Brake Rotor Dust Shield (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What are the consequences of running without the brake rotor dust shield?

Are they mean to keep brake dust off your car or road dust off your brakes?

For the third time in a year, I had a rock get lodged between the shield and the rotor. I can't stand the squealing so I have to remove the tire and dislodge the rock on the trail.

I drive the rig on the road but it's not my daily driver.

To help out an old thread....

The link doesn't work anymore. I'm wondering this question now as well but can't seem to find any answers specific to the 80.

it's not a problem to remove, the only problem is finding a ring to replace the dust shield, not sure if you can just run without the ring spacer, I have not been able to find a source for a replacement ring, you can always cut away at the stock backing plate and use that as a spacer

Thanks, but I dont have a stock plate to use. They were pretty beat up when I got the axles and I think I threw them away. (Stupid me)

What are the consequences of running without the brake rotor dust shield?

Are they mean to keep brake dust off your car or road dust off your brakes?

For the third time in a year, I had a rock get lodged between the shield and the rotor. I can't stand the squealing so I have to remove the tire and dislodge the rock on the trail.

I drive the rig on the road but it's not my daily driver.
I took off the shields last summer and have been fine without them, I did not use a ring or cut the shield. Only issue I’ve had is snow bashing packing snow and ice in there

I took off the shields last summer and have been fine without them, I did not use a ring or cut the shield. Only issue I’ve had is snow bashing packing snow and ice in there

Thanks for the reply. The more I look at it the only thing I could come up with is how far the wheel bearing dust seal goes into the hub. I haven't put it back together yet to see it but that's the only difference I could see. Maybe the thickness of the dust shield would push the wheel bearing dust seal further into the hub? Couldn't be by much...

It's a moot point now as a friend had some to give me.

Marlin Crawler sells a ring to replace the dust shield. i deleted mine with their ring

The ring is not needed, the shield can be left out. My guess, it is helpful in high speed cooling, like long downhills and splash water, so recovers, has better braking in street type wet conditions. That said, likely minor, know of a couple that don't have them, but they are mostly trail rigs.

This is what i used and have not had any issues

If you go PT and use Mark's 4WD ABS relocation kit you won't have backing plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom