Busted Bilstein Shock again! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Last year I researched my shocks to put all the way around both my Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series and my First Generation Toyota Sequoia. I thought I did due diligence and chose Bilstein 4600s for the Land Cruiser and rear end of the Sequoia, and 5100s for the Sequoia front end. They made an amazing ride, especially on the LC. Two weeks ago, I was driving down a gravel road and began hearing a banging. I stopped and saw that the shock on the passenger side had sheared off at the top, between the shaft and the retaining nut beneath the attachment bracket. I contacted the retailer and sent photos and I am waiting to hear back from Bilstein to see if they will honor their lifetime warranty. While driving down the same gravel road today, I heard the banging again, this time on the driver's side. Sure enough, the other rear shock busted in the same place just two weeks after the other one. I already bought and installed the passenger side replacement, a Bilstein 4600 because this is my daily driver. The driver's side, I will replace with an OEM I just ordered. I will keep you up to date with regard to the warranty. I ordered an extra rear shock replacement because these are not available in my area. The closest replacement shocks OTC are 150 miles away. Lesson learned.

IMG_8586.jpg

I thought I had read somewhere about this issue on Hundys but supposedly there was a new updated design???

My 3rd gen 4Runner busted one on that same spot. I purchased another but didn't tight the top bolt all the way so it can flex now. So far so good.

I’ll look it up. Must’ve made it past my radar screen. Thanks.
I thought I saw maybe on mud that the original design had the threaded extension on top and later that was removed? IDK but would like to know if there was an improvement. Been very happy with my Bilsteins on the 80.

Last year I researched my shocks to put all the way around both my Toyota Land Cruiser 100 Series and my First Generation Toyota Sequoia. I thought I did due diligence and chose Bilstein 4600s for the Land Cruiser and rear end of the Sequoia, and 5100s for the Sequoia front end. They made an amazing ride, especially on the LC. Two weeks ago, I was driving down a gravel road and began hearing a banging. I stopped and saw that the shock on the passenger side had sheared off at the top, between the shaft and the retaining nut beneath the attachment bracket. I contacted the retailer and sent photos and I am waiting to hear back from Bilstein to see if they will honor their lifetime warranty. While driving down the same gravel road today, I heard the banging again, this time on the driver's side. Sure enough, the other rear shock busted in the same place just two weeks after the other one. I already bought and installed the passenger side replacement, a Bilstein 4600 because this is my daily driver. The driver's side, I will replace with an OEM I just ordered. I will keep you up to date with regard to the warranty. I ordered an extra rear shock replacement because these are not available in my area. The closest replacement shocks OTC are 150 miles away. Lesson learned.

View attachment 3461665
Lakeland Toyota lost my order. I went ahead and ordered a new Bilstein from Summit Racing. When that gets here, I’ll install it!

We're talking rear shocks right? Not to blame the installer but that top nut is a doozie to get torqued down and keep everything all centered up. If it's not right it could cause some damage. Shocks shouldn't just break especially not from just gravel road driving. Given they were purchased from such a large manufacture I can't imagine they are defective to the point of breaking.
>> Just a guess but worth considering. Come to think of it I should double check mine before winter hits

1698337696331.png

1698337683773.png

Were you able to inspect the piece that remained secured in the top mount? was it tight?

I just discovered my rear Bilstein 4600 sheared off. Installed in 2020. I don't drive it too hard, no mountains or rocks here in Florida. Occasionally some sand or washboard roads. It's pretty frustrating.

As for difficulty of installation, I drilled a hole through the floor. Made it a lot easier to get it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom