Brake MC sounds like kIlling a goose. Source for OE parts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Driving the 2005 LC back from Knoxville yesterday, and we were about 5 miles from home when the most god-awful screeching sound started up. SCREECH, and then a pause of 3-5 seconds, then screech, etc, etc. Was clearly coming from either inside the dash or on the other side of the firewall. A quick exploration showed it was the brake master cylinder. I could actually see brake fluid spotting inside the reservoir when it screeched.

A quick search and I found many threads saying it's basically time to plunk down some big money and get it replaced. Isn't there a Toyota dealer who gives ih8mud members a nice discount on parts? I did a search using a few key words, but had no luck. Thanks in advance!!

Isn't there a Toyota dealer who gives ih8mud members a nice discount on parts?
Not anymore, at least not that I’m aware of. Fortunately, the price of a new booster assembly has come down about $1k. For a 2005, it’s now down to around $1400 (part #: 4705060043).

Not anymore, at least not that I’m aware of. Fortunately, the price of a new booster assembly has come down about $1k. For a 2005, it’s now down to around $1400 (part #: 4705060043).
Well, that's some good news at least. Odd that prices would come down on a part during worldwide supply chain slow downs. Thanks for the info.

I must be sheltered, I honestly have no idea what a goose being killed sounds like... They do not sound so great when alive either, admittedly.

I must be sheltered, I honestly have no idea what a goose being killed sounds like... They do not sound so great when alive either, admittedly.
. This not my video, someone else made this to document the noise.

A little more throaty than choking your chicken. 🤣 Seriously though, the price of the entire master cylinder/booster assembly has dropped by almost half, and in my mind it's now reasonable to just replace it with a new OEM and drive for another twenty years. There was a big sale until a couple of weeks ago and I have one on order. But the Toyota MSRP has come way down as jnkcruz said.

I think "Dying Seagull" is the official sound comparison (at least on MUD).

So maybe that will help. ;)

Typically with the sound ("Dying Seagull", "killing a goose") . We also see bubbles coming up front of reservoir simultaneously.

New brake master w/booster, is the best course of action.

Typically with the sound ("Dying Seagull", "killing a goose") . We also see bubbles coming up front of reservoir simultaneously.

New brake master w/booster, is the best course of action.

Yeah, I have that. When the squak happens, I see a spurt of fluid hitting the top of the reservoir.

Good you caught it now. Fluid under pressure passing a damaged seal, that we can not replaced. At least, I don't know of anybody that has. Over time, it will get worst. Than booster pump will run excessively long duration, and wear out (fail). When booster pumps fails, so do the brakes. No pressure, no usable brakes.

Good news: For some reason Toyota drop the price on master w/booster. Which is first price drop I know of. They're a great deal today. So much so, I wonder if it's a pricing error.

BTW: I've gone to using only Toyota brake fluid. Gives me peace of mind.
Toyota had a recall years ago, on 2005 -2007 (non 100 series). For brake masters seal failure. The TSB said seal failure due to non Toyota fluid used (off the shelf DOT-3). Not even Dealership use Toyota brake fluid these days. And Dealership are seeing a very high number of brake master failures.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with McGeorge Toyota. I bought an OEM steering rack from them, and the price was the best I could find. They sometimes run a free shipping deal or 10% off as well. Worth checking

Trouble is....some of the boosters are on National Back Order right now.

For instance: 47050-60010 (earlier models without stability control)

Good you caught it now. Fluid under pressure passing a damaged seal, that we can not replaced. At least, I don't know of anybody that has. Over time, it will get worst. Than booster pump will run excessively long duration, and wear out (fail). When booster pumps fails, so do the brakes. No pressure, no usable brakes.
^^^^^

Agree with this 100%

Warning light and tone from under dash....usually means you can replace the pump motor and accumulator and go on your way.

'Dying Seagull' is another matter. It is fluid getting past a seal (or seals) and I am not aware of any fix for that except to replace to replace the entire unit.

In either case...it is not to be ignored....because loss of 'boost' (in these heavy vehicles) essentially means loss of usable brakes. I'm a big strong guy and can't press on the pedal hard enough to have any appreciable effect.

Trouble is....some of the boosters are on National Back Order right now.

For instance: 47050-60010 (earlier models without stability control)
Yeah, The older brake master assembly w/booster (complet brake master) 47050-60010, you mentioned. Which has only 1 rear brake line. I've not been able to get, each time I've checked, for more than year now. I do have one on order now, just to see if it comes in. I hope for the sake of those with 98-99, they make some more.

BTW: For those that care:
Brake master assemblies can be bought as a whole or broken down by components. The 2 main components are Master and the booster assembly w/accumulator. In 2020, to buy these two separably, and put together to make a whole master. Cost ~$100 more than just buying the whole master w/booster assy. Than around the first of this year, separately purchased components cost about $1k more. WTF!

Master w/boosters assembly (the whole assembly). This is what Deanship install for ~$4.5K to $6K. The whole assembly today (part only) is a great deal.
Master. (The main body w/black ABS box on the side, no booster assy)
Booster motor w/pump and accumulator.
Booster motor w/pump.
Accumulator.

For the 05LC or LX USA 100 series: 47050-60043 is the one I get. Which is what @JunkCrzr89 posted above. But always use your VIN# when ordering.

IIRC: Toyota gives 5 different number for the USA market, for the whole assembly. Although I know of only 3 difference: 98-99 (one rear brake line), First halve of 2000 (first to get 2 rear brake lines and pressure sensor), second halve of 2000-2007. IIRC: Toyota also has one for 00-02, but I've no idea of why. They also list w/ or w/o VCS. Bottom line use your VIN#

Also inspect them closely. We've been seeing shipping damage. They're breaking a plastic hanger on the side of ABS unit, we don't use it. But it does indicate a hard impact, which concerns me. As there are valves and electronic in the ABS unit ( black box on the side).

Yeah, The older brake master assembly w/booster (complet brake master) 47050-60010, you mentioned. Which has only 1 rear brake line. I've not been able to get, each time I've checked, for more than year now. I do have one on order now, just to see if it comes in. I hope for the sake of those with 98-99, they make some more.

Brake master assemblies can be bought as a whole or broken down by components. The 2 main components are Master and the booster assembly w/accumulator. In 2020, to buy these two separably, and put together to make a whole master. Cost ~$100 more than just buying the whole master w/booster assy. Than around the first of this year, separately purchased components cost about $1k more. WTF!

Master w/boosters assembly (the whole assembly). This is what Deanship install for ~$4.5K to $6K. The whole assembly today (part only) is a great deal.
Booster motor w/pump.
Accumulator.

For the 05LC or LX USA 100 series: 47050-60043 is the one I get. Which is what @JunkCrzr89 posted above. But always use your VIN# when ordering.

IIRC: Toyota gives 5 different number for the USA market, for the whole assembly. Although I know of only 3 difference: 98-99 (one rear brake line), First halve of 2000 (first to get 2 rear brake lines and pressure sensor), second halve of 2000-2007. IIRC: Toyota also has one for 00-02, but I've no idea of why. They also list w/ or w/o VCS. Bottom line use your VIN#

Also inspect them closely. We've been seeing shipping damage. They're breaking a plastic hanger on the side of ABS unit, we don't use it. But it does indicate a hard impact, which concerns me. As there are valves and electronic in the ABS unit ( black box on the side).
Based on my VIN, McGeorge Toyota is specifying part number 47025-60043 for my rig. Any insight on that different part number, which is different from what both you and @JunkCrzr89 suggested? They are also showing a price of $1154.76, which is not unappealing.

47025-60043 is Just Master

47050-60043 is the whole deal. Master and booster. It is well worth it for $1310. It includes the Booster motor assembly for just ~$160 more. Save time, and money in the long run.

If your ordered already. Call them and CXL, now. Then reorder. You'll thank me!

Master with booster assy. The very beast deal.
4705060043.jpg

Just booster assy (accumulator, motor, pump and bake control wire)
4707060010.jpg

Just booster motor w/pump and brake control wire
4796060010.jpg

Paul I have a friend trying to source the entire unit (47050-60010) but I've called around and even looked overseas. Seems none available at the moment and no ETA for future availability. We are trying to weigh his options.

I can find the 47070-60010 (pump motor and accumulator). So are you saying if I can find a 'Master' for his year model (1998 LC) we can pair the two parts and make a complete unit? And IF so....do you happen to know that part number?

47025-60043 is Just Master

47050-60043 is the whole deal. Master and booster. It is well worth it for $1310. It includes the Booster motor assembly for just ~$160 more. Save time, and money in the long run.

If your ordered already. Call them and CXL, now. Then reorder. You'll thank me!
Cancelled the previous order, and placed order for the RIGHT part number!! They had no problem doing that. Thank you so much for catching my error!!!

Now I wait to see if they are actually able to source the part. I'll believe it when I get shipping/tracking info. 🤞🤞🤞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom