Branch Deflectors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I went wheeling last weekend in some gorgeous fall colors in the GWNF. Though I love the foliage, I can’t say that I want it whacking at my windshield all the time. Is there a graceful way to hook up branch deflectors if you don’t have an ARB or similar front bull bar w/ hoops? I’ve got a roof rack to attach to, but no bar in front. I've seen some old beaters with holes drilled into the fender for eyebolts, but for a number of reasons, I don’t think that is the best solution. I’d like to fabricate a bracket that could use the existing two forward most bolts on the top of the fender and extend out under the front corners of the hood. Do any of you know if there is a better way to tackle this? I’m up for any suggestions.
Thanks,
CJ

LinkPhoto

LinkPhoto

How about using the hood deflector attaching holes as anchor points for a foot of fabric strap that remains permanently attached and laying under the deflector (in space between hood and deflector). When needed, a ring on their ends is clipped to a cable to the roof rack. The area where the strap would chafe the hood in use can be protected with a small patch of the clear film used for clear bras or as chafe protection at motorcycle shops.

IdahoDoug

I solve that problem by folding my windshield down. :D :flipoff2:
But yes, most people run cable from their bull bar to the corners of a rack to keep junk of the windshield. Junk posted a pic of a venezuelan dude with them awhile back. What would be cool is to find a wire that could be used as a radio or CB antenna and hook it up.

I used electrical conduit p clamps to mount the ARB end of the brush wires on my 60 series, and will probably do the same to the 80. If you get the "insulated" ones with the rubber coating they won't mar the finish of the arb. Plus, if you use turnbuckles with hooks on one end, you can remove them pretty fast if need be.

-H-

[quote author=IdahoDoug link=board=2;threadid=6476;start=msg52437#msg52437 date=1066535604]
How about using the hood deflector attaching holes as anchor points for a foot of fabric strap that remains permanently attached and laying under the deflector (in space between hood and deflector). When needed, a ring on their ends is clipped to a cable to the roof rack. The area where the strap would chafe the hood in use can be protected with a small patch of the clear film used for clear bras or as chafe protection at motorcycle shops.

IdahoDoug
[/quote]

I thought about this, but I worry that it could put a lot of upward force on the corners of the hood. Since the latch is in the center of the hood and the corners aren't really secured to anything... I'd have nightmares of my hood peeling open like a can of sardines. I think that mounting ‘em somehow to the fenders is the best way to go (assuming you don’t have a bull bar in front of course.)

I think you have almost convinced yourself to get an ARB bullbar :D

Good point on the hood strain. Hadn't thought about hitting something large, but on the trail anything can happen and whatever's not 10X overbuilt will eventually fail.

How about longer fabric straps attached at the bumper and fed up under the bug guard. Cut slits in the bug guard so you can easily pass the straps with their loop through for use. When not in use, they could be rolled up near their attaching point behind the bumper and secured. This way, the force is applied at the bumper, and the material I'd mentioned earlier protects the finish of the hood. Send me a SASE and I'll send you enough scraps - I own a company that installs that stuff.

IdahoDoug

Why not just use the 2 posts that act as stabalizers for the hood...not sure the exact term. Still waiting on my FSM. And then instead of running them out the front, over the bug deflector and to the rack...which you could do. The force wouldn't be exactly the same, but you might end up sardined if you try and lift a tree. But rather run the straps out the side of the hood and up to the rack. That way all the pressure is on the rack and the thingies. You could use those fake carabiners you see in every check-out stand so that they were portable, or just mount them and leave them in the engine compartment. My .02.

18548282.jpg

:D

added advantage is that your dog gets plenty of fiber that way.

cool setup...Anyone come up with a mounting point for non-roofrackers using the roof rack mounts to do a similar setup?

Landpimp,

What's the white stuff under that beautiful white LC! Great pic with the dog! Woody ought to add that one to the home page.

The L-Pimps (TM) cruiser is currently my background on my desk top - I view it as something to aspire to! Although driving around Toronto I would get some odd looks.

Cheers, Hugh

John,
Do you have your side indicator lamps wired as running lights?
-B-

[quote author=DanKunz link=board=2;threadid=6476;start=msg52821#msg52821 date=1066660576]
added advantage is that your dog gets plenty of fiber that way.

cool setup...Anyone come up with a mounting point for non-roofrackers using the roof rack mounts to do a similar setup?
[/quote]

I wheeled with a guy in a Jeep who had a BLue Healer, he needed no limb risers, his dog rode in the back and would grab branches and toss em in the bed, by the time he was done for the day it looked like a brush picking truck.....prolly 200lbs of limbs :D

[quote author=Brentbba link=board=2;threadid=6476;start=msg52849#msg52849 date=1066666915]
Landpimp,

What's the white stuff under that beautiful white LC! Great pic with the dog! Woody ought to add that one to the home page.
[/quote]

that called snow :D

thats Beau dog :)

18548163.jpg

18547675.jpg

hard to see but there is a black lab.....named Bo in the cab of my 80........black Bo and Yellow Beau ::)

and yes the cheapy Napa markers are hooked up to the running lights, been like that for years.

John H

John - envious of your rig! Tell me about the upward-facing light on the PS of the ARB tube, and why's the head of your snorkel facing the rear?

The "upward" facing lights are Hella Safari work lamps, and they are adjustable. The snorkle is facing the rear to presumably inhale less snow/water, and the item mounted on the top is a GPS antenna.

-H-

Nice Truck John!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom