Buy or pass? 97 with some rust. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did they make a Collector’s edition in regular white? I have a 97 CE and it’s desert dune metallic (pearl white). My bad if I came of wrong I just thought all the collectors edition in white where the desert dune metallic. Please educate me if I’m wrong.
Desert Dune Metallic is a greyish silver and pretty far from pearl white. Paint code 1A5.

Desert Dune Metallic is a greyish silver and pretty far from pearl white. Paint code 1A5.
yup

1618154872186.png

Just deleted the roof rack and rear hatch wind deflector. I’m no expert but desert dune looks pretty white pearl to me.

926C9620-E3D3-4041-9C0E-ACFFE9A3662E.jpeg

9425AFC5-92C6-4C23-841B-EB250D1A7402.jpeg

yup

Looks pretty pearl white from my garage! Just saying:flipoff2:

332A7A2D-4E0A-4E6F-91D6-15D22E2C2171.jpeg

Do you have a collector’s edition?
Yes. No factory roof rack or running boards. Front and rear lockers. That‘s the original paint. Clear coat is starting to go. It’s pretty silver; especially beside my wife's performance white Shelby.

87E70920-8AEB-427C-B967-C0062679D1C6.jpeg

44432687-3C2A-481A-94BA-77A695A9038A.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice. What brand front bumper do your have?
LOL. I get asked that a lot. That is the original Slee front bumper before Christo changed to the Shortbus. I think it took me about a year to get 2 or 3 other people to commit to buy one before he would make a batch of 5. That was something like 2007+/-.

Wow, great find. Rust on that one is an easy fix. Just got my 97 back from the body shop to fix that same spot. Clean it up really good. Start cleaning up the frame and axles a bit at a time. I hot pressure washer is a good start. Take the spare down and clean all of the underbody. Once degreased and cleanup up, you will know how crazy you want to go on the axle and frame. Paint, vs flex fluid.

The body shop can address the hatch and rockers for you. Great find. With some work and lots of elbow grease can double your money in a few years.

RKTINC View attachment 2641815

View attachment 2641814
Good to hear, did you wire wheel the rust underneath or simply coat it with fluid film or something similar? Also, what kind of investment am I looking at to repair tailgate and rocker rust?

Good to hear, did you wire wheel the rust underneath or simply coat it with fluid film or something similar? Also, what kind of investment am I looking at to repair tailgate and rocker rust?
I only sprayed it with degreaser, hosed it off. Let it dry then wiped it down with a rag coated with rubbing alcohol. Seemed to clean up nice. Body shop work has become expensive due to fewer number of shops, insane paint prices, and quality shops that prefer part replacements to actual body work. I spent $800 on a front bumper / valence repair / paint job and a small rust repair to a rear rocker. Seemed like a lot to me but it took him four days so guess its a living.

Pretty hard to get out of any body shop these days for less than a $1000 bucks or more. I have learned to not pinch penny's on labor for Land Cruisers. Poor quality work can be expensive and dangerous for the few percent you might save. Your new truck looks worth taking the time to do right.

Good luck with your build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom