Heater Noise with Burning Smell (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been a long time since I've posted on here. I had a 87 4Runner back in the day that I dumbly replaced with a jeep wrangler...but now I'm back with an 80 series (1992) after i gave up on the weird jeep culture (no offense, well maybe). I've had it now for about 2 years and have been having issues with the heater and air conditioner since owning it. It's possibly related. Whenever I turn on the heater it works for a bit but if it is on longer than 45 minutes, a loud squealing noise starts and then there is a burning rubber smell. I did some searching around and I believe the heater blower motor needs to be replaced.

now with the cooling - it's never worked - the AC blows out slightly cooled air and eventually the squealing/burning rubber smells happens (another potential indicator that it is the heater blower motor). Now my questions are - is it possible that the the heater blower motor is impacting the cooling? Or is there potential that I need to replace other components in the AC? Also if you think that this might be something else than the heater blower motor, feel free to provide input there!

You blower motor should not affect A/c temps unless it’s not blowing. I would start with pulling your motor basket out they are usually pretty dirty after years of use. Maybe cleaning it up will help with it perform. Easy to take out 3 torx screws and a wiring harness. Under the glove box

Your A/C system is probably low on Freon. You need a set of gauges to properly diagnose. You may get lucky by using one of those cheep A/C recharge kits but that is not the right way to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom