BP-51 install complete!! - tweak phase begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why not add a winch in front and get the rake back?

That way you still enjoy the ride of the current setup and add something useful at same time.

That was my first thought. The only reason is money. After BP-51, 5 new wheel and 5 new tires plus flushing and repressurizing my KDSS, lve burned a lot of cash which I may need now for toilet paper hoarding. :flush:

Took first +100 mile trip down to our lake place. The ride was great. I knew that the lift and next size up tires would not help the gas milage but whoa I think I just took a 3 or 4 mph hit on the highway. I’ve effectively reduced my range by +20%. Also the difference in mpg between 75-80 mph and 65 mph is more than it was with stock suspension and tires. Yeah, I know - duh. I also noticed that the mpg on the dash is about 5% low because of the tires. It’s weird how the speedo is now right but the odometer is wrong. It makes sense though because the speedo is wrong from the factory on purpose and the OD is correct. Change the tires and this is what happens.

now I’ll need my cash for gas and an aux fuel tank.

Took first +100 mile trip down to our lake place. The ride was great. I knew that the lift and next size up tires would not help the gas milage but whoa I think I just took a 3 or 4 mph hit on the highway. I’ve effectively reduced my range by +20%. Also the difference in mpg between 75-80 mph and 65 mph is more than it was with stock suspension and tires. Yeah, I know - duh. I also noticed that the mpg on the dash is about 5% low because of the tires. It’s weird how the speedo is now right but the odometer is wrong. It makes sense though because the speedo is wrong from the factory on purpose and the OD is correct. Change the tires and this is what happens.

now I’ll need my cash for gas and an aux fuel tank.

Good thing gas is cheap right now....

Pretty happy with it so far but I’m obsessing over rake vs level vs rear sag with load in the back.

I talked to Christo about spacers in the rear and that is an option but he asked if the front had the right preload. It was set at the correct preload by the installer but I don’t know how to verify that. He said to check the wheel drop by lifting the truck to see how high the fender lifts with tire just barely off the ground. So I did that at the front wheel can drop 3 1/8”. He said it should be 50 to 60 mm which is 2 to 2 1/2”. Since I’m above the range I’m not really sure what that means. In my mind, if the installer just left the factory preload (set for bar and winch) then my front would ride a little high because I don’t have the winch and my wheel drop would be less than it should be because the wheels would be lower relative to the body to begin with. Since I have more wheel drop than what Christo says, it seems ok to me.

also, how much does a winch weigh? I can sit on my bumper and it only drops an 1/8” or so. I would think it would be more the damper settings that would be critical.

I’m running LT285/70R17 KO2s on Rock Warriors and my speedometer is dead on comparing the dial with GPS. Odometer is a different story ~5% off

Curious how that is possible? Distance traveled directly related to speed and time. Is there something correcting the speedo but not the odometer?

the speedo is wrong from the factory on purpose and the OD is correct.

I didn't realize this. Source?

Last edited:
Curious how that is possible? Distance traveled directly related to speed and time. Is there something correcting the speedo but not the odometer?

I didn't realize this. Source?
When I searched for speedo correction or something like that I found a thread on here that said that there is some law in Japan that makes it illegal for a speedo to read low, so Toyota sets them to purposely read high. The LC is a made in Japan Toyota.

the speedo and OD can be different because the signal to each is different. OD is wheel rpm and speedo is something else and a factor is applied or something like that. GPS shows this on a trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom