Busted Bolt Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am just now getting around to putting my Kaymar on the rear. And am having a hell of a time with the tow hitch bolts. I have used liberal penitrating oil amounts. I even thought I was planning ahead by hitting with oil weeks prior. The blue wrench didn't do the trick either. The damn truck is rust free. But these bolts are siezed up solid. I have broken two off already. Really dont want to have to drill and tap 6 of the bastards. When I get the bumper and hitch off will I have some kind of access to these thru the frame? I f so I may just bust em off. Maybe one of you rust bucket driving Canucks can help me:D

are they breaking off flush with the frame or the hitch plate?

Heat is going to be your friend for these. If there is a little nub left over after removing the kitch, you can weld a nut to the piece of broken bolt. This will give you something to wrench on and the heat from welding usually breaks the rust bond.

If you have a torch, put some heat on the bolt heads before cranking on them. The heat will expand the bolt a little and break the rust bond. Wait till they cool before wrenching.

I removed my hitch a few weeks ago. Mine was a nearly rust free truck, but the aftermarket junk just didn't hold up nearly as well. My problem was that one of them broke the weldnut from inside the frame. Luckily the weldnut broke free after the bolt had backed up 1/8" or so. I was able to get the little abrasive bolt cutter in there and cut it off. The other part is still inside the frame until I get to the back bumper. I still have the stock back bumper on.

Removing the back bumper should give you access to the threaded end of the bolt where you can shoot some PBlaster on it hopefully. It might be easier to just flame cut the bolt heads off and then try to remove what's left with vise grips and PBlaster. At least you'll be able to get the penetrating oil onto the threads that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom