Burning Rubber Smell - Passenger side wheelwell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well guys, first big problem but I'm hoping y'all can guide me in a way to help diagnose it and fix it.

I work approximately 8-10 miles from home and when I got to the office this morning, I noticed that there was a nasty burning smell coming from the passenger side wheel well. I thought perhaps it could be something onto the cats/exhaust or perhaps oil burning. Thought about it a little bit more and it smells like burning rubber/hair. A pretty nasty smell if you can taste it like I could.

I went around the block to a little get together after work, perhaps one mile, and noticed the smell again. Come outside to the car a bit later on and the smell is gone, so I start the vehicle up to help eliminate anything dripping on the exhaust. Wait approximately 10 minutes and there's a small odor but probably nothing out of the ordinary.

Drive to my next destination and smell was back again.

Any ideas as to where to start?

Some reference on the vehicle and things I've done:
1997 Lexus LX450, no lockers
OME lift, 850/860 coils
285/75/16 BFG KM2s
Caster correction with new OEM bushings
Rebuilt front axle about 2-3k miles ago

Shop installed: new front rotors and brake pads about 4k miles ago
-Alignment done after the tires were put on

Also to note, there is a groove in the passenger side rotor forming (no driver's)
The rotor was not hot to the touch this morning after the vehicle sat for 10 minutes in 30 some degree weather
There is an ever so slight pull to the right - could be the road crown but it seems to come and go during hard braking - i.e it's a little squirrelly compared to newer vehicles.

Any ideas guys? I have to work until 2 tomorrow so I'll be driving my Tundra but home to diagnose some of the easier things from there...

Front, or rear? Is your parking brake on? Check for excessive heat. If you're not familiar there's a very distinct smell associated with cooking your brakes, your description sounds reasonably close.

Also, check your mud flap sometimes the tail pipe makes contact with the rear right, and melts it. It would only happen once the exhaust heats up, but I'm leaning more towards brakes.

I have a hot plastic smell after driving, and I've determined that it's likely the leaky transfer case output seal. The driveshaft gets wet and throws oil on the exhaust.

At first, I was paranoid that it was a dragging brake, but after checking and rechecking all brakes, I think it's the gear oil burning.

Doesn't quite match your description, but maybe something else to check.

Did you have ver greased recently? Not sure on the 80 but on my 90 series when I grease her some of the excess grease gets thrown against the exhaust where it burns and gives of a burning smell which had me worried a time or two!

Meant to post up yesterday but got caught up with work

To follow up: it is the passenger side FRONT wheel well.

Observations
1. Nothing is touching the exhaust from what I can tell
2. The knuckle wiper isn't leaking/losing any grease
3. The passenger side brakes are no warmer than the driver's side - no glazing either
4. My antenna does not nor has it worked since I've bought the vehicle
5. I do have some engine oil leaks - it could be oil hitting the belts and burning off?
6. The smell is putrid but goes away within minutes of driving it
7. Nothing is locked up in the motor
8. No grease is leaking from the drive flange plate. I replaced all front drive flange studs about 1500 miles ago

I am going to take the caliper off and look at the brake pads today to see if anything is noticeably embedded in there to see if it could be causing that nasty burning rubber smell

I'm also going to take a peak into the knuckle and see if perhaps it's just totally dry in in there

If I have time, I will also degrease the engine and see if that helps. Any ideas on that to not foul the plugs/distributor?

Edit: There is a lot of oil everywhere but it's centrally located in the engine bay - i.e. it's all along the engine/tranny and a little bit on the front axle.

Can gear oil leak from the diff breather? It's still attached but wet up there... Still doesn't explain the smell from the furthest most right side of the vehicle though... plus nothing would be moving there to fling it on anything hot?

Thanks guys!

I get the same smell from my front passenger wheel well, but I think it is from wet road debris coming in contact with the cat. Doesn't seem to do it when the roads are dry==

I usually use electric grease on mine when I have have to degrease/clean the engine bay. WD-40 also works in a pinch.

Does it happen when it's wet out? It happens to me too. I have come to the realization that it's actually rubber mixed with water from the road that is burning off on the exhaust where it's exposed inside the wheel well. Took me a very long time to figure out.

Does it happen when it's wet out? It happens to me too. I have come to the realization that it's actually rubber mixed with water from the road that is burning off on the exhaust where it's exposed inside the wheel well. Took me a very long time to figure out.

You know, I've never noticed it before... doesn't mean it wasn't there.. just didn't notice it.

I went out today in hopes to take the caliper off and see if anything was embedded in the brakes. Prior to doing that, I took it on the interstate and, with nobody behind me, made a pretty hard stop to help clear the pads. Did this from about 50 down a few times to 20 mph or so.

I learned two things at that point.
1. The truck does not stop on a dime (didn't expect it to :D)
2. The smell was gone? Hasn't come out today

The last two days was it was... but we've had snow/slush on the roadway for the last few weeks. Today was one of the first completely dry days we've had. Temps were in the 40s and 50s.

So, with that discovery, I went with my buddy to a little trail that was good and moist with some nice sticky mud. The KM2s just idled though it while my buddy's Disco on KM1s (half tread) had to sling some mud to gain traction and turn.

Either way, once I parked the truck from that outing, I noticed a nice smell. Kind of like a BBQ. In hopes that it wasn't a CarBQ, it smelled kind of sweet smelling almost like mud. So, most likely that wet mud just burning onto the cats. Never really noted mud to be much of a sweet smell anyway. Suppose anything can happen.

I'll be keeping my eyes on it to see how it reacts the next few days and keep the thread updated if anything comes up.

-rockstate

Have you checked for a coolant leak for the rear heater, those things develop pin holes and will often spray on the exhaust. I yanked that whole mess out as a trail repair if it goes isn't possible.

I had this problem just the other day... there was snow/slush on the road. so that may be a cause.... but I also noticed that the wheel was really hot... REALLY HOT the whole thing was radiating heat.. I was worried that the bearing is worn or the breaks are rubbing?? not sure .. do any of you notice the heat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom