Broken Overhead Console (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My overhead console has been floppy since I bought my LC. The windshield side has always been loose and rattling.

The culprit is a split in the plastic where the metal retaining clip is supposed to sit. This just causes the metal clips to pull out and provide no retention - thus the floppy console.

I'm going to try a little super glue to repair the split in the plastic, but does anyone else have a better way to get this to stay in place better?

IMG_20200123_172525.jpg

IMG_20200123_172920.jpg

No bites, but I'll update with my progress.

I super glued the plastic pieces, just along the cracked point. The metal clips seem to hold on that much better and not the console sits much more flush when installed with not more floppy flop.

I'm not sure of the longevity of this, but it cost about $0.15 of glue and 20 mins of time (I was already replacing my garage opener battery...)

IMG_20200123_204323.jpg

There’s also supposed to be a single screw through the pocket up into the roof. Is that there?
Yes, that was about all that has been holding it in for the last year and a half that I've owned it plus however long its been broken.

I had the same problem last year with mine. The glue only lasted a day for me. I couldn't find any OEM replacement, and ended up finding one in a junkyard for $30....

Look at one of Benjamin's 3d Print Builds. Not sure if it utilizes the same clips to attach. But might be another route other than OEM.

Wondering if you could use some fibreglass or resin of some sort to help rebuild the cracked section. I have the same issue with mine and is on my list of things to fix from the PO.

Look at one of Benjamin's 3d Print Builds. Not sure if it utilizes the same clips to attach. But might be another route other than OEM.

Yeah, I've looked at his stuff. It looks like he is only making the sunglasses/garage door opener portion. All of the designs he has still use the bulk of the OEM console.

Wondering if you could use some fibreglass or resin of some sort to help rebuild the cracked section. I have the same issue with mine and is on my list of things to fix from the PO.
Yeah that is a good idea too. The superglue seems to have worked well, but we will see how long it lasts.

Its just such a small plastic piece that it doesn't have a whole lot of real estate for adding material. Post up what you end up trying!

Bumping this to see if anyone has a good fix for squished/deformed plastic legs for OH console. These are the legs that the metal tabs attach to.

Got a ScanGauge headed my way and putting up there, but one leg is mashed/saggy and will not go up into the roof piece. Another link here but no good fix.

Thinking about trying some plastic welding in a support?

Bumping this to see if anyone has a good fix for squished/deformed plastic legs for OH console. These are the legs that the metal tabs attach to.

Got a ScanGauge headed my way and putting up there, but one leg is mashed/saggy and will not go up into the roof piece. Another link here but no good fix.

Thinking about trying some plastic welding in a support?
I like to use plastic weld. Very strong and long lasting epoxy type product. Mix it properly. I’ve used this to very good results, including for exterior trim pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom