Brake Booster Assembly With Master Cylinder Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you JunkCrzr89! I am still trying to sort out a techstream install. For the time being, what are alternatives to bleeding the electronic/ABS ? I’m trying to square this away to avoid other potential catastrophe like burning out my new brake booster pump. Thanks!
You could use a vacuum bleeder to get the air out at each caliper, just make sure you have the key to OFF and pump the pedal 30-40 times until it drops out before you start bleeding. To do the ABS without Techstream, the next easiest thing to do (after you’ve done the above bleeding) is drive on a dirt or gravel road and slam the brakes a few times to activate the ABS.

For those who want to change this part, here is a great deal.

1647487140588.png

only $1027.99 Shipped

$500 less than what I paid few weeks ago.

Thank you JunkCrzr89! I am still trying to sort out a techstream install. For the time being, what are alternatives to bleeding the electronic/ABS ? I’m trying to square this away to avoid other potential catastrophe like burning out my new brake booster pump. Thanks!
Amazon product ASIN B097YC5LSR
I bought this one and it works great.

Thanks for the Tip @TSXlg!

1669417954281.png

Posting here because my question doesn't warrant its own thread I think. I ordered P/N 47050-60043 from Decatur recently using a similar deal as posted above. My LX470 has 145,000 mi and no problems with the current booster/master assembly, but I bought a spare to have on-hand to hopefully make it so that this is a "forever" vehicle in terms of the supply of a part that is 1) critical for safety and 2) expensive and maybe one day unavailable.

The description for 47050-60043 on Decatur says "Cylinder Assy, Brake Master W/Fluid" whereas at every other Toyota shop there's no mention of fluid. I thought when I ordered that it would include a bottle of Toyota fluid packaged separately from the reservoir. However, I was surprised to see when the part showed up this weekend that it is covered in brake fluid and it looks like the reservoir was filled at least partially with fluid upon shipment, but subsequently leaked all over the part and the box it shipped in. Has anyone else encountered this before with P/N 47050-60043, i.e. does it always ship with some fluid in it? My understanding is that brake fluid overfilling is a contributor to the booster failure observed in the 100-series so I am a little hesitant to put the part (brake fluid coating and all) back in the box for years to come.

With all of that said I am wondering what others might recommend here. Options include either 1) cleaning the part well with isopropyl alcohol before re-bagging for storage if these always ship with fluid or it's to be expected, or 2) returning the part and ordering it from another dealer when there's another promotion if this shouldn't ship "wet". Thanks in advance for any guidance!

EDIT: paging @2001LC if you don't mind giving a quick opinion - I defer to you as the brake expert on the 100-series!

IMG_5289.jpg

IMG_5288.jpg

IMG_5286.jpg

Last edited:
Posting here because my question doesn't warrant its own thread I think. I ordered P/N 47050-60043 from Decatur recently using a similar deal as posted above. My LX470 has 145,000 mi and no problems with the current booster/master assembly, but I bought a spare to have on-hand to hopefully make it so that this is a "forever" vehicle in terms of the supply of a part that is 1) critical for safety and 2) expensive and maybe one day unavailable.

The description for 47050-60043 on Decatur says "Cylinder Assy, Brake Master W/Fluid" whereas at every other Toyota shop there's no mention of fluid. I thought when I ordered that it would include a bottle of Toyota fluid packaged separately from the reservoir. However, I was surprised to see when the part showed up this weekend that it is covered in brake fluid and it looks like the reservoir was filled at least partially with fluid upon shipment, but subsequently leaked all over the part and the box it shipped in. Has anyone else encountered this before with P/N 47050-60043, i.e. does it always ship with some fluid in it? My understanding is that brake fluid overfilling is a contributor to the booster failure observed in the 100-series so I am a little hesitant to put the part (brake fluid coating and all) back in the box for years to come.

With all of that said I am wondering what others might recommend here. Options include either 1) cleaning the part well with isopropyl alcohol before re-bagging for storage if these always ship with fluid or it's to be expected, or 2) returning the part and ordering it from another dealer when there's another promotion if this shouldn't ship "wet". Thanks in advance for any guidance!

EDIT: paging @2001LC if you don't mind giving a quick opinion - I defer to you as the brake expert on the 100-series!

View attachment 3578723

View attachment 3578724

View attachment 3578725
Brake master does not come prefilled with brake fluid. You'll need ~6 to 7 bottles of Toyota, when ready to flush vehicle or install this master. It can be done with 5 bottles, but you may run short. I move extra through, so I use 7..

Manufacture ads a tiny bit of fluid, I assume as a lubricate/conditioner for seals. Boxes states clearly on outside: THIS SIDE UP. These shipper toss and roll these boxes, disregarding any thing said. FSM states to bench flush it out.

Two choices:
  • Clean all fluid off master. Make sure wires, wire sheath and inside boots are dry.
  • Put in shipping claim, for miss handle box. (I just clean)

Brake master does not come prefilled with brake fluid. You'll need ~6 to 7 bottles of Toyota, when ready to flush vehicle or install this master. It can be done with 5 bottles, but you may run short. I move extra through, so I use 7..

Manufacture ads a tiny bit of fluid, I assume as a lubricate/conditioner for seals. Boxes states clearly on outside: THIS SIDE UP. These shipper toss and roll these boxes, disregarding any thing said. FSM states to bench flush it out.

Two choices:
  • Clean all fluid off master. Make sure wires, wire sheath and inside boots are dry.
  • Put in shipping claim, for miss handle box. (I just clean)

Roger that - thanks a ton for the background info. Was scratching my head as to why there was fluid in it but it makes sense to condition seals for longer-term storage. You were absolutely right about the lack of a "this side up" sticker or label on the box I received. I am going to go with your first choice since I suspect any other master unit that I could order would run into the same thing during shipping. Thanks again for chiming in!

Roger that - thanks a ton for the background info. Was scratching my head as to why there was fluid in it but it makes sense to condition seals for longer-term storage. You were absolutely right about the lack of a "this side up" sticker or label on the box I received. I am going to go with your first choice since I suspect any other master unit that I could order would run into the same thing during shipping. Thanks again for chiming in!
To be clear. Box is clearly labeled this "side up". It's preprinted symbols "Side Up" and "Fragile". The issue is the carrier. You can sticker them and you want, GLASS, FAGILE, THIS SIDE UP, etc.

Other than local pickup. Decatur is the only Dealership I'll order Masters, FDS, Radiators, mufflers or any part that tends to get shipping damage. Decatur (Eric) opens the OEM parts box and repacks. His boxes can be bounced from 10' and rolled down a bumpy hill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom