Buy or pass? 97 with some rust. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get rid of that damage multiplier up front as soon as you can.

BTW, well done on providing all pertinent information and pictures up front in your thread. :cheers:

FWIW, I got my 80 in similar condition with 175k miles, a bit worse wheel well rust than that, and shot suspension for $4500... but it's also 3x locked, or twin locked if you're AUS

I'm not seeing any rust on that thing that is overly concerning...but I'm in PA and everything is rusted here

I live in the Midwest. I'm still looking through the pictures trying to find the rust!

My 94 had a heck of a lot more rust than that -has more now and in hind site - I'd still buy it for double what I paid. 80's are skyrocketing in price with the "Covid" tax. I'd jump on this one, fix the rust asap and give it a coating of fluid film or something similar .
Just my 2 cents.

Talked her down a little bit and was able to take the truck home last week. Stuck it in storage until plates come back in the mail next month. The first thing I noticed was this broken door hinge pin that creaks and appears to be cracked, anyone know the part number? Having some trouble finding it.

IMG_2685.JPEG

Just replace the hatch with something without rust is an option too

Oil the pin.

The pin pictured is split so that it can spring/pop into place, I don't see any issue with it. Check the other 4 and they should look the same. Lube new spots til you get the squeak may be the right approach.

The pin pictured is split so that it can spring/pop into place, I don't see any issue with it. Check the other 4 and they should look the same. Lube new spots til you get the squeak may be the right approach.
Makes sense, should have checked when I was with it

The OP is concerned because we don't see rusted chassis down here. Lots of locals pass on this as "too much rust", while those from other areas jump at the chance and fly in.

Definitely a decent truck. That hatch rust isn't uncommon, even for down here. It's also not very advanced, so the hatch can be saved. The fender spots are pretty tame as well and could be cleaned up reasonably. White makes these repairs even easier as the color is so easy to match.
Pearl white! It’s a little harder to match, any good body shop can handle the task they may have to reshoot the whole hatch.

Pearl white! It’s a little harder to match, any good body shop can handle the task they may have to reshoot the whole hatch.

Not an LX. No metallic. It was just white.

Not an LX. No metallic. It was just white.
Did they make a Collector’s edition in regular white? I have a 97 CE and it’s desert dune metallic (pearl white). My bad if I came of wrong I just thought all the collectors edition in white where the desert dune metallic. Please educate me if I’m wrong.

My CE is single stage, non metallic white. I've seen a few others on the forum as well as some black ones. Maybe the CE was available in all colors? I'm not sure on that but it seems possible.

I errored and made an assumption. What are your paint codes? They're definite.

Wow, great find. Rust on that one is an easy fix. Just got my 97 back from the body shop to fix that same spot. Clean it up really good. Start cleaning up the frame and axles a bit at a time. I hot pressure washer is a good start. Take the spare down and clean all of the underbody. Once degreased and cleanup up, you will know how crazy you want to go on the axle and frame. Paint, vs flex fluid.

The body shop can address the hatch and rockers for you. Great find. With some work and lots of elbow grease can double your money in a few years.

RKTINC
AB08455A-9BF1-4169-A1C1-B7C4B446EA22.jpeg

D0A34ED6-61A3-423A-B8A6-5FFC861B4DC3.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom