Brakes YIKES please help HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Perhaps but .000394 x 100,000 (~ # 100s sold in NA) = 39.4. So at least 38 more vehicles will have this happen at some point. :D
That's 0.000394 %, so that makes it 0.39 vehicles, if the number of vehicles on the road is 100k...

I agree the diagnosis sounds suspect unless some research finds that this is a Katrina mobile. Unfortunately the LC is more likely than most to have an attempt made at salvage due to it's high original and resale value.

My question is, if the calipers are all frozen how did the pads and rotors get worn out ? :confused:
Very true. Good Q. The wear might 'av 'append b4 tho'

My analysis doesn't take that into account, nor if the vehicle were submerged. :)

For 1LoudLX, if the probability is different for each wheel, you just use a different probability, p, and have a different binomial distribution for each wheel, then take the product of all four binomial results at the end since the outcomes are i.i.d. random variables by assumption. QED.

Jim,

I just finished reading (well, most of it) "God created the integers" by Stephen Hawking, so I'm in the mood for following and even understanding your figures. But I'm sure most 'mudders are at the verge of brain damage at this point :D

I'd print and take that analysis to the dealer, just for the fun of watching his face :confused: :mad: :rolleyes: :eek: :popcorn:

If all calipers are frozen, how could you drive it to the repair shop? :eek: :)

Either Way, the whole deal smells funny. I would still get the tundra/LX 570 brakes. Amazing opportunity.

My guess is it's the mechanics involved looking at the oppportunity here. ;) Thats assuming that the truck hasn't been running salt water for brake fluid.

I don't think the Tundra calipers could apply anymore braking force without changing input pressures from the MC. Most likely a simple swap would just distibute the same force over a larger brake pad. I've always found the 100s braking power limited by the traction between the tire and the road.

uHu - your math is stronger than my math. :) I'm no Steven Hawking for sure.

Last edited:
Impressive math. couldn't tell you if it was even close. Either Way, the whole deal smells funny. I would still get the tundra/LX 570 brakes. Amazing opportunity.

The potential problem w/ the tundra/570 calipers is they require more fluid, so if the master/booster in the 100 were a traditional type, I'd say the brakes will catch with the pedal lower to the floor. With the electronic booster/master, not sure.

The other option you can consider is the '03-07 LC brakes...front calipers are a different P/N than the 98-02 calipers, LC mag says pot sizes increased w/ the introduction of the 18" wheels. Front pads are also a different P/N for 03-07 (I believe they are physically the same size; anyone brave out there could try a set in their 98-02 calipers? Or after I install my new pads/rotors, someone could have mine...only 10K mi on them). Lexus website says the '03-'07 have a different brake force distribution (more in front?)

uHu is right, 3.94e-4 %, so about 4 in one MILLION vehicles. The probability is on the order of a correct DNA match.

Last edited:
I will never make fun of 100 tech again.

You obviously haven't been reading the Cygnus/LX badging thread still on page one of the 100 forum. :rolleyes: :D

Why is everyone talking about a brake swap? :frown: He hasn't complained about the quality of the brakes, but about the questionable requirement to replace all the parts. Lets not even get into the fact that the swaps proposed have not ever been done and there is no evidence they will work better, much less than even function properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom