Building a 6’ 30Ton press brake - am I crazy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMoMo

That's not rust, it's Canadian patina...
Threads
Yep, you read that right! (And yes I am crazy)

After working through the body restoration of my LandCruiser BJ70 I learned a lot about shaping metal.
—> that thread here (Saving the Silver 70)

One of the tools that I really couldn’t have done it without was a little 14” die that I made for a small manual hydraulic press - that allowed me to make nice 90 degree (or less) bends. The biggest problem was I was limited severely in the size of parts I could make.

That is about to change. I have just started fabricating a massive (for me!) 6’ long press brake that will have a 30Ton ram in it!

I am not an engineer (though luckily I have a smart friend who is) so this really is a fly by the seat of my pants design, and fingers crossed, when it’s done I can make some cool parts to restore my FJ45!

I’m going to video this so if anyone is interested in following along, links will be posted below!

Feel free to post thoughts, ideas, concerns (though the videos may lag behind the production so your concerns may be addressed, or already surpassed!)

All feedback is welcomed and appreciated!

Enjoy!

Well, I managed to get the main frame structure welded together today, was interesting flipping it over to weld the other side... involved a lot of “I probably shouldn’t be doing this” and “dont fall, don’t fall.... please don’t fall”

After measuring 27 times, and then a few more - I tacked the beams together and lifted the frame vertical so I could get at everything. Glad I welded a lifting eye on the beam first!

3D882E46-9F78-41A9-9112-821878A31D15.jpeg

With it standing I welded the cross beam lower flanges, and the lower cross beam top sides. Once these were welded I did a big fat weave on the top of the top beam.

E3F5BC16-4D04-4115-AD69-333FC520DBCB.jpeg

Next I lowered it down flat again and welded the webs. Had to use the high lift to re-position the cherry picker... (one of the moments listed above!)

A0DE2B69-2F90-483F-9C94-8FE7A7A445C9.jpeg

Then once the webs were welded I stood it upside down, and welded the rest of the flanges, and the under side of both beams. Flipped it again after that to weld the other side of the webs, and then once more to get it upright again!

5D620CB5-E6D6-49BA-9AD5-C1A9CDC9DF04.jpeg

Hoping tomorrow I can get the upper die holder built, and maybe the lower die setup in place.

Well I got a bunch more done, long way to go before I’m making body parts, but closer by the hour!

Main frame is welded together and I’ve started with the working bits.

Got parts prepped for the upper die holder, and got the lower die in place and started welding.

Here is Episode 2:

Nice welds!

Lots of drilling, welding, and a little finger smashing going on... making progress, and things move now!

Episode 4 - heavy lifting.

Enjoy!

It BENDS stuff!

Got my dies built and attached the doe holder to the traveler beam - put the jack in place and did a test bend.

Still a lot of fiddly bits, but it’s operational now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom