Building a steel tub... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My question concerns the feasibility of building a steel tub for my FJ40 on components available from CCOT. Based on info I've gleaned lurking about on the Cruiser boards, and sourcing parts, I would say very feasible (unless I'm missing some really big clue.) The limiting factor would seem to be finding a bodyman/welder willing to work with you on the piecemeal assembly. How critical/difficult for fabricating a tub from CCOT components to attach to my nice new frame and steel firewall? In particular, alignment concern me...do I need to build jigs? I'm also considering doing the aqualo aluminum tub, but I like the idea of keeping it steel...

All input and direction appreciated...

Cheers, and keep on Cruising!

Dave

I t is not feasable to build a whole steat tub out of all new ccot parts because there are certan parts that can not be baught such as hardtop sill and door sill you would be much better of starting with a old tub sandblasting it and replacing any un salvagable pannles. I personaly whould go with aluminum if i had the money. I dont see any disadvantges of aluminum.

I vote for aluminum. I got an Aqualu for my '78 and it is sweet. It was remarkably easy to prepare the old frame and firewall section, cut off the old rusted tub and bolt in the aluminum one...it fit exactly and the best part is it will not rust. It is nice and heavy duty, a solid ride next to the old rusted flapping in the wind steel tub.

In addition there has been a note on this forum about someone who actually did a restoration of a steel tub and they said it was so difficult they would not do it again. They would do aluminum the second time around. They had no idea it would take so long to weld the various panels to the tub structure.

I guess I should start writing ads for Aqualu...! :rolleyes:

A buddy of mine does quite a few steel tub projects, some are completely junk and he does all custom sheet metal. He did mine, and has done probably 30 tota. IIRC, a custom tub with full cage is in the $2500 range...and honestly, 79+ is a PITA versus the 78-older tub style...

[quote author=woody link=board=1;threadid=9942;start=msg88690#msg88690 date=1073876492]
A some are completely junk and he does all custom sheet metal. He did mine, ...
[/quote]

Now Woody, we all look up to you as the IH8MUD king. Are you saying you had a guy do your steel tub even though some are Junk?

[glow=red,2,300]Disclaimer - The rib included in this post is meant as good clean fun. No actual insult was intended by the author. The author is not responsible by actions of any future posts or any insult taken by the reader[/glow]

go aluminum,its lighter and will never rust,and aqualu does sweet work.nuff said :D

As a side note you may want thicker material used on the sides, LOL. I wish mine were heavier every time I slip off a boulder and slap a rear side into a bank or another boulder. 8)

[quote author=hammerhead link=board=1;threadid=9942;start=msg88821#msg88821 date=1073887126]
hey romer, you gettin' gun shy on us? ???
[/quote]

Nah, just part of the humor my friend! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom