Broken screw in fuel pump cover- blue loctite (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Much to my disappointment I dropped the fuel tank in my parts rig & soaked the sender & fuel pump screws overnight before attempting to remove them. With a little coaxing they all came out ok except one for the pump broke about 1/8 of an inch above the tank surface. They were obviously put in years ago with blue loctite & after vibration, heat & three day of liquid wrench no luck. I don't want to overheat the seal around the flange the bolts go into for fear of ruining the seal. I think they are #10 machine screws at best and can't find the best temp to heat what little is left of the broken screw on the Loctite website. Any ideas would be much appreciated as this tank is in much better shape than my original. Thanks

Much to my disappointment I dropped the fuel tank in my parts rig & soaked the sender & fuel pump screws overnight before attempting to remove them. With a little coaxing they all came out ok except one for the pump broke about 1/8 of an inch above the tank surface. They were obviously put in years ago with blue loctite & after vibration, heat & three day of liquid wrench no luck. I don't want to overheat the seal around the flange the bolts go into for fear of ruining the seal. I think they are #10 machine screws at best and can't find the best temp to heat what little is left of the broken screw on the Loctite website. Any ideas would be much appreciated as this tank is in much better shape than my original. Thanks

photos , and several of them will help folks give you the correct advise .......

try a chemical solvent. here is one thread on the subject:
with 1/8 sticking out, you should be able to grab the stickout with locking pliers to twist it out after letting the solvent work. or drill it out with a left twist drill or use an easy out.

The screws will be metric, so get a proper sized tap.

try a chemical solvent. here is one thread on the subject:
with 1/8 sticking out, you should be able to grab the stickout with locking pliers to twist it out after letting the solvent work. or drill it out with a left twist drill or use an easy out.

The screws will be metric, so get a proper sized tap.
Thanks for the suggestions, finally I got it with a combination of penetrating oil, vibration, vise grips & patience! PS, I hate easy outs- very rarely have they ever worked for me on a small machine screw. Happy Wheeling!!!

They are M4x.07 thread if you want to clean with a thread chaser.

New OEM screws and some anti sieze highly recommended

Anti sieze definately Matt!. I have been having good results with the copper based Permatex, what do you use? Also new oem gaskets for the sender, pump & drain plug as I planto flush the tank thoroughly. I opted for stainless allen socket head caps vs the oem screws for the pump & sender. They salt the roads here very well in the winter which has created screw & bolt siezures for me big time over the years. Hopefully I can get a lift for my pole shop sometime soon & be able to maintain my undercarriage much better. Thanks for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom