Buy or pass? 97 with some rust. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went to go look at a 97 Collectors edition today. The owner has had it for 17 years, and it's been meticulously maintained. The truck has 188k, zero accidents, and paint and interior are nearly perfect as it has been garage kept. Everything feels right about this truck except there is some minor body rust. The truck has only lived in SC and VA so It must have seen a few salty winters in the mountains after it got here. Any opinions? Could get it for under 10k, and I feel like the opportunity for an 80 this clean otherwise doesn't come around much. The main areas of concern are the area under the rear hatch glass and the bottom of wheel arches.

IMG_2654.JPEG

IMG_2655.JPEG

IMG_2656.JPEG

IMG_2657.JPEG

IMG_2658.JPEG

Buy it

I would buy it and repair the body rust ASAP. The undercarriage is in amazing condition for the age. Great find!

The main areas of concern are the area under the rear hatch glass and the bottom of wheel arches.

Why are you concerned about this rust? Legitimate question: are you concerned it’s not safe to drive? Will get significantly worse? Will be expensive to fix? Etc.

Knowing what your plans are for it and what your a specifically worried about should help in getting responses.

Why are you concerned about this rust? Legitimate question: are you concerned it’s not safe to drive? Will get significantly worse? Will be expensive to fix? Etc.

Knowing what your plans are for it and what your a specifically worried about should help in getting responses.
Not concerned with safety or anything like that, just looking to keep it for a couple of years and want to be sure this won't kill the value of the truck. My 98 has similar amounts of body rust (maybe worse) and it bugs the hell out of me but the frame is starting to scale as well so I want to get rid of it. I feel like everything else about this truck outweighs these minor rust spots but just wanted a second opinion.

The OP is concerned because we don't see rusted chassis down here. Lots of locals pass on this as "too much rust", while those from other areas jump at the chance and fly in.

Definitely a decent truck. That hatch rust isn't uncommon, even for down here. It's also not very advanced, so the hatch can be saved. The fender spots are pretty tame as well and could be cleaned up reasonably. White makes these repairs even easier as the color is so easy to match.

Really looks fine. I'd have the bits on the body professionally addressed sooner rather than later, treat the undercarriage with FF and run it.

Thanks for the advice everyone. Just made the call and told her I'll take it, there was one other person who looked at it a couple of days ago who she is checking with first but he didn't sound like an enthusiast so hopefully it's mine. Wish me luck

Makes sense. I doubt wheel well and hatch kill the value as appears more cosmetic.

The only thing that might hurt the value, that a I can see, is the 5th pic. I’d just want to verify everything is still good there with the piece that connect with the frame rail. Seems to be some scaling or flaking which maybe compromises structure. Kinda hard to tell the extent from the picture. Sounds like your familiar with that type of rust though.

3246B114-29AD-4781-A00F-430BE06F8C2C.jpeg

I'm anti rust but think that can be dealt with relatively easily and that it's not a problem moving forward at a sub 10k price. Do the rust removal, treatment and coatings soon, get it all the first time and you shouldn't have to worry long term. Replace hardware where possible and required, do disassembly if needed, etc.

If you specifically want a white, late-model 80 and/or a CE then you made the right call for sure as they don't show up for sale very often. I really wanted a white, locked CE though I would have bought a few other flavors also. It took me years to find one and the one I bought had way more issues than what you are facing. I've never regretted the purchase :)

Rust never stops, depends what you paid for it and what you plan to do with it.

Both of those areas are common. Rear glass = the window seal isn't doing it's job anymore. Rear quarters = this lip was designed by toyota specifically to collect road debris, dirt and rust. No idea why they created an-upward facing U shape in the wheel well.

Anyway, both can be fixed. If that's it, then go for it. Just be sure there's no rust hiding elsewhere in harder to treat areas.

nice find. Plan on some baselining and let the fun begin. I am in Roanoke too. Hope to see the rig around town.

For north east it looks like a good truck, in the souther midwest it would hurt the value a little

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom