Builds Bringing back my 74 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

update

So it was a busy year for me, got divorced sold my house moved, lot of changes. The 40 is sitting at a friends house right now, over the summer and fall I traded a gun for some work on the truck since I was busy with personal issues.

I bought an electronic ignition kit to get rid of the points that were bad and too far gone to save.

My friend said it did run for a few seconds on the old carb but really rough and really high rpms. The carb I rebuild leaked like crazy. On his advice I gave up and bought one from trollhole.

My friend pulled the head and sent it to rockville ring and pinion to be gone over and have new valve seats pressed in. Cylinder #5 had low compression because of a bad valve seat apparently.

I bought a used intake manifold, the old one leaked like a sieve and was apparently unsaveable. Intake and exhaust manifolds were taken in and cleaned up professionally, I believe they were milled together…If I remember correctly, I had a lot obi my mind at the time.

I'm just waiting for a few parts and It should be ready to go back together and run. I almost sold the truck for next to nothing in the midst of personal stuff but I'm glad I was able to hold on to it.

I'm excited to start driving this thing around!!

That is a tough year. Driving the 40 will put a smile on your face soon enough.
Slooooow progress on the 40 but its getting there.

IMG_0507.jpg

a>
a>
My friend that has been helping me store and work on the truck for over a year and a half got the 40 running this week. After never ending problems with no spark and running out of time where the truck was being stored, I bought a troll hole distributer and the truck started and drives under its own power for the first time in maybe 15 years++??

Quite an adventure making the 1/2 hour drive from germantown to frederick. I took all back roads for its maiden voyage and all things considered it did well. There a few things I need to fix before I can really drive it around. Truck dives left under braking and the clutch is gone. Turn signals worked I thought but now they don't. Probably wouldn't hurt to fix the seatbelt either....

Lots of work to get it dialed in though, felt really slow. None of the vacuum lines are hooked up and the valves need to be adjusted again. Pretty good exhaust leak below the manifold.

Funny thing, I knew it was low on gas. I only put a couple gallons in when I emptied the tank last year. Thought I had plenty to get to a gas station without going out of the way. Literally ran out of gas going down a hill with enough speed to turn left and into a gas station next to the pump. It was too perfect I was sure something else had to be wrong but no, just out of gas. Also I drove about half way home before I realized the truck was in 4wd:doh:

IMG_1441.JPG
IMG_1343.jpg
loos like my pictures didn't take in the last post

couple weeks ago I was going to look into the brakes and figure out why they were pulling to the right so hard, got down to pull the tire off and noticed the bolts holding the hub on were half way backed out. This scared me a bit and I wanted to have some level of confidence that I wont loose a hub or wheel riding down the highway so I decided to clean up the knocks and replace the seals. Last person in there really boggered up the hub nuts, and made a mess with rtv

IMG_1544.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

now that the brakes are adjusted, I have turn signals, and a working seatbelt I'm almost ready to venture more than a mile from the house! Took the boys to play some basketball in it this week
IMG_1625.jpg

Been away from the truck healing up a broken hand but getting back at it! Rear seats reupholstered!!

Looking good man! They are more fun when they are running, eh? Glad you're getting to share with the kids, too.

Spent some time on the 40 since its finally warming up in the dc area. Working in my apartment complex garage, really difficult to grind quietly...

not exactly sure of the best way to bolt the 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 square tube to the frame. I saved the rubber isolators, I guess Ill drill and tap the 1/8 thick square tube and run the bolts up through the frame?? Opinions???

I thought i was replacing it. You mean use a remanufactured sill like ccot sells??? This seems stronger/better?
Uh , you'd be better off in the long term to just replace the rear sill , or do it again later ....
Sarge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom