Builds Bringing back my 74 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DustyFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
I just picked this up last night from a couple that have had it since 77 down in alabama. The truck has been sitting for a number of years and the motor is seized, there are various other parts missing or broken on this truck but it looks very restoreable to me. I never quite got a straight answer about the year the engine was replace some members of the family said 78 79 some said early eighties.

I'd like to see if I can get the original motor running and drive it more or less as is while I fix all the smaller problems with it. I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing so I'll be asking for help and searching around to find answers on here. I can tell the truck has had plenty of shady tree mechanics work on it.
Falmouth-20130112-00070.jpg

That is an awesome fj. Keep up the posts to show us the progress. I am hoping to be in the same situation soon. Even though some things were missing or broken it will be a great project. What engine does it have?

heres a couple pics of the engine bay, some type a desmog or just a lot of missing/capped off lines.
IMG-20130113-00073.jpg
Charles Town-20130113-00072.jpg

Couple exterior shots
IMG-20130113-00075.jpg
IMG-20130113-00074.jpg
IMG-20130113-00079.jpg

I thought I heard someone say "maybe it doesnt start because the bezel is upside down"
IMG-20130113-00078.jpg
IMG-20130113-00077.jpg
IMG-20130113-00076.jpg

as I crawled under to take a couple pictures I heard some light scratching I thought maybe I had bumped the truck but then I heard it again and I thought ,theres a mouse hiding in there. I wanted to see where he was hiding so I swung the driver door open to take a quick look and my wifes cat jumped out at me and scared the heck out of me. So I guess theres no mouse.
IMG-20130113-00082.jpg

replacement engine year??

Looks like the 2f was replaced in the early eighties?

its stamped 2F 283581
100_2651.jpg

Dizzy vacuum line is hooked to manifold vacuum...change that.

Dizzy vacuum line is hooked to manifold vacuum...change that.

I think I see where your talking about, I searched and found this picture but it looks slightly different than mine. I just ordered the haynes manual so I'll have a diagram of the vacuum lines
CIMG2980.jpg

Cool project. Where did you find it?

I bought it in Richmond, VA but Most of its life it was in alabama.

Pig head - should the vacuum advance be comming directly off of the carb somewhere?? From what im reading some of the distributors have a vac advance and a vac retard is that right? mine looks like it has just the one line, but I'm having a hard time finding pictures of the same set up. thanks for the input
IMG-20130113-00084.jpg

From what im reading some of the distributors have a vac advance and a vac retard is that right?

Some dizzys have a vacuum advance, and some dizzys have a vacuum retard. Yours looks to me like a vacuum retard. If I had a vacuum retard, I'd run it without the vacuum line attached and just use the mechanical advance...assuming it still works.

Some dizzys have a vacuum advance, and some dizzys have a vacuum retard. Yours looks to me like a vacuum retard. If I had a vacuum retard, I'd run it without the vacuum line attached and just use the mechanical advance...assuming it still works.

I'll unhook it then, and plug the hole.

I get the impression that the truck was running rough for a while and one day it wouldnt start and its been sitting ever since. So I guess I'm hoping I can piece these lines together free up the motor and getting running without too much trouble, but of course thats plan "A"

Looks good. Mine started out looking about the same. Rear seal was gone and wouldn't run.
I just got a 60 running that sat for 7 years. Changed the oil, cleaned the fuel lines out and put in new fuel filters and a trollhole carb. Fired right up and ran like a champ.

These ol' tractor engines seem to run after years of sitting, given half a chance. I once started up a junker that had been sitting outside for 10 years, today I started up our new '62 that hadn't run in 6 years. poured some Marvel Mystery oil down the sparkplug holes and let it sit. Turned it over by hand a few times, put the plugs back in, poured some fresh gas down the carb and gave the starter 12 volts...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niwuTV6Ore4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btJOhff_qKs

Oh, that junker was a '74...

Last edited:
I was able to free up the crank with a man sized pair of channel locks and some pressure, now it feels like its turning freely for a bit then dead stop like the piston is hitting an open valve or something?? I can turn it back the other way a good bit(not sure how many turns then dead stop again. Is there an easy way to know if the cam has been turned and it just needs to be lined up again with the crank??

I'm not even sure I'm asking the right question
IMG-20130115-00091.jpg
IMG-20130115-00089.jpg

The crank can move 180 degrees either way to a dead stop
IMG-20130115-00096.jpg

pull the spark plugs and try it again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom