buy newer or build older? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for some advice from those who have owened Land Cruisers for awhile. I currently have a 2000 LC and am wanting to build it up for solo overlanding with the fam. It has 247,000 miles on it right now, is paid off and has flawless maintenance records. I have only had it for about 2 years.

I am wondering, since I havent had much time with LCs, would you think it more prudent to build out the 2000 LC or buy a newer one (200) and build that one up?

My misgivings are that since the 2000 has a good bit of miles on it (relative for a LC) and I dont want to build it up only to have it die on me in 75k more miles. How much longer, roughly, would you expect the 200 to last? I live in New Mexico and dont crawl with it but spend a fair amount of time in the mud on forest trails on the weekends. Im looking to mostly to take the fam on Backcountry Discovery Roads to camp and explore off the beaten path. Finances are not really an issue. Im looking to put about 10-12k into either the 2000 or the newer one.

Just looking for some advice from people who have driven LC longer than I have. Im open to all questions and suggestions and am not leaning one way or another, just looking for experienced opinion. No deal is being slung right now as the current LC is humming along nicely.

What is your skill level? The lower your skill level, the more I’d lean towards getting a new truck.

I’m currently going through my K2500. New brake and fuel lines, new fuel sending unit and lift pump, new rear springs, going over the engine and suspension, etc. When I’m done, I figure I’ll be good for another 200K, have a vehicle I pretty much know like the back of my hand, and a vehicle with nearly no dependence on computers or electronics.

Having someone else go over an older vehicle and refurbish it ends up being ineffective cost-wise. Of course, new vehicles (and especially “newer” vehicles that someone else has (ab)used for some period of time) aren’t exactly a guarantee that nothing is going to go wrong either.

Why You Should Never Buy a Used Adventuremobile

Well written article by a Land Rover guy.

My preferred option is a weekend/ built rig/ project on 35-39"s and a DD on 32" all terrains.
I drive 22k+ miles a year and it is just not FJ60/80 on 35"s friendly.

I currently have a 4x4 Sequoia DD to haul kids and trailers and my 16 year old son has a 4Runner that's locked, bumpered, regeared.

I'd like to buy another 80/60/first gen Runner next year when I pay his truck off. I enjoy tinkering and have the right tools, but not on my DD.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well, here's my two Yen-
I've had pretty much every model of cruiser, with various drivetrains shoehorned in under the hood. Spent months traveling the length of Baja in my vortec powered 1974 FJ55...sold it after all the looooong highway miles drove me to an 80 series. That was comfy, but gutless. Never liked the shape, but the 80 series just wheels...so..good. Stock, 2.5" lift, 33" AT- made it through the 'con with no problems. Got bored, siren song of diesel lured me out to $ea..Built a different 80 with a 4BT, sold that after I rattled out of the driver's seat.
Finally-did the "right" thing and my good friend Georg at Valley Hybrids built me a 1HZ-t powered 1988 FJ62. Ultimate road trip/expo/backcountry exploring rig. 2.5" lift, 33's on 70 series wheels. Sleeper. Nothing crazy. Sexy.

Built it like it is going to be the last cruiser i ever buy.

silly me.

Now, I'm hearing those damn mermaids from across the Pacific...calling me ever so gently..so sweetly...trying to lure me into a blue 200 series with brown interior and anthracite evoCorse wheels with 34" tires...oooooooohhh....

The older I get, the longer the road trips I take, the more I drive 75mph to keep up with traffic...the more I appreciate quiet. I've replaced every door seal, triple layered cruisercrap on the entire floor pan, inside doors, etc. on the 62...and I still want it to be quieter..

My 62 is my favorite blend of old school looks, with some modern comforts...but maybe I will be waving to y'all from a 200 series at some point?

I'm realizing that no truck "does it all"..but-a mildly built 200 can pretty much take you anywhere (except for 4+ trails) ...in complete luxury.

It's all a matter of perspective, but that's mine.

Or just buy an Xterra. Up to you.

Seth

“But that’s not what you do,” she countered.

My answer? “I’m not you.” And that probably applies to you, too, dear reader. But probably not for the reasons you think.

Yep. That’s pretty much how I look at it - and why I started with “what’s your skill level?” To me, an older vehicle that I know inside and out and have worked on for years is more reliable than something new off the lot that I know nothing about. But for someone who doesn’t know a crescent wrench from a ball peen hammer, that’s obviously not the case.

Even with light wheeling, the old truck will get scratches or dents and you will say "damn, that sucks".

With a new vehicle, you get a scratch and say "awwww fer ****'s sake, not again! I can't f*cking believe this!" And your drive home is ruined.

If you can afford it then buy and build a 200. It has everything and more over the 100 series and hasn't begun to age out yet. The 100 is still an very attractive truck. Either which way you'll possibly keep the 100 or 200 for a while so get one that'll stay the most current right off the bat and enjoy the heck out of it. The 5.7 is so nice but she drinks. The 200 's crawl feature is nice too. You're about the same age as I am and I see my 200 as being in my care for a long time. I purchased it with 47,0000 miles and it now has 131,000. I've dumped a ton of money into it getting it outfitted per my plan. these are dollars I'll never realize again, but an even older 100 series may be that much more in the hole if you ever sold it.

Things to look for on 200's is water pump and radiator around 120,000 mile mark. starter around 130,000-150,000 mile mark. Some, very few, have had coolant leaks in the cam tower valley but that's really rare. The KDSS housing is cast metal and rusts out so if you find a 200 you like make sure you can turn the hex bolts that control the hydraulic fluid flow. Buy a southern truck and you wont need to worry about that. Plenty of threads about that topic if you're truly interested. good luck. I know its hard to give up what you have and spend more on what you want.

Typically you can find a used built rig for cheaper than it would cost to pay someone to build one. But sounds like your 100 iseries is in good shape sounds like. Only bummer to me is its not vvti and you lose a little power and fuel mileage compared to a vvti. But if that doesn't bother you the 2uz is a great motor. If you are going way way out to other countries...your driving a Toyota Land cruiser. Shops are everywhere and labor will likely be cheaper in other countries. The 2uz can go 500k or more easily if maintained. Sure a 200 series is nice but you gotta pay 25k or more just to get started. Your 100 could be very built for 10 to 15k. Just be careful not to overbuild it and waste money on stuff u really don't need.

I recently went through this exact dilemma albeit with an 80 series. My 80 was at the point where it was time to either drop some $$ on it or move on. My goals for the vehicle were similar to yours, family backcountry travels and camping. I decided to move on to a 200 series.

Here was my thought process:

1. Time. With kids and a job, time is by far the most important to me. Every minute I was in the garage with the 80 was one less minute I was out enjoying good times with family and friends.

2. Safety. There really is no comparison to a modern vehicle in terms of safety features. Not just things like multiple airbags, but the structural design of the frame and body has really improved.

3. Comfort. As mentioned in other posts, quiet and ride quality were important to me. The 80 was a great rig offroad, getting there not so much. The 200 is just pleasant to drive, noise level, hvac, seating, all of it is pretty darn nice. Since I'm doing mostly forest road and forest trail stuff, the 200 has never held me back.

Overall, I've been happy with the choice and honestly now that I've spent some time behind the wheel of the 200 it really does just fine out of the box for the type of travel you are describing. I upgraded the suspension (~1in lift over stock) and tires will be next, a rear bumper maybe and that's about it.

As far as longevity, the only thing that scares me a little is all of the electronics but that is the tradeoff with any modern vehicle really. Mechanically the 200 is so much stouter than the 80 so no worries there. So if finances aren't an issue, I wouldn't have any reservations about moving to the newer vehicle.

OK, a perspective out of left field. One of the biggest fears I am finding out from my customers is that with buying a 100 or 200 series used they get a crap shoot as far as electronic systems go. It really applies to all makes of newer vehicles.

The theory is, "If you are looking to build a 10-20 year truck for yourself, start with something a little less packed with OEM electronics. You can then select the after market electronics that work for you and they are all replaceable independently.

The OP states that he has no wrenching skills. Some will say to go the newer route. I'd say that the same money spent to move up to the newer rig will translate to money well spent upgrading the older vehicle and making sure everything is running well.

Personally, I think you are a couple series advanced, I am a sucker for a 60/62. Put it on the right roller with a proper swap and some aftermarket goodies and that is a truck I can drive for 20 years. :)

I use my Tacoma as my expedition rig and daily driver, but I have had the truck for 6 years now. I was in the market for a 03-07 100 series, but I wanted one with fewer miles than my Tacoma ( <130,000). There were few to be found, and those that were are approaching 200 series money. Finally, I bit the bullet and decided to build up my Tacoma instead (it's paid for, maintained correctly, etc). At the end of the day, lower miles means that it's going to last a lot longer than a higher mileage truck, if I were to put the same money into accessories. Your 100 series is approaching the time that you're probably going to have to look at putting some money into drivetrain parts (rebuild the motor, replace the transmission, etc). Honestly, I'd probably sell the 100 series, figure out what accessories you *need* and get a lower mileage 200 series and put the *needed* accessories on it instead.

You can use the same philosophy when picking women. Just exchange offroad with the word loving.

Even with light loving, the old woman will get scratches or dents and you will say "damn, that sucks".

With a new woman, you get a scratch and say "awwww fer ****'s sake, not again! I can't f*cking believe this!" And your loving home is ruined.

:rofl:

This seems like a great example of figure out the budget first. Then take 80% number of that to figure out what your options are in that bracket. Then figure out what seems like it is the best option given parts depreciation and running costs. Then try to stick to the 80% rule on whatever your choice is. Hopefully only have cost overruns of 25% so that in the end, you paid 100% of what was originally set aside!

To me, it seems like if you own your truck outright, modifying that will be the cost effective option. Many of the parts that you will need to buy could be transfer to a new ride if you so choose too.

So you own a Landcruiser ! Why do you think you need to do anything to it ? Many expiditions were done in remote places in Africa with stock Landcruiser's ! got them in and out and back home ! that's why people gave up on Rovers !
My thought is the only mod you may need is suspension and larger mud tires. If it's a gasser and your happy then ok but if you want less motor maintenance and reliability and milage then go Diesel. My choice is the 12ht and for others 1hz.
Some people seem to think Landcruiser's ''Need'' modification when in fact a stock Landcruiser will just about go anywhere.
I've been driving Landcruiser's since 1992, offroaded for 10years and have seen many moded trucks and not and heard of intensions to modify where it was just not necessary.

My two cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom