. Both are fine.

Ultimately, get a prepurchase inspection and if the car has a clean bill of health and you like it, buy it. 45k miles is low. I cant see any down side to that.

If the previous owner drove across country weekly in 05' and racked up 45k miles in a year and the car has sat on the street not being used for 14 years, that would create problems, but an inspection will find them and give you the info you need to make a good decision.

is timing belt need to be replace at this time or wait for 90000 miles
thanks

I wouldn't want to answer about the timing belt without looking at it. If the rubber is still supple and not dry/brittle, I think it would be fine until the specified miles.

If all the plastic engine guards are dry and brittle that would suggest exposure to the elements and heat and indicate the belt might need servicing sooner.

For $18k I would want the belt done. If the car was $14k or $15k, I'd shrug and accept that I'm getting a clean platform that needs some maintenance. $18k really is a lot fot an 05' even factoring the miles.

Any flexibility in their price?

I wouldn't want to answer about the timing belt without looking at it. If the rubber is still supple and not dry/brittle, I think it would be fine until the specified miles.

If all the plastic engine guards are dry and brittle that would suggest exposure to the elements and heat and indicate the belt might need servicing sooner.

For $18k I would want the belt done. If the car was $14k or $15k, I'd shrug and accept that I'm getting a clean platform that needs some maintenance. $18k really is a lot fot an 05' even factoring the miles.

2004 looks like a decent deal. You got room to do a lot of repairs/maintenance/upgrades at this price if car fax checks out and passes mechanic’s pre-purchase inspection.

2004 looks like a decent deal. You got room to do a lot of repairs/maintenance/upgrades at this price if car fax checks out and passes mechanic’s pre-purchase inspection.
Ignore the 2004 my bad its the 2005

I tend not to buy the high price low miles ones.

These 4.7L V8s engines can last a million miles, so I don’t fear buying one with 175k miles.

If you can find one with 175k miles in decent shape under $10k, then that’s what I would get.

I like the 2008-09 ones and would pay $12k for one with 150k miles.

that’s just me and I haven’t really kept up with prices.

what's the intended use ?

When shopping for mine, I found an '08 with 20k miles going for $22k. Upon inspection, the interior looked like it'd spent 400k miles shuttling a football team around the country. I wrote down the VIN and did some research. The truck was stolen in NYC when it was 3 months old, and recovered by the NYPD 8 months later. The truck was then registered to the NYPD up until a few months before I test drove it. It was bought at auction by the seller (flipper) for $8k, and he did have a fresh repaint done. But the truck had spent ten years doing stakeouts, hopping curbs, fetching donuts, and God knows what else...only 20k miles, but 20k very hard, undocumented miles...I passed.

When shopping for mine, I found an '08 with 20k miles going for $22k. Upon inspection, the interior looked like it'd spent 400k miles shuttling a football team around the country. I wrote down the VIN and did some research. The truck was stolen in NYC when it was 3 months old, and recovered by the NYPD 8 months later. The truck was then registered to the NYPD up until a few months before I test drove it. It was bought at auction by the seller (flipper) for $8k, and he did have a fresh repaint done. But the truck had spent ten years doing stakeouts, hopping curbs, fetching donuts, and God knows what else...only 20k miles, but 20k very hard, undocumented miles...I passed.
Clean carfax and verify with AAA

Clean carfax and verify with AAA

Yeah, no...I get that...was just answering his question about "when is low miles ever bad"...it can be bad if the truck idled in NYC traffic for ten years...or it can be bad if it's a 1983 Yamaha XS650 with 800 original miles that sat in a garage for 26yrs until the motor was seized...(and I bought for $300 and subsequently freed, but I digress...)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom