Brake Booster Successfully Replaced in '90 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Despite new OEM front discs, Aisin ceramic pads, and master cylinder when knuckles done recently, brakes were weak at slow speeds. First bled the system exhaustively and adjusted rear brakes. Still problematic. Brake booster seemed okay until a re-check this week, and it was not holding vacuum. The search was on for a booster. It was surprisingly easily found at Auto Zone. It's a Duralast remanufactured 88808. Duralast Remanufactured Brake Power Booster 88808

Also replaced the vacuum lines and check valve.

Full disclosure--there is much I can and have done on this vehicle in it's 30 years, including much of the past year's restoration, but...I now choose to have many things done by my local shop. All this brake work was done by them. Yes more expensive, but with a terrific warranty from a terrific shop where a young mechanic is getting quite experienced with the 62.

I hope this booster find is helpful to folks.

20191016_102915_resized.jpg

Curious to hear how long it lasts. Fortunately unless there's a serious flaw in the assembly, a simple part with rubber diaphragms is hard to mess up. I just wish there was a definitive bolt-in (or requiring minimal modification) upgrade for the 60/62 series booster using still available OEM Toyota parts.

Your super lucky.....I'm having a ton of trouble with finding a 60 booster. I called TPI4x4, he has a shortage of them as well. My Auto Zone said it is not available at all. I wonder how different a 60 is from a 62? I am still looking around but am considering pulling it off and sending to Tpi for rebuild. He would prefer i send core in first.....at least 2 wk turn around.

I’m glad to see your brakes are back to normal.
80 series booster and master is a very effective upgrade.

I just wish there was a definitive bolt-in (or requiring minimal modification) upgrade for the 60/62 series booster using still available OEM Toyota parts.
It's not OE Toyota, but City Racer carries a dual diaphragm OEM Japanese booster. Bolts right in and works great.

It's not OE Toyota, but City Racer carries a dual diaphragm OEM Japanese booster. Bolts right in and works great.

I tried to get to the City Racer site, but the were (temporarily) "closed."

@4runner2FJ60...Good question on 60/62. IIRC, there is a difference, but not to say the 62 would not work on a 60...but possibly not vice versa. (?) I kept the OEM booster, and will send it to be rebuilt so that I'll have a spare. I just searched the Auto Zone site for a booster for a 1985 60. No dice. :frown:

@cruiserpilot...I was not certain of what you meant on the 80 master and booster upgrade. To my knowledge, this is a booster for the 1990 FJ62. I know the master is for the 62. Are both different in the (early) 80? If I plug in a 1992 80 at the Auto Zone site, the same booster comes up.

Thanks for the response. I got the same issue with city racer.....closed until the 25th.
Not trying to hijack this thread, but i am trying one more thing........Last night i decided to remove all the non functional aftermarket cruise control stuff!!!! I was amazed at how much crap there was. See pic......not only does the engine bay seem desmogged, but under the dash is much improved. I am left with a 1.25" empty hole thru the firewall (not sure why they made it so big) and needing a new upper brake booster hose. They put a T fitting on it cutting the original hose at the bend. There was a glimmer of hope that maybe the extra vacuum this would provide to the booster might be enough to make certain its busted. Any suggestions on filling the hole and or replacement hose would be awesome? THanks

2019-10-17 16.19.23.jpg

2019-10-16 17.18.37.jpg

2019-10-16 17.17.46.jpg

Thanks for the response. I got the same issue with city racer.....closed until the 25th.
Not trying to hijack this thread, but i am trying one more thing........Last night i decided to remove all the non functional aftermarket cruise control stuff!!!! I was amazed at how much crap there was. See pic......not only does the engine bay seem desmogged, but under the dash is much improved. I am left with a 1.25" empty hole thru the firewall (not sure why they made it so big) and needing a new upper brake booster hose. They put a T fitting on it cutting the original hose at the bend. There was a glimmer of hope that maybe the extra vacuum this would provide to the booster might be enough to make certain its busted. Any suggestions on filling the hole and or replacement hose would be awesome? THanks

View attachment 2110090

View attachment 2110091

View attachment 2110092
As far as the hole, I'd say prep it with some POR15 or some other rust protectant product to keep the exposed edge of the sheet metal from corroding, then get a grommet style rubber plug from somewhere like McMaster that you can just push into place. In the channel of the plug that the sheet metal goes into, I'd also put a small amount of grease in it to further prevent water intrustion against the sheet metal.

@4runner2FJ60 ...no worries. What a mess, huh. I've seen a vacuum cruise control under the hood of another mud member's 62 hood. He didn't know what is was. I had the aftermarket servo electric type put in mine right after buying it in 1990. It still works like a champ. They are still available. You can search around here because it's been discussed recently.

On the brake vacuum hose, you can easily get that (the re-enforced kind) in the proper inner diameter. My shop had it in bulk stock. They just cut off two lengths to replace mine. You could even probably pop in to any generic shop like a Firestone or brake shop and tell them what you want/need, and they'll sell you a piece.

A 1995 4 runner booster will bolt right up and they work great. Also they are dirt cheap at the junkyard and there a ton of them available.

Dyno

A 1995 4 runner booster will bolt right up and they work great. Also they are dirt cheap at the junkyard and there a ton of them available.

Dyno
Are they different between with or without ABS?

I do not know
And I am pretty sure other years would work fine too. I have also used 80 series boosters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom